We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Damn Taxes  (Read 1217 times)

Offline myteaquinn

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
Damn Taxes
« on: March 29, 2020, 1905 UTC »
So I thought that I would get a jump on my taxes this year and I am using Turbo Tax. I just entered my interest income from my savings account, it was $10.48. I looked at the federal refund number at the top of the page and my refund went down $6. $6 on an investment return of $10.48. What in the hell!!
Northeast Ohio
Now using Shazam for song identification
myteaquinn@yahoo.com

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
Re: Damn Taxes
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2020, 2133 UTC »
My late FIL claimed that banks kept a percentage of the spare change in your account, it's how they made their money. The Freemasons and the Jews were in on it ,too, but what proper warped worldview wouldn't have those guys on the dance card?

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2020, 2331 UTC »
The filing date has been moved to this summer, sometime. I already did mine, as there may be some creep that wants to file mine. I wouldn't mind, since I had to pay in... and if they file, they pay.

With the ~$1200 that some Americans are allegedly going to receive - Will that be taxable income next year?
Minneapolis, MN

Offline NJQA

• Virginia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2020, 1154 UTC »
I just entered my interest income from my savings account, it was $10.48. I looked at the federal refund number at the top of the page and my refund went down $6. $6 on an investment return of $10.48. What in the hell!!

I can’t speak to what was going on with TurboTax, but this doesn’t make sense.  The highest incremental tax rate is 37% and this is on income of greater than $518,401 (single filer).  $6 on $10.48 would be 57%.

Speaking of TurboTax...
https://www.propublica.org/article/inside-turbotax-20-year-fight-to-stop-americans-from-filing-their-taxes-for-free

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2020, 1223 UTC »
With the ~$1200 that some Americans are allegedly going to receive - Will that be taxable income next year?

No, it is a tax credit.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Ct Yankee

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Not a crime in Durham, CT
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2020, 1346 UTC »

I think no one explained it better than these four:

"Let me tell you how it will be
There's one for you, nineteen for me
'Cause I'm the taxman, yeah, I'm the taxman
Should five per cent appear too small
Be thankful I don't take it all
'Cause I'm the taxman, yeah, I'm the taxman
If you drive a car, I'll tax the street
If you try to sit, I'll tax your seat
If you get too cold, I'll tax the heat
If you take a walk, I'll tax your feet
'Cause I'm the taxman, yeah, I'm the taxman"

Due to certain financial decisions I opted for the first time in my life at the end of 2019, per my retirement, the CT Yankee family has probably become ineligible for the stimulus pay out.  However, if based on 2018 or 2020 tax returns, we would have been eligible.  This is not a complaint but an underscore of how the program works.  I guess, like comedy, financial decisions are a matter of timing. 
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 1402 UTC by Ct Yankee »
Tecsun H501x (broadcast received on this unless noted), Zenith T/O G500, Zenith T/O Royal 7000, Emerson AR-176, Zenith 8S154, T/O 7G605 (Bomber), Tecsun PL-600, Tecsun PL-880, Zenith 5S320, Realistic DX 160 using 40 feet of copper wire.  With apologies to Senator Gramm for his thoughts on firearms, "I have more radios than I need but not as many as I want."
QTH:  Durham, Connecticut (rural setting, 15 miles north of Long Island Sound)
qsl please to:  jamcanner@comcast.net  (Thank you)

Offline myteaquinn

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2020, 1828 UTC »
Probably a bog I shouldn't step in but from what I understand only those individuals with a SSN are going to get stimulus money (excluding claimed income restrictions). But the illegal workers who are taxed with a Taxpayer Identification Number (because they have no SSN) are not eligible for the stimulus money.  Never thought that I would agree with AOC but if they paid taxes they should get the stimulus money as well.
Northeast Ohio
Now using Shazam for song identification
myteaquinn@yahoo.com

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground T-Shirt
by MitchellTimeDesigns