We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Corona Virus panic buying...  (Read 1913 times)

Offline Looking-Glass

• DX Legend
  • Condobolin, NSW, Australia
  • "Old fashioned DXer, no offshore computer rxing!"
    • View Profile
Corona Virus panic buying...
« on: March 26, 2020, 0122 UTC »
What has toilet paper to do with the Corona Virus I ask our knowledgeable readers?

Toilet paper will not prevent Corona Virus
Toliet paper will not cure Corona Virus

So why  the panic buying in Australian stores?  Not only toilet paper but face masks, paper towels, sanitary wipes tissues are also being panic bought by "intellectually challenged" consumers.  Rice, pasta, instant noodles and frozen pizza are also being snapped up, supermarkets with empty shelves are common place, especially in the cities, not so much in the rural areas.

However, we in the country regions are not spared the city antics, charter buses (complete with a trailer attached) have converged out here from Sydney and go through our supermarkets like a locust plague buying up all the fore mentioned and heading back to Sydney.

Last week on national TV three women were shown fighting in the supermarket aisle over the last rolls of toilet paper, in another episode an elderly woman in her 70's with a walking frame was shoved aside by another woman in her early 30's for rolls of paper towel.

A school boy on a Sydney  train was screamed at with a torrent of abuse by some other passengers because he sneezed without covering his mouth, the errant behaviour goes on day by day, some weird, some bizzare and others quiet frightening.

The "Me for me" society at its best.

If this is the best society can do with a virus what would happen if we were suddenly plunged into a war?  :(
Condobolin, NSW.

Grid Square:  QF37ub

Yaesu FT-1000D, Yaesu FT-2000D, ICOM IC-736 HF/50MHz, ICOM IC R75 & Tecsun S-2000 to 450 feet of wire, 27MHz 1/2 wave CB antenna converted to 21MHz & a multi band vertical of dubious reliability.

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Corona Virus panic buying...
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2020, 0529 UTC »
Good to know the stupidity does not exist just in the US.  I blame social media and all the sheep that follow it...but I could be wrong, or simply jaded.

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2020, 1308 UTC »
I've noticed an urban/rural divide here in the USA as well regarding panic buying, with more in the former than latter. I suspect partly because rural residents tend to be more self sufficient, and most keep adequate supplies of food and consumables anyway, because "stuff happens", like a snowstorm or whatever. And I think tend to be more frugal, with large pantries, big freezers and multiple fridges to buy stuff when it is on sale and stock up.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2020, 2205 UTC »
We also know not to panic. Grandpa will keep in the cellar until the "Bring Out Your Dead" men come by and our newspaper is as good as the fancy European brands.

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2020, 0057 UTC »
I've noticed an urban/rural divide here in the USA as well regarding panic buying, with more in the former than latter. I suspect partly because rural residents tend to be more self sufficient, and most keep adequate supplies of food and consumables anyway, because "stuff happens", like a snowstorm or whatever. And I think tend to be more frugal, with large pantries, big freezers and multiple fridges to buy stuff when it is on sale and stock up.

I completely agree. In the Twin Cities 1 here, its madness. A friend & I took a trip to southern MN (name not mentioned to protect them) and while the paper products were cleaned out, plenty of everything else. We stopped at a meat store in rural MN and more than enough meat available. Very delicious meats, at very reasonable prices (even during what used to be normal times). They even have a vending machine for select meats.

Was talking to another guy last week, and he said that he knows someone that lives way up in northern MN (name also not mentioned to protect them) and said no problems of any stock, for any item, including paper products. 

The urban areas are a problem.

And funny you should say that about rural residents, as I said nearly the exact same thing to my friend this afternoon after seeing how much the store had in stock.

1 Twin Cities = Minneapolis & St Paul metropolitan area. To be differentiated from the other Twin Cities of Bismarck/Mandan in ND.

Minneapolis, MN

Offline Azimuth Coordinator

• Listen for Us on 4185 Khz or 5185 Khz
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2020, 1749 UTC »
Good to know the stupidity does not exist just in the US.  I blame social media and all the sheep that follow it...but I could be wrong, or simply jaded.

No Your Not Wrong..  Just when I think how stupid could people be..  Someone accepts the challenge and raises the bar..     Stay Safe Everyone.

AC
QTH: A Clandestine location on the East Coast
Watkins Johnson WJ-8716, WJ-8718A, WJ-8618B
Radio.Illuminati6150@Gmail.com

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2020, 2135 UTC »
Grampa most definitely will not keep in the cellar till the bring out yer dead men arrive.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline JimIO

• QTH I.O. MA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2020, 0258 UTC »
Grampa needs to get back to work...

~

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2020, 1812 UTC »
Grampa needs to get back to work...

~

He's stayin' until we get the big Trump relief check. You've got to be patient and prudent in these matters.

Does Chief Lying Racoon pay up on his promises or does he run off on Al's Stingray bike as fast as his skinny little legs will take him?

HFUnderground Mug
HFUnderground Mug
by MitchellTimeDesigns