We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Trying to understand and set up galaxy 2 1st post  (Read 1955 times)

Offline Lambretta

• San Diego California
    • View Profile
Trying to understand and set up galaxy 2 1st post
« on: April 08, 2020, 2007 UTC »
Hello all, I have a galaxy 2 radio that I picked up used a few years ago. (looks like this)https://rigreference.com/storage/uploads/rigs/24/4761/galaxy-ii.jpg I can't find any information or manuals for it online. To make matters worse (or better depending on the quality of work) I believe someone's added a knob/pot to it, which I'm not sure exactly what it does. It's not extra channels because it rotates smoothly, and doesn't change the frequency counter. I set up a president base station next to it to see if I could figure it out. Seems to as I dial it up the signal distorts on on the president. So maybe an amplifier? Another thing I'm trying to understand is; the FM switch. Is the FM UHF? I'm wondering if I can get some FM walkie talkies that would work with this radio. Any information would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
Re: Trying to understand and set up galaxy 2 1st post
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2020, 0700 UTC »
Huh... The Galaxy II was a very popular Export-type CB, not really legal to use in the USA, since it covered the non-USA FREQ's from 26MHz to 28MHz into the 10M Amateur Band. I've found PIC's and alignment from CB Tricks, but not the manual,   http://www.cbtricks.com/radios/galaxy/plus/index.htm    So, I hope that helps, somewhat. FM, (Frequency Modulation), is just the modulation mode, not a FREQ band. The USA and Canada are actually the few countries to not use FM in the 40 CB channels. As far as the added knob goes? Might be to control the transmit RF power output. I've never had the Galaxy II rig, but quite a few of my friends did on CB. Anyway, I hope that helps some. CB walkie-talkies should work on that, as long as they are the ones that are within the 40 CB channels, and not UHF FRS radios.
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline chanito

• S.Texas
  • RF Exposeur
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2020, 1513 UTC »
Probably some sort of 'swing' mod or adjustable power output. Could also be a talkback level control. I had one of those radios back in about 1992 or thereabouts. It was just an OK radio. I did use the FM mode a lot with the local talkaround bunch. There were lots of AM/FM mobile CBs in use and we'd use it to get away from the skip heterodyne or to annoy truckers.

To answer your question about FM talkies for 11m, yes. There is such an animal. You will find them on eBay from the European market as FM is the accepted CB mode there. There are also some of the Cherokee/Titan/Dragon/Tomahawk all mode talkies still around, and they too pop up on eBay from time to time.

If you just need short range, there is an old 80's Midland 75-160 model that is "maximum FCC-Allowed power", and FM, three channels, 27.095, 27.145, and 27.250. It's operating on the channels reserved for radio control, and since it uses a 9v battery , I suspect the power is 50mw or so. Again, look on eBay,

Why, here's 4 brand new ones now...

« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 1541 UTC by chanito »
PCR-1000, PCR-1500, RSP1A, RSP1, VR-120D, HDT-1, Accurian HD, Royal 3000
Caras HF-315, Belar LP-1A, SuperAntenna MP-1, RatShack 20-043 discone, MLA-30, 100' wire

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2020, 1254 UTC »
I had a GE walkie talkie type CB back in the 90s, it was one of the radios they marketed for "emergency car use". Ran off either 12V DC from the cigarette lighter, or a bunch of batteries. I wonder if I still have it... I need to look in the shed.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Lambretta

• San Diego California
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2020, 1736 UTC »
Thanks for the replies! I was wondering if those baofeng FM programmable units would work, but I reckon they don't get to 27mhz. I will be looking for the models recommend. All the best, and stay healthy! From San Diego

Offline Lambretta

• San Diego California
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2020, 1615 UTC »
I've been reading a bit online about FM crystals working in AM radios. Can anyone chime in on that? I have a vintage Lafayette 5w 3 channel walkie talkie that I'd love to use. Thanks you

Offline R4002

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
    • R4002 - YouTube Videos
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2023, 2006 UTC »
Bumping an old thread because I stumbled upon some of these 3-channel 27MHz FM walkie talkies.

Midland model 75-160

FCC ID F9GRC-3000

FCC Rules Part 15C

Approved on 13 June 1991

Operating frequencies 26.960 MHz - 27.270 MHz

https://fccid.io/F9GRC-3000/amp

And Google Translation of a post from an Italian forum thread about them:

They low-power citizen band (CB) stations, with a range of 2 ... 4 km, work in the 27 MHz band (most likely 27.120 MHz).

Usually, the date of their manufacture is written on the electrolytic capacitors, so the station must have been produced approximately in the respective period. By all appearances - types of parts, design, way of making, etc. - it can be a model from the mid-90s

Note, I changed the formatting from 27,120 MHz to 27.120 MHz. 

Since they’re 3 channel radios, and the main PCB clearly shows two sets of three crystals, presumably a pair of crystals for each channel, one transmit and one receive, with the 455 kHz TX/RX difference. 

The channel selector simply says MULTI-CHANNEL

I’ve read that they use 26.995 MHz, 27.045 MHz, 27.095 MHz, 27.120 MHz, 27.145 MHz, 27.195 MHz, 27.250 MHz, 27.255 MHz and 27.270 MHz. 

Use of the RCRS channels would make sense.  Some sources call these 100mW output radios, others call them 50mW.  They remind me of the 100 milliwatt (actual output was 50 milliwatt) RadioShack single-channel CB walkie talkies like the TRC-92 and I know there were many many others. 

Sort of intrigued. 
U.S. East Coast, various HF/VHF/UHF radios/transceivers/scanners/receivers - land mobile system operator - focus on VHF/UHF and 11m