We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Davy Jones, actor and member of the Monkees, has died  (Read 2788 times)

Fansome

Davy Jones, actor and member of the Monkees, has died
« on: February 29, 2012, 2124 UTC »
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/music_blog/2012/02/davy-jones-monkees-died-.html

Davy Jones, actor and member of the Monkees, has died
February 29, 2012 | 11:07 am

Davy Jones, the British Invasion-era singer who became a household heartthrob as a member of the Monkees, has died in Florida.

The Martin County Medical Examiner’s Office in Florida confirmed Wednesday morning that they had been notified of Jones’ death but would provide no other details. He was 66.

Before the Monkees, Jones earned acclaim as the Artful Dodger in the London production of "Oliver!"

The band, which also featured Peter Tork, Michael Nesmith and Micky Dolenz, were formed in 1966 for an NBC television show during the peak of Beatlemania, and the quirky comedy became an American hit.

In 2011, the Monkees (minus Nesmith) reunited for a 45th anniversary tour that landed at the Greek Theatre in July. The band performed many of its string of hits, including "I'm a Believer," "Last Train to Clarksville" and "Pleasant Valley Sunday."

Jones was scheduled to perform Monkees songs at a March 31 concert at the La Mirada Theatre in La Mirada.

Offline L Cee

• East Coast - USA
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Davy Jones, actor and member of the Monkees, has died
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 0141 UTC »
I watch their old show often. Now that is real entertainment...not like the crap they air these days.
L Cee
East Coast - USA

Offline Zane

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
  • hearing the negative waves
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 0221 UTC »
Fortunately, Davy's family will always be able to count on those royalty checks from Axl Rose. When you rip off the dance, you gotta pay  ;).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-AYAv0IoWI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nU615FaODCg

Seriously - sad to see him leave the party too early.

Z
Chicagoland
Palstar R30CC / Sherwood SE-3 MK IV / pa0rdt Mini-Whip / Gone Long Engineering remote resonant loop / Fansome approved

QSL to zaneradio@comcast.net

Offline The Radical

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 1423 UTC »
  Another part of my youth passes.  I've developed a re-appreciation of The Monkees when listening to the music.  I was kind of mystified by Michael Nesmith's response (at first), until I realized he was saying this life is just one step in the eternal journey.

http://www.eonline.com/news/monkees_react_davy_jones_death_mike/297814

Offline weaksigs

• Central Florida
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 1808 UTC »
 >:(   >:(   >:(

Youth- Absolutely!
Guess one needn't to think too hard unless you' re a "Day Dream Believer".

Way too many of the cool era ones are leaving and unfortunately not on the
"Last Train To  Clarksville" either.

I agree with "The Radical" as Davy Jones and the crew was a part of my
youth too!

;o(   Missing You......

weaksigs
Central Florida
136' random wire for general HF,
Winradio Excalibur G31 & Kenwood TS-590

Peace!

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 0512 UTC »
The first rock concert I saw was the Monkees. (In reality it was the Boyce and Hart Band,with boys on elevated stage in front of them pretending to play their instruments.)

The Monkees blew after hearing the opening act, a little trio called the Jimi Hendrix Experience,who'd made big news at the Monterrey Pop Festival the year before.

Fansome

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 0040 UTC »
I'm curious: Where was this? And, did they sing live, or lip-synch, or was someone else doing the singing as well as the playing?

Fansome

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 0109 UTC »
Interesting article about Boyce and Hart:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boyce_and_Hart.

This article cites a reference that I bet would be a good read:

"The Encyclopedia of Dead Rock Stars: Heroin, Handguns, and Ham Sandwiches"

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2012, 2034 UTC »
Davey Jones and Mickey Dolenz did most of the singing.

Hendrix played a number of dates on that tour as back up to the Monkees. It was very surreal to observe in person.

The Boyce Hart Band made a cameo appearance on "I Dream of Jeannie" just before the Monkees TV gig started. "Pop Psychedelica" with is how I'd describe them. They always reminded of a lighter weight Bobby Fuller Four.

Check yer pm for the location,Fanny.