We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Part 15 AM and FM  (Read 6238 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Part 15 AM and FM
« on: April 02, 2020, 1223 UTC »
Got a legal Part 15 AM or FM station? Interested in starting one? Post here!
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline chanito

• S.Texas
  • RF Exposeur
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Part 15 AM and FM
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2020, 1949 UTC »

Got one on 89.5 covering my neighborhood + some

Ramsey transmitter, indoor dipole, driving the transmitter with a PC running RadioDJ into a Orban 1101e. I have a separate one on 1680 kHz as well, but seriously only covers the house and backyard.

Low bitrate pre-processor stream http://s2.free-shoutcast.com:18594/listen.pls?sid=1 from the FM station.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 2214 UTC by chanito »
PCR-1000, PCR-1500, RSP1A, RSP1, VR-120D, HDT-1, Accurian HD, Royal 3000
Caras HF-315, Belar LP-1A, SuperAntenna MP-1, RatShack 20-043 discone, MLA-30, 100' wire

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2020, 2233 UTC »
I'm tempted to set up a microwatt power shortwave Part 15 station as an easter egg for users of my KiwiSDR.   :)
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2020, 0008 UTC »
I have an EDM-TX-LCD (FM) that transmits usually when I mow the lawn and maybe a few other times. It covers the yard nicely but not too much outside of that. 

Also have a Ramsey for MW, but its not working quite right and haven't been motivated enough to dig into it. 
Minneapolis, MN

Offline chanito

• S.Texas
  • RF Exposeur
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2020, 2139 UTC »

Paul McCartney - "I'm Partial To Your Abracadabra"  Probably won't hear that anywhere else... :-)

Seatrain - "Song Of Job" Probably won't hear that anywhere else   ;-)

Reality is you probably won't hear much of this programming anywhere else. After 15 years of programming to people, this is stuff I like.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 2343 UTC by chanito »
Caras HF-315, Belar LP-1A, SuperAntenna MP-1, RatShack 20-043 discone, MLA-30, 100' wire

Offline Azimuth Coordinator

• Listen for Us on 4185 Khz or 5185 Khz
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2020, 1253 UTC »
Paul McCartney - "I'm Partial To Your Abracadabra"  Probably won't hear that anywhere else... :-)

Seatrain - "Song Of Job" Probably won't hear that anywhere else   ;-)

Looks like DJ Dickweed's been programing a few shows.

QTH: A Clandestine location on the East Coast
Watkins Johnson WJ-8716, WJ-8718A, WJ-8618B
Radio.Illuminati6150@Gmail.com

Offline Dave Richards

• Oakland, CA
    • View Profile
    • Ham Radio (and occasionally Part 15) Blog
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2020, 1822 UTC »
I have a Rangemaster transmitter, fed by a Schlockwood 200 LPAM processor. Automation software is the free version of Zara Radio on a laptop, running through a Mackie mixer, so that I can do live programming. Occasionally when my best friend comes over, we go live on the air for fun. Mics are an EV RE27 N/D and Shure SM7 on boom arms.

I worked on the programming for several months, on a full-time basis. Zara Radio allows you to mark the exact segue point on each individual song file, if you're that detail-oriented (I am!) I download monthly 60 second featurettes from the US Census Bureau, and the Mayo Clinic (their Radio Health Minutes), which air regularly. I also scripted and recorded an "On This Day In History" feature for every day of the year. Free PSA's are available from several online outlets, and I air those also. The automation software airs the correct features for each day. While not a huge playlist, at 2427 songs, it's bigger than virtually all commercial stations. I also produced and voiced a bunch of ID's and jingles for the station, which is called "Ant Radio" in tribute to my best friend Ant (full name Antoinette). She is also a DJ, so is pretty chuffed that I named the station after her. The top of the hour ID contains the sound of our recently deceased neighborhood cat's loud meow. Mingus was a local legend.

All in all, I'm pretty proud of the station. In true Part 15 fashion, coverage is not even, and does interesting things. In one direction, reception falls off sharply in just a block. In other directions, it goes for about 1/4 mile before becoming unlistenable. On a very good day, I can just barely make it out above the noise a mile away. At various points in between, the signal will pop out of the noise, then disappear again. I think this is about normal for a compliant Part 15 setup. Of course, once dusk arrives, coverage suffers greatly.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 1832 UTC by AA7EE »
Oakland, CA
(SF Bay Area)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2020, 1143 UTC »
All in all, I'm pretty proud of the station. In true Part 15 fashion, coverage is not even, and does interesting things. In one direction, reception falls off sharply in just a block. In other directions, it goes for about 1/4 mile before becoming unlistenable. On a very good day, I can just barely make it out above the noise a mile away. At various points in between, the signal will pop out of the noise, then disappear again. I think this is about normal for a compliant Part 15 setup. Of course, once dusk arrives, coverage suffers greatly.

Thanks for the range information, it's interesting to learn how far Part 15 operations can get out!
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD

Offline Stretchyman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2020, 1155 UTC »
I still think it's pointless, may as well turn up the stereo or even shout, you're going to be heard at a greater distance and it's free.

Good luck with your part 15.

We don't have anything like that here thank goodness and can't say I'm bothered about it

At All.

Str.

p.s. can't see me hanging around on here much longer and I'm no longer able to advertise my wares.

Best look elsewhere methinks....
« Last Edit: July 21, 2020, 1445 UTC by Stretchyman »
'It's better to give than receive' so why Rx when you can Tx!

;)

Offline Dave Richards

• Oakland, CA
    • View Profile
    • Ham Radio (and occasionally Part 15) Blog
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2020, 1627 UTC »
Thanks for the range information, it's interesting to learn how far Part 15 operations can get out!

Thanks Chris. Unfortunately, I'm in a relatively dense urban environment, which limits the evenness of the coverage. If I were able to locate the transmitter in an open lot, with several hundred feet of clear space around it, I think the coverage would be more even.

I still think it's pointless, may as well turn up the stereo or even shout, you're going to be heard at a greater distance and it's free.

Good luck with your part 15.

With don't have anything like that here thank goodness and can't say I'm bothered about it

At All.

Str.

My Part 15 doesn't have particularly spectacular coverage, but I get an easily listenable signal 1/4 mile away, and my stereo won't reach that far. I sure as heck can't shout that far either - at least, not without ruining my vocal chords  ;D

There's a Part 15 station not far from me, in Sausalito, CA. They're called, funnily enough, Radio Sausalito ;D  A few years ago, I did a write-up on the station, and went out to Sausalito to hear it.  I was surprised to find that, on walking along Bridgeway, the town's main drag, the signal was absolutely consistent for a mile. It may have been further than a mile, because I didn't investigate how far it went in the other direction. It wasn't a blowtorch signal by any means - it did sound a bit thin, but it was remarkably consistent in level for a whole mile. The station uses 6 Rangemasters. I don't know whether the carriers are synchronized or not, but I'm tempted to think that they are, due to the consistency of the signal over the part of the coverage area I walked. However, the signal did get a bit more shaky on walking inside buildings. Obviously, that can be a problem!

Radio Sausalito enjoys strong support from the city, and the local Chamber of Commerce. Their format, which is strictly jazz, streams on the internet as well. Jonathan, the station owner, told me that the majority of their listeners these days are online. The streaming fees are not insubstantial, but I'm thinking that Radio Sausalito is in an enviable position. Sausalito is a small, yet wealthy town, with strong income from tourism. I'm sure they're quite proud to have their own little radio station representing their town.

I only mention the above because, in my opinion. Radio Sausalito is a good example of how to run a successful Part 15 station. Many licensed LPFM's find that, after the initial enthusiasm of opening subsides, the hard graft of keeping it going sets in. That's when the automation systems kick in ;D  At least, with an LPFM, you have decent coverage over a small area. You barely get that with a Part 15. An internet stream really helps  - but then, there are the fees associated with that.

Anyway, for me, it's a hobby. I enjoy hearing my little well-processed AM signal in the neighborhood. I'm not trying to change the world, thank goodness.
Oakland, CA
(SF Bay Area)

Offline Stretchyman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2020, 1902 UTC »
Points well made and duly noted.

I really like the fact that with only 10W and particular frequencies you can get reports from 1000's of miles away, that does make the hobby somewhat more interesting!

Str.
'It's better to give than receive' so why Rx when you can Tx!

;)

Offline Lambretta

• San Diego California
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2020, 0111 UTC »
I'm using an  Eclipse 4000 to broadcast music in a 40k sq ft building. It's a huge antique/ vintage mall, and it was the best solution I could come up with. It sounds great FM stereo frequency range from 87.5 to 108MHz.

Offline chanito

• S.Texas
  • RF Exposeur
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2020, 1726 UTC »

Offline chanito

• S.Texas
  • RF Exposeur
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2020, 0103 UTC »
Took the Orban offline and now trying StereoTool free for the FM and stream. Amazing. http://s2.free-shoutcast.com:18594/

Offline Matt_B

• Southwestern CT, USA
    • View Profile
    • Radio Free Connecticut
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2020, 1520 UTC »
If I didn't already mention it, I run a Part 15 AM station that I call "Radio Free Connecticut". 

Here's our Facebook page.  Facebook Site

And here's the web site.  Radio Free Connecticut
Matt Boland
Southwestern CT
Owner/Operator, "Radio Free Connecticut"
PS4: JupBol16