We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: VCO 2749 USB 0740 UTC 28 March 2020  (Read 799 times)

Offline Treehouse SWL

• DX Legend
  • Lake Stevens, Washington
    • View Profile
    • personal website
    • Email
VCO 2749 USB 0740 UTC 28 March 2020
« on: March 28, 2020, 1922 UTC »
I caught this broadcast from Sydney, Nova Scotia, just as it signed on with its broadcast of marine conditions and forecast.

The synth female voice in English was mostly garbled at first but faded up to readable levels at times as it went on. At 0757 UTC, it switched to giving the same information in French. Reception overall was noisy with some fades. I didn't listen until the end, which was past 0800 UTC, as I needed some sleep!
Eric Fetters-Walp / eQSL to fettwalp@outlook.com

Radios: Eton Elite Field, Sihuadon R-108, Eton Grundig Edition Satellit
Antennas: 60-foot-long end-fed wire, MLA-30+ loop

Offline jasmine

• Seattle
  • Riding the (electromagnetic) waves...
    • View Profile
Re: VCO 2749 USB 0740 UTC 28 March 2020
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2020, 1522 UTC »
good catch! i get this around 11pm pacific almost every night. i never got around to posting it.
SDRPlay RSP1a, Airspy HF+Discovery, Malahit Clone with v1.10D & MLA-30+ Magnetic Loop Antenna

Offline Treehouse SWL

• DX Legend
  • Lake Stevens, Washington
    • View Profile
    • personal website
    • Email
Re: VCO 2749 USB 0740 UTC 28 March 2020
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2020, 2041 UTC »
I heard VCO again last night (was up late again) and it was more audible than the previous night. Also then heard VCS out of Halifax, which I've logged previously. Also heard VAJ, which I hear regularly out of the much-closer location of Prince Rupert, B.C.

I sometimes use these marine weather stations to gauge reception conditions, as well as to figure out how much my outdoor antenna is helping as I fiddle it.
Eric Fetters-Walp / eQSL to fettwalp@outlook.com

Radios: Eton Elite Field, Sihuadon R-108, Eton Grundig Edition Satellit
Antennas: 60-foot-long end-fed wire, MLA-30+ loop