We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: "Beacon" on 4545khz?  (Read 2582 times)

Offline melliferal

• View Profile
"Beacon" on 4545khz?
« on: February 19, 2012, 0539 UTC »
Does anybody else hear a strong, pulsing beacon between 4540 and 4550 khz?  I don't scan this band often so it may be something normal that I just don't recognize.  Been hearing it pretty steady since I first tuned this frequency around 0520u.
Alexandria, LA
melliferal[AT]yahoo.com
Grundig G6 Buzz Aldrin Edition, whip antenna

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile
Re: "Beacon" on 4545khz?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 1438 UTC »
There is a lot of CODAR in that range of frequencies, could that be what you are hearing?  Example of CODAR here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zupfLO1PjrA

Keep in mind that I was in USB mode for that video, AM and LSB would each sound slightly different.  AM, in particular, would have a less sharp tone and be more buzzy.

T!
T!
Mojave Desert, California USA

Offline melliferal

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 0511 UTC »
Yes that's exactly what it was - mystery solved!  I wouldn't mind trying to find out who exactly was using it or where from, but unfortunately such is beyond my technical capability as of yet.
Alexandria, LA
melliferal[AT]yahoo.com
Grundig G6 Buzz Aldrin Edition, whip antenna

cmradio

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 0401 UTC »
CODAR stations dot the coast from Alaska, down the BC coast and into the US, locally to me. Pretty much impossible to tell which is running at one time as often two or more do.

Google "CODAR" and there's a map, IIRC of the stations worldwide.

Swish-swish!
Swish-swish!
Swish-swish!

Peace!

Swish-swish!
Swish-swish!
Swish-swish!

:D

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground Garden Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns