We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Oregon Engineer Makes History With New Traffic Light Timing Formula  (Read 1392 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
The vote vindicates the theory of Mats Järlström, who was fined $500 by the Oregon State Board of Examiners for Engineering and Land Surveying for publicly criticizing traffic light timing without first obtaining a professional engineering license.

https://ij.org/press-release/oregon-engineer-makes-history-with-new-traffic-light-timing-formula/
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline KaySeeks

• DX Legend
  • Quebec. Vive la différence.
    • View Profile
They could use some revision to the light timing formula in California. I've never seen such ridiculously short yellow lights anywhere else in the world.
Just somebody with a radio, a computer and a pair of headphones...

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
The vote vindicates the theory of Mats Järlström, who was fined $500 by the Oregon State Board of Examiners for Engineering and Land Surveying for publicly criticizing traffic light timing without first obtaining a professional engineering license.

https://ij.org/press-release/oregon-engineer-makes-history-with-new-traffic-light-timing-formula/

Fined $500 for public criticism?  So much for freedom of speech.

...And they tried to force a gag order on him to boot.  Nice state government they got there.

+-RH
« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 2027 UTC by redhat »
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline Charlie_Dont_Surf

• Charlie's Point, California
    • View Profile
They could use some revision to the light timing formula in California. I've never seen such ridiculously short yellow lights anywhere else in the world.

Yup.

Depends upon where you are but where I am, in certain parts of town, you won't even be able to get halfway across the road in a car before the light turns yellow for about 0.25 to 0.5 seconds then red. There are certain lights where it is virtually impossible to not be running a red light making a left turn unless you own a car with fantastic acceleration.
I don't STRETCH the truth.

"Every minute I spend in this room, my signal gets weaker.
Every minute Charlie squats in the bush, his signal gets stronger."

Matt285

Traffic signal controllers will not go go any lower than 5 seconds of Green and no lower than 2.5 secs of Yellow timing most cases are 2.5-3. The controller will not except values any lower. Source- I program them.

Matt285

If the posted speed limit is 25 (or less) mph the minimum yellow interval is 3.0 seconds (this includes both right and left hand turns). * If the posted speed limit is 35 mph the minimum yellow interval is 3.6 seconds. If the posted speed limit is 45 mph the minimum yellow interval is 4.3 seconds. These timings come into play a lot in cases where Red light running cameras are. There have been cases where incorrect (too short) Yellow timings were programmed and the cases were thrown out. Many other factors come into play also, especially if you have intuitive systems (they're not always so intuitive) Preemption, Pedestrian crossings etc.

Offline Charlie_Dont_Surf

• Charlie's Point, California
    • View Profile
Traffic signal controllers will not go go any lower than 5 seconds of Green and no lower than 2.5 secs of Yellow timing most cases are 2.5-3. The controller will not except values any lower. Source- I program them.

OK, but it appears that you are not programming them out here.
I don't STRETCH the truth.

"Every minute I spend in this room, my signal gets weaker.
Every minute Charlie squats in the bush, his signal gets stronger."

Matt285

This is true.

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground T-Shirt
by MitchellTimeDesigns