We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Introducing Parking Lot Radio!  (Read 5191 times)

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Introducing Parking Lot Radio!
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2022, 1852 UTC »
Yes.  Getting a transmitter tested for FCC approval can run into the 5 figure category.

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline tybee

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2022, 1354 UTC »
Yes.  Getting a transmitter tested for FCC approval can run into the 5 figure category.

+-RH

I didn't realize a multimeter and a measuring tape could cost so much

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2022, 1858 UTC »
I'll keep your reply in mind the next time I'm looking for a noise source from an unverified Chinese white box good.

+-RH

Offline tybee

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2022, 1413 UTC »
Excerpted from
https://compliancetesting.com/how-much-does-fcc-testing-cost/

Which Type of Testing Is Right for You?

The total cost of FCC certification depends on the type of FCC testing that you need... ...The most rigorous type of testing is FCC Part 15 Certification. The purpose of this testing is to verify that the electromagnetic interference, or EMI, emitted by your product does not exceed the FCC’s limits....

Average Cost of Testing.. First, keep in mind that the cost of FCC testing depends on several factors, including the type of electronic device you are selling into market and how much work is involved within the testing process. That said, there are a few average estimates that you can use as a guide.

Generally speaking, one can expect to pay anywhere between $3,000 and $5,000 for FCC testing. However, testing for modules & more complex devices can be much costlier. In addition, it is important to take other expenses into consideration, such as the cost of labor. The total cost is also influenced by how extensive the testing process is....

Armchair speculation tells me basically all that's needed for certification with 15.219 is the 100mw input at the final stage and a confirmation its not emiting spuriuos waves. What justifies a thousands of dollar price tag for that?

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2022, 1517 UTC »
A testing laboratory with NIST traceability, special anechoic chambers, millions in test equipment and specialized antennas.  That's why it costs so much.  From the ouside looking in, it doesn't make sense until you've seen how certification is carried out.

+-RH

Offline Rob.

• View Profile
    • N1NTE KiwiSDR online
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2022, 1635 UTC »
Agreed. I used to be involved with Part 15 certification of computer networking equipment. $10k was what it cost the company at the time back in the 80s.
- Rob

CT/MA border
Email: n1nte.rob@gmail.com
KiwiSDR (x4) online - http://sigmasdr.ddns.net:8073/
ΣSDR Blog - https://n1nte.blogspot.com/

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground Garden Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns