We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Haystack and Viking QRT now, and removed from the two locations  (Read 991 times)

Offline MojaveBeaconeer

• View Profile
Only the long-dasher (with a chirp) "Coxie" remains on ~4096, daytime only--since 2001. ENjoy! 73...

Offline MojaveBeaconeer

• View Profile
Re: Haystack and Viking QRT now, and removed from the two locations
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2020, 1618 UTC »
PS: this does not mean "the end" of the 4096 units:  The former 'Viking' beacon (once 24/7 ~ drifting 4095.9) was later that day implanted in a far-safer location not near a frequently visited mine (in over-touristed Inyo Co. too close to LA and Vegas/etc.) nor near a road nor in a previous video.  It IS micro-powered and strictly a daytimer (ERP perhaps 5 mW max.).  Audible on friends SW radios via groundwave in a nearby teeny town over a desert ridge to observe solar-radiation levels (not my teeny ramshackle town tho - hey I am in zero debt with 750 FICO and don't pay the real-estate "lady" as 100% owned!).

Awaiting later in year (unless in mil-lockdown), to split CA and buy acreage for DX purposes in a FAR-QUIETER location than Inyo (OMG!)...

73-ML/SpM