We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: JUN smashes the 2000 miles distance !!  (Read 1679 times)

Offline Vic

• View Profile
    • Email
JUN smashes the 2000 miles distance !!
« on: March 02, 2020, 2327 UTC »
Very happy to report that JUN beacon, located in central Florida, has been heard by VO1FOG in Newfoundland ......that's a distance of 2014 miles +/- a couple of miles. The audio recording was very clear with a  good strength.

Not bad for 4.5mW ;-)

Vic GW4JUN

Offline kc3gfz

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: JUN smashes the 2000 miles distance !!
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2020, 1947 UTC »
Hi Vic,

Congrats! It is awesome that you were heard from so far way. I myself got a record distance report from Larry too. He has a really good antenna setup and rig. Distance was about 1,400 miles for beacon "abby". Very impressive what low power can do in the SW band. I am running just a little over 3mw power currently.

Chris

Offline Vic

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2020, 0405 UTC »
Hi Chris

Congrats to you too !

I think propagation is not as good as last year at this time. Last year I heard four beacons but none this year. I admit I have noot listened very much as I have to switch JUN off in order to scan the band but nothing so far. Not many reports of JUN either but Larry's recording has made up for all that !!

I will make a special effort to listen out for ABBY

73 Vic W4/GW4JUN

Offline KM0NAS

• Minnesota
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2020, 0039 UTC »
Congratulations, that's a good distance.
*KM0NAS*
Yaesu FT-891
Kenwood TS-570D
Soft66RTL2
40 meter dipoles @ 40' height
20 meter dipoles @ 40' height
10 meter vertical @ 16' height
Beacon MN on 13562.8