We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Part #15 gear out there.  (Read 5099 times)

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
Part #15 gear out there.
« on: April 04, 2020, 0616 UTC »
(Yeah, this was moved from RF Workbench.) Lots of home brew radiating gear, (For the 10ft FCC Part #5 compliant stuff.), but you have companies like, www.sstran.com , www.chezradio.com , www.am1000rangemaster.com , www.theradiosource.com , www.pll.gr , www.vectronics.com , www.iamradio.net , and there's others out there. Some companies even got-in on doing the 10ft Part #15 antenna like, www.isotronantennas.com , (Tell them that you want Part #15 compliant. Not cheap, but....) So, there's stuff out there. And, anything that's Carrier-Current, (Where you permissibly couple to the power lines.), from LPB, Inc., and Radio Systems, gets bought out almost immediately from ebay. So, somebody wants that gear.
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Re: Part #15 gear out there.
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2020, 1239 UTC »
Talking House transmitters turn up at Goodwill now and then, I found three of them new in box last year.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Rob.

• View Profile
    • N1NTE KiwiSDR online
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2020, 1312 UTC »
I'm looking for an inexpensive carrier coupler for a low power AM TX I have. Yes, they do get gobbled up on eBay quickly.

I run a whole house/yard FM TX that broadcasts anything I am listening to on my computer... including my KiwiSDR so I can listen remotely in the yard.
- Rob

CT/MA border
Email: n1nte.rob@gmail.com
KiwiSDR (x4) online - http://sigmasdr.ddns.net:8073/
ΣSDR Blog - https://n1nte.blogspot.com/

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2020, 1651 UTC »
I run a whole house/yard FM TX that broadcasts anything I am listening to on my computer... including my KiwiSDR so I can listen remotely in the yard.

I do something similar now and then, I use one of the inexpensive car FM transmitters designed to broadcast your iDevice audio into your car radio:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001AIM5ZE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?tag=blackcatsyste-20

BTW these devices all use the same IC to do the transmitting. It's a neat chip, it has an I2C interface, you can actually override what the little uC in the dongle sends to it, and set your own frequency and other settings, and send RDS data as well.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2020, 0628 UTC »
Oh boy... On a Carrier-Current Coupler, you may have to roll your own, since LPB and Radio Systems are gone. However, there are power line couplers for mining companies, (At least, there use to be.). That was the only way that they could send down a radiating signal into a mine shaft was to couple to the power lines going down there. With all of these mining companies going bye-bye, I'll bet one can be had. Ernest Wilson, formally of Panaxis Productions, had shown in is Carrier-Current books on how to build a coupler. Also, look for on-line .PDF books by James R. Cunningham for this to download. Basically, you are looking for a medium wave tuning network that let's you tune down to very low impedance, like 10 Ohms and less. Over 20 years ago, JTA gave me a Radio Systems TR-20 transmitter and a CP-15 coupler. The problem was, it looked like lightning directly hit it. The TR-20 was a total loss, with thumb sized burnt holes in both the PS and Finals boards, but the CP-15 Coupler was fixable, and I'm using that today. So, ya never know. 
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email

Offline JimIO

• QTH I.O. MA
    • View Profile

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2020, 0527 UTC »
Huh... Might be OK to Neutral-Inject in to the Neutral of the home AC power, but I certainly wouldn't couple that to the HOT. Heck, for the price, you can't beat it. And, since it's a kit form, most likely you can improve it to work much more efficiently on the AM BC band. That 1MHz limit is a bit FREQ limiting, since most Carrier-Current ops use the lower part of the band, since the lower FREQ's can ride the long power lines further. 

Offline JimIO

• QTH I.O. MA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2020, 1724 UTC »
Just add a couple AC rated capacitors and fuses and you could feed both sides.

~

Offline JimIO

• QTH I.O. MA
    • View Profile

Offline Azimuth Coordinator

• Listen for Us on 4185 Khz or 5185 Khz
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2020, 1827 UTC »
I have in the Rack a very Rare Broadcast Warehouse TX1  10mw  FM Exciter.. That is part 15 Compliant.. But depending on the Antenna..  you can easily exceed 250uv @ 3 meters.. My Singer NM 37/57  has it a 500uv @ 3 meters with a Circular Polarized Antenna.  It's been my main On Air for several years..  Range is around 1000 feet with good fm tuner around 200 feet with your average portable radio.   I started with a Ramsey FM100B which was pretty good for the price.  But then the next thing you know there's a PTEK FM25E in the rack... 

tAC
QTH: A Clandestine location on the East Coast
Watkins Johnson WJ-8716, WJ-8718A, WJ-8618B
Radio.Illuminati6150@Gmail.com

Offline Rob.

• View Profile
    • N1NTE KiwiSDR online
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2020, 2026 UTC »
I have a Drake FM-1000 CATV stereo modulator that I use for around the yard broadcasts. It has a crippled antenna so it stays within the confines of Part 15. Nice audio out of it.
- Rob

CT/MA border
Email: n1nte.rob@gmail.com
KiwiSDR (x4) online - http://sigmasdr.ddns.net:8073/
ΣSDR Blog - https://n1nte.blogspot.com/

Offline chanito

• S.Texas
  • RF Exposeur
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2020, 2133 UTC »
What I need is an accurate VHF QRP SWR/Wattmeter. I've been using a Diamond, but down to the 1 watt range I don't think it's very accurate. Need to be able to measure down to mw.
PCR-1000, PCR-1500, RSP1A, RSP1, VR-120D, HDT-1, Accurian HD, Royal 3000
Caras HF-315, Belar LP-1A, SuperAntenna MP-1, RatShack 20-043 discone, MLA-30, 100' wire

Offline secretlab

• Northern Arizona
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2020, 1416 UTC »
I recently bought a ChezRadio Procaster AM system out of Canada. This is the lower cost alternative to the US made Rangemaster. It includes a one-chip audio processor which is serviceable but not very loud. External processing may be used instead.

Having also owned a Rangemaster, I find the Procaster's coverage is less in either a strictly compliant § 15.219 ground mount or a 10' elevated mount ('shielded' ground - center conductor of 7/8" Heliax to ground with shield grounded at bottom but open at the top). It does sound like a local within 1000' though, which was the goal. Build quality of the Procaster is very good. Audio quality is OK. Gerry of Chezradio was helpful with a minor issue but seemed unwilling to discuss technical aspects of his proprietary system.

in an elevated installation, what constitutes a suitable RF ground point is in the judgment of any FCC agent who may come to inspect your transmitter. A certain FCC NOUO (Notice of Unlicensed Operation) has seemed to indicate that a 'shielded' lead or path to ground may be acceptible. Here's the underlying rule:

§ 15.219 Operation in the band 510-1705 kHz.
(a) The total input power to the final radio frequency stage (exclusive of filament or heater power) shall not exceed 100 milliwatts.

(b) The total length of the transmission line, antenna and ground lead (if used) shall not exceed 3 meters.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 1825 UTC by secretlab »
ICOM IC-7300, Chameleon EMCOMMII 60' inverted L, HF+ Discovery, MFJ-1886 rotatable RX loop. Portable: Xiegu X6100, mcHF, Chameleon CHA-TDL delta loop, wires.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2020, 2144 UTC »
(b) The total length of the transmission line, antenna and ground lead (if used) shall not exceed 3 meters.

"that's no 50ft ground lead, that's the dc return to the psu"
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.