We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: US Air Force Interplane Comms 5757 USB 04:01 UTC 2 April 2020 (now with audio)  (Read 4370 times)

Offline jasmine

• Seattle
  • Riding the (electromagnetic) waves...
    • View Profile
Around 04:08 "We're going to 10,000 feet right now, i'm going to hold on my shit." "i don't think anyone has weather, what are you looking at?"

"we're locked, we're on the other side of it right now."

there was a siren tone which sounded similar to one i heard before during a military exercise a few months ago: https://www.hfunderground.com/board/index.php?topic=59020.0

i did a search for 5757 khz and came across this post on a forum about Area 51 titled: "Thug flights on HF": https://www.dreamlandresort.com/forum/messages/44981.html

heard mention of going to a military UHF air frequency, 225.275 Mhz but they are still on HF for now.

it should be noted in that military exercise the callsigns were Thug-(number) but tonight the callsigns are "lock" and "flow' sounds like an ongoing op, still listening and recording all of this to post later.
EDIT: here is several hours of audio edited down to 16 minutes by removing the long stretches without comms: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qgDSk5as3ZHxd1PbEl2OWRkL7kK6-f90/view?usp=sharing
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 0109 UTC by jasmine »
SDRPlay RSP1a, Airspy HF+Discovery, Malahit Clone with v1.10D & MLA-30+ Magnetic Loop Antenna

Offline shadypyro

• Port Alberni British Columbia Canada
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Unidentified Military Comms 5757 USB 04:01 UTC 2 April 2020
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2020, 0441 UTC »
Good catch!
Tecsun PL-880, MLA-30 plus loop antenna. Various sdrs.

Please eQSL to deserthawk1990@hotmail.com

Offline jasmine

• Seattle
    • View Profile
Re: Unidentified Military Comms 5757 USB 04:01 UTC 2 April 2020
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2020, 1907 UTC »
as i promised here is the audio of what i picked up last night. i edited a lot of the long pauses between transmissions out so the total running time is around 16 minutes but this took place over several hours of listening:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qgDSk5as3ZHxd1PbEl2OWRkL7kK6-f90/view?usp=sharing
SDRPlay RSP1a, Airspy HF+Discovery, Malahit Clone with v1.10D & MLA-30+ Magnetic Loop Antenna

Offline Rob.

• View Profile
    • N1NTE KiwiSDR online
I believe that the siren is a cockpit alert to notify the pilot of something that needs immediate action.

"Weather from 'KDTA'" is airport in Delta, UT
- Rob

CT/MA border
Email: n1nte.rob@gmail.com
KiwiSDR (x4) online - http://sigmasdr.ddns.net:8073/
ΣSDR Blog - https://n1nte.blogspot.com/

Offline Chad556

• Phoenix, AZ USA
    • View Profile
    • Mesa Amateur Radio Club
    • Email
The "siren" you hear is the pilot disengaging the autopilot.
Respectfully,
Chad Black N7PHX
QSL appreciated! Send to: chad556@gmail.com

Rigs: RSPduo, IC-7300, R-2000, R-5000, FRG-100, FR-101, E1xm, ICF2010, Satellit 800
Antenna: Wellbrook ALA1530s+ Imperium, 33 ft End fed.

Offline Chad556

• Phoenix, AZ USA
    • View Profile
    • Mesa Amateur Radio Club
    • Email
I also think they were referring to weather at KDCA, which is Reagan Intl. in Washington DC.
Respectfully,
Chad Black N7PHX
QSL appreciated! Send to: chad556@gmail.com

Rigs: RSPduo, IC-7300, R-2000, R-5000, FRG-100, FR-101, E1xm, ICF2010, Satellit 800
Antenna: Wellbrook ALA1530s+ Imperium, 33 ft End fed.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
One of the players mentions ceiling over Wendover, West Wendover, Nevada, so assume they did reference KDTA airport in Delta, UT and not Reagan. Towards the end seems they're working on ada defense measures such as flares and so on, to include navigational lighting or lack thereof. Wonder if these guys are working with a drone.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline Traveling Wave

• DX Legend
  • Western N.Y.
  • Nobody told me there'd be days like these
    • View Profile
    • Email
Heard callsigns  "straight flush" and "95 euchre" used and starting approximately at 9:11 of recording heard "turn left and go high at Wildcat Mountain".
Radio :TS480 with RTL-SDR pan-adapter, HDSDR software, Omni-Rig Control, Zenith T/O R600,T600
Antenna: 40m dipole, 20-17-15 meter fan dipole. One of N. Tesla's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production.
Knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules. The fate of all mankind I see is in the hands of fools - from Epitaph by King Crimson
eQSL appreciated KC2ZYL@gmail.com

Offline JCMaxwell

• Central NC, USA
    • View Profile
There is also an informative conversation ongoing at the UDXF group regarding this:

https://groups.io/g/UDXF/topic/72733101#92219
IC-R9000L, FDM-S2, Belka DX, HF+ Discovery, RSPdx, IC-R30, BC125AT, PL-880 <- W6LVP Loop

eQSLs appreciated - johnnyclerkmaxwell@gmail.com

Offline Strange Beacons

• Naples, Florida USA
    • View Profile
    • Strange Beacons Website
Excellent catch! And thanks for providing the recording.

Offline jasmine

• Seattle
    • View Profile
thanks @StrangeBeacons. btw i used to listen to your SDR before and right after i bought my first because you had a magnetic loop antenna and i was looking getting one.

Offline Strange Beacons

• Naples, Florida USA
    • View Profile
thanks @StrangeBeacons. btw i used to listen to your SDR before and right after i bought my first because you had a magnetic loop antenna and i was looking getting one.

Cool. I swear by magnetic loops, especially because I live where outside antennas are forbidden. The W6LVP mag loop works well with my KiwiSDR (which has migrated from Seattle to Naples, Florida now).

Again, your latest recording is awesome. I tweeted out a link to it on my Twitter feed and it has been getting a lot of likes.  :D

Offline jasmine

• Seattle
    • View Profile
thanks for tweeting that out. the other reason i listened to your kiwiSDR was to hear what was possible to pick up from Seattle. how does your new listening environment compare to Seattle?

Offline Strange Beacons

• Naples, Florida USA
    • View Profile
thanks for tweeting that out. the other reason i listened to your kiwiSDR was to hear what was possible to pick up from Seattle. how does your new listening environment compare to Seattle?

The propagation here is absolutely amazing. I am able to pick up so many more signals than what I could with the same setup as I had in Seattle (lots more amateur radio operator traffic, plus signals out of the Caribbean and even Europe).

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile
Nice jasmine, I have not reduced my receptions of this signal to audio yet, they are still in SDR format.  I started receiving this around 0320 UTC or so, and the last transmissions I heard were around 0650 UTC or so.

Sounds like aircraft over UTTR.

T!
T!
Mojave Desert, California USA