We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: HAARP transmissions  (Read 4485 times)

Offline zackers

• View Profile
HAARP transmissions
« on: February 14, 2012, 0026 UTC »
I've been monitoring the HAARP transmissions from Alaska for quite a while. You can usually get a feel for what frequencies they are transmitting on by looking at the HAARP HF spectrum monitor waterfall at:

http://www.haarp.alaska.edu/data/spectrum2/www/hf.html

Look for the bright yellow bands such as those for the chart on Feb. 12, 2012. I can't get the exact frequency from the chart but I can usually guess within 100 kHz from it. On this chart, at about 0650Z it showed a band near 4500 kHz. That's where I found the signal - 4500 kHz. They changed the frequency at 0700Z and I found the new signal at 3250 kHz.

In this case the signal consisted of one continuous steady carrier with another carrier sweeping slowly up through the other carrier repeatedly every 10 seconds or so. That particular signal is fairly easy to find. In the past, they have also transmitted a series of carriers that would last 10 seconds and then move up in frequency 5.25 kHz over and over repeatedly in the range of 2.7 to 2.9 MHz.

Of course, there were the famous 7 MHz EME experiments a few years ago. I heard the moon echoes about 70% of the time.
East Central Illinois
TS-850S, 40 meter full-wave loop, various dipoles

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Re: HAARP transmissions
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 1902 UTC »
Thanks for the link to the spectrum monitor. HAARP has been one of those things I keep meaning to try and pick up, but never manage to.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline melliferal

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 0649 UTC »
Could someone be so kind as to describe (a WAV or video would be just grand) what the HAARP transmitter usually sounds like?  I'd like to try to pick it up as well.  I've tried searching online for such a video or sound file but all I can find are videos from loons attributing every chirp and warble to HAARP, or raving about "ULF" transmissions and other assorted silliness.
Alexandria, LA
melliferal[AT]yahoo.com
Grundig G6 Buzz Aldrin Edition, whip antenna

Offline jFarley

• Marconi Class DXer
  • near Chicago
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 0306 UTC »
HAARP being noted now 4820kHz at 0303z with a fair signal.
Joe Farley, Near Chicago
SDR-IQ / R8 / R7
Remote Resonant Loops for HF and LF / ALA 1530
Active 60" Whip / PA0RDT
QSLS appreciated to:    jfarley44@att.net

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 1524 UTC »
Could someone be so kind as to describe (a WAV or video would be just grand) what the HAARP transmitter usually sounds like?  I'd like to try to pick it up as well.  I've tried searching online for such a video or sound file but all I can find are videos from loons attributing every chirp and warble to HAARP, or raving about "ULF" transmissions and other assorted silliness.

HAARP uses many waveforms.  The most common mode is what looks like a simple dead carrier with a very slight modulation on it.  Last night modulation lines on 50 Hz and 360 Hz were noted.  At least the 50 Hz appears intentional, I suppose the 360 Hz could be 60 Hz mains hum, but it really does not look like it.

Some of the more interesting modes are sweeping and stepping tones.  Two nights ago it produced an LFMCW signal that I had not seen before.  LFMCW is what is used by most HF OTHRs, so they may have been doing some kind of radar like experiment. 

Examples of some HAARP waveforms here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrZfSeYbn2g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5IevSxeQV4

T!
T!
Mojave Desert, California USA

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, 1618 UTC »
HAARP being noted now 4820kHz at 0303z with a fair signal.

Who noted it on 4820 at 0303z and where was this noted?  What waveform was it using?

HAARP was active from about 0000 to about 0700 UTC 25/02/2012.  It used multiple frequencies from a high of 6800 kHz (starting 0301z) to a low of 2850 kHz (multiple time periods).  But, it did not use 4820 kHz during this window, at least not that I can tell and not as shown on the HAARP waterfall.  The closest it got to 4820 kHz was during the time period 0450z to 0505z, at that time it was on 4900 kHz with alternating high and low power conditions (30 dB power delta during these conditions), during the high power mode there was a 360 Hz modulation present and a second carrier (or possibly an LSB only modulation) around 45-50 Hz below the main carrier.

At 0303z HAARP was on 6800 kHz, it started using this frequency at 0301z.  At 0309z it changed to 5200 kHz, and at 0312z it switched back to 6800 kHz.  Prior to this activity, starting at 0251z and going to 0259z, HAARP was using multiple stepped and swept waveforms centered on 5500 kHz, with excursions as far as 5490 and 5510 kHz.

T!
T!
Mojave Desert, California USA

Offline melliferal

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2012, 1837 UTC »

HAARP uses many waveforms.  The most common mode is what looks like a simple dead carrier with a very slight modulation on it.  Last night modulation lines on 50 Hz and 360 Hz were noted.  At least the 50 Hz appears intentional, I suppose the 360 Hz could be 60 Hz mains hum, but it really does not look like it.

Some of the more interesting modes are sweeping and stepping tones.  Two nights ago it produced an LFMCW signal that I had not seen before.  LFMCW is what is used by most HF OTHRs, so they may have been doing some kind of radar like experiment. 

Examples of some HAARP waveforms here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrZfSeYbn2g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5IevSxeQV4

T!

Excellent!  Now that I know what to listen for, I'll keep an ear out when I see something on the waterfall.  Thanks.
Alexandria, LA
melliferal[AT]yahoo.com
Grundig G6 Buzz Aldrin Edition, whip antenna

Offline zackers

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 1857 UTC »
Most of the recent tests/transmissions have been solid carriers that last anywhere from 5 or 10 seconds to many minutes. I've also heard two-carrier signals lately, where on carrier stays on a frequency and another sweeps up or down through the first carrier.

Here in Illinois the carriers usually have a distinctive auroral flutter sound to them.

Note - it appears they were doing a series of experiments from February 4 to February 26, 2012. As of today (Mar. 5) there haven't been any transmissions since about 0700Z on Feb. 26.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 1901 UTC by zackers »
East Central Illinois
TS-850S, 40 meter full-wave loop, various dipoles