We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissable in your locale.

Author Topic: Kiwi SDRs  (Read 319 times)

Offline Thermionic

• View Profile
Kiwi SDRs
« on: March 12, 2020, 2207 UTC »
Why is it these SDRs have time limits. Some cease to be active after so long.

Sorry, this KiwiSDR has an inactivity timeout after 30 minutes.
Reload the page to continue.

While there are others who cut out altogether and then this comes on the screen.

Sorry, this KiwiSDR can only be used for 30 minutes every 24 hours by each IP address.
Please check kiwisdr.com/public for more KiwiSDR receivers available world-wide.

If you have an exemption password from the KiwiSDR owner/admin
please enter it here:
Password:

I was listening to Shanwick radio on the emeraldSDR QRG 5598, On the waterfall I also saw Shanwick wkg flights on 5649. I duplicated the tab on browser, so I would be able to listen to 5598 and 5649 simultaneously.  When I clicked on the tab I saw this.

Multiple connections from the same ip address not allowed.
Client ip =

At least you don't get that sort of thing on the likes of Twente,  NA5B and K3FEF et al.

Offline Josh

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Kiwi SDRs
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2020, 2331 UTC »
This and a few other thoughts have made me want to get a kiwi. Mostly due the fact you can tune anywhere in the hf spectrum and not be limited to only vrx tuning within a few MHz.
Dunno if I'd share it however.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline ve6jy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2020, 0708 UTC »
The fact that you have to ask why there are time limits is also the reason there are time limits.

Offline Thermionic

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2020, 1048 UTC »
The fact that you have to ask why there are time limits is also the reason there are time limits.

Thank heaven for SDRs like Twente, NA5B and K3FEF et al, at least I can switch the computer off at night, go to bed and when I switch it on in the morning, I find I haven't timed out due to inactivity.

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2020, 1118 UTC »
The Twente SDR is able to handle a large number of users at one time, I forget what the limit is, it could be 100 or more. KiwiSDRs are generally limited to 4 users due to the hardware. So if you camp out on one for hours at a time, you're preventing others from using it.

Thank heaven for SDRs like Twente, NA5B and K3FEF et al, at least I can switch the computer off at night, go to bed and when I switch it on in the morning, I find I haven't timed out due to inactivity.

Please don't tell me you stay connected to an SDR overnight, while not actively using it.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 670 ft horizontal loop / 500 ft northeast beverage / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD/ 300 ft south beverage / 43m / 20m / 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline KaySeeks

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2020, 2227 UTC »
Why is it these SDRs have time limits.

Some are even shorter than 30 minutes. The one near Athens, Greece has a 15-minute timeout and also a limit on usage over 24 hours. ASK ME HOW I KNOW THIS.  :D

Some cease to be active after so long.

and some will freeze up with no warning. You can then click over to the users tab and see if there were 4 users when it froze. They don't tend to become unfrozen so you end up refreshing the page. And if there are a lot of people looking for a "seat" on the receiver, you might then lose your place when you refresh it because someone else will slip in and take your spot.

C'est la vie.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 2336 UTC by KaySeeks »
Just somebody with a radio, a computer and a pair of headphones...

Online Ray Lalleu

• DX Legend
  • Western Europe, Western part of France
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2020, 0957 UTC »
The Twente SDR is able to handle a large number of users at one time, I forget what the limit is, it could be 100 or more.

The Twente SDR displays how many users are currently connected, and I remember it's always in the 400 range.

What bothers me with so many Kiwi SDRs is the RFI noise level they suffer on SW. Why purchase a not so cheap piece of hardware, spend time installing it on a PC, spend part of limited upload flow, and not chasing the RFI around, not installing a good receiving antenna ?
D/E/F/G/It/Sp : Dutch/English/French/German/Italian/Spanish
Balanced wire antennas, wire lines and ATU
Ray, western France.

Offline Thermionic

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2020, 1010 UTC »
The Twente SDR is able to handle a large number of users at one time, I forget what the limit is, it could be 100 or more. KiwiSDRs are generally limited to 4 users due to the hardware. So if you camp out on one for hours at a time, you're preventing others from using it.

Please don't tell me you stay connected to an SDR overnight, while not actively using it.

The reason why I stay connected is because I have my browser set to restore previous session.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 1041 UTC by Thermionic »