We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: What are you using for SWLing?  (Read 10913 times)

Offline chanito

• S.Texas
  • RF Exposeur
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: What are you using for SWLing?
« Reply #60 on: June 11, 2020, 2029 UTC »
I just use an AirSpy HF+ and a mediumwave inverted L. I generally DX mediumwave or low shortwave signals. In this day and age, I don't see an advantage of a "real" receiver. SDRs have surpassed traditional receivers in both cost and performance. The AirSpy is probably not the best thing out there, but for the pricepoint, it's very good. Better and less complicated than an RTLSDR with downconverter.

Yeah, I would steer clear from RTL SDR stuff with the dongles.  It just will clutter your set up with uncertain reception performance.
AirSpy or SDRPlay RSP1 would be the ones I would go for, if I were going SDR way.

But it was interesting chanito suggested ICOM ICR-100, 20+ year old SDR.

The Icom PCR line are not by definition SDR's. They are triple conversion conventional receivers that are computer controlled instead of having knobs and switches. It's essentially a quality tabletop radio that has no manual controls. If you look at the paper specs of the PCR-100, it compares favorably with any similarly priced traditional tabletop or portable SW/MW/VHF/UHF receiver of the time. Roughly twice the sensitivity, rejection and selectivity of a DX-440/ATS-803 portable radio on MW/HF.

The PCR-1000, on paper, is roughly equivalent on AM mode MW/HF to the Icom R75 as far as sensitivity and selectivity goes.

I can say that hands down the PCR's beat my RSP1 and 1A on LF, NDB, etc. in the basement band. Much fewer spurs, images and artifacts across the board on all bands.

And speaking of, I have some used PCR-1000's and a couple of PCR-1500's I'm planning to put on eBay. One of the 1500's is practically new in box. I think I took it out to check for operation and put it right back in the box. If any of you are interested, let me know (PM) before I list them in July sometime. They would come with power supply and maybe a USB>Serial adaptor, and maybe a small BNC whip if I can find them.

PCR-1000, PCR-1500, RSP1A, RSP1, VR-120D, HDT-1, Accurian HD, Royal 3000
Caras HF-315, Belar LP-1A, SuperAntenna MP-1, RatShack 20-043 discone, MLA-30, 100' wire

Offline alpard

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 15, 2020, 0819 UTC »
I just use an AirSpy HF+ and a mediumwave inverted L. I generally DX mediumwave or low shortwave signals. In this day and age, I don't see an advantage of a "real" receiver. SDRs have surpassed traditional receivers in both cost and performance. The AirSpy is probably not the best thing out there, but for the pricepoint, it's very good. Better and less complicated than an RTLSDR with downconverter.

Yeah, I would steer clear from RTL SDR stuff with the dongles.  It just will clutter your set up with uncertain reception performance.
AirSpy or SDRPlay RSP1 would be the ones I would go for, if I were going SDR way.

But it was interesting chanito suggested ICOM ICR-100, 20+ year old SDR.

The Icom PCR line are not by definition SDR's. They are triple conversion conventional receivers that are computer controlled instead of having knobs and switches. It's essentially a quality tabletop radio that has no manual controls. If you look at the paper specs of the PCR-100, it compares favorably with any similarly priced traditional tabletop or portable SW/MW/VHF/UHF receiver of the time. Roughly twice the sensitivity, rejection and selectivity of a DX-440/ATS-803 portable radio on MW/HF.

The PCR-1000, on paper, is roughly equivalent on AM mode MW/HF to the Icom R75 as far as sensitivity and selectivity goes.

I can say that hands down the PCR's beat my RSP1 and 1A on LF, NDB, etc. in the basement band. Much fewer spurs, images and artifacts across the board on all bands.

And speaking of, I have some used PCR-1000's and a couple of PCR-1500's I'm planning to put on eBay. One of the 1500's is practically new in box. I think I took it out to check for operation and put it right back in the box. If any of you are interested, let me know (PM) before I list them in July sometime. They would come with power supply and maybe a USB>Serial adaptor, and maybe a small BNC whip if I can find them.

Great info. Thanks for your recommendation.
I used to not like the idea of attaching computers to radios, hence still no SDR in my radio room.

But for the ICOM ICR-1000, I have watched the youtube videos on the set, but I had not been impressed with the performance, and the set up with the software and RS232 cables looked ancient and not tidy.  It sounded not too different from any other radios to my ears.  But I thought it could be good for scanning wide spectrum VHF and UHF if one is into these bands. I am not interested above 30Mhz, and there is not much activities in these bands in my area.
 And if there were, they have all gone digital encryption, for which you will need decoding devices which are not cheap. 

I will just stick to the old traditional radios made with discrete parts, so if they break down, then I could open it up and try to repair them by myself with a DMM and soldering iron.

So with all that reasons, I still like the traditional / conventional radios for SWL hobby, because the SWL hobby itself is a traditional activity.  But for rock bottom price, if some is throwing it away, then I might give a try just for comparisons with other radios. :)

For SDRs, I still feel that WEB SDRs on the internet works great, and still under the impression they work great because they are located where the propagation is better for the signals at the time, not the SDR has superior performance by themselves. I could be wrong.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 1103 UTC by alpard »
ICOM R71E, Lowe HF-225, YAESU FRG100, TECSUN PL-330, PL-320, XHDATA D-109, D-808, MSi001 SDR, AOR AR3030, Sangean ATS803, ATS-909X, Antenna= Random Wire+ATU, Active Miniwhip

https://twitter.com/RadioPax88
https://www.youtube.com/@RadioPax88/videos

Offline alpard

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 21, 2020, 2234 UTC »
I added a new XHDATA D-808 to my listening room, and it is doing excellent job.
I think it is a SDR in a little tiny box on its own. It is its own man, no needing a PC or any computer.
That is critically important to me. I cannot stand any radio tied to PC or computers.

Its sensitivity and selectivity is 1st class, and it doesn't overload with the long wire antenna in the garden.
I managed to hear many new DX stations on it.
SSB and CW reception is not 1st class but quite acceptable.

It is definitely better than any radio I have in its DX performance. It hears the weak signals very well.
MW and LW was working quite OK too.

ICOM R71E, Lowe HF-225, YAESU FRG100, TECSUN PL-330, PL-320, XHDATA D-109, D-808, MSi001 SDR, AOR AR3030, Sangean ATS803, ATS-909X, Antenna= Random Wire+ATU, Active Miniwhip

https://twitter.com/RadioPax88
https://www.youtube.com/@RadioPax88/videos

Offline Swan270

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #63 on: June 26, 2020, 1620 UTC »
Icom R-71A, Yaesu FRG 7700, Zenith Trans Oceanic, Hallicrafters SX99. 150' long wire. 40/80 dipole.

Offline chanito

• S.Texas
  • RF Exposeur
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #64 on: July 04, 2020, 1707 UTC »
Just added a couple of pocket portables to the arsenal. The Eton Mini and the Eton Elite Traveler. Both OK for very casual HF. MW is surprisingly good on the Mini, as it doesn't seem to suffer from frontend overload from a nearby station as much as the VR-120 or VX-7r. It is by no means deaf. I'm able to just pull in a 5kw station some 70m away at midday.

The Traveler is big for a pocket radio. It was impulse, as I saw it discounted and noticed it had LW and RDS. Played with it last night in the backyard and had pretty good luck catching the major broadcasters. MW also very good at night. Both radios do surprisingly well on HF considering the antennas are very short compared to what I'm used to on my portables of yore (DX-440, Royal 3000). Traveler picks up NDBs on the built in ferrite, also surprisingly well.
PCR-1000, PCR-1500, RSP1A, RSP1, VR-120D, HDT-1, Accurian HD, Royal 3000
Caras HF-315, Belar LP-1A, SuperAntenna MP-1, RatShack 20-043 discone, MLA-30, 100' wire

Offline myteaquinn

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #65 on: July 05, 2020, 0050 UTC »
Just picked up a new to me Icom R-75.
Northeast Ohio
Now using Shazam for song identification
myteaquinn@yahoo.com

Offline ThElectriCat

• Hillsboro OR
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 06, 2020, 1647 UTC »
For what its worth, keep in mind that there are a lot of "moving parts" to shortwave DX'ng, i.e. weather, time of day, solar activity, seasonal fluctuations, etc etc so don't get discouraged if you don't get "all the hits all the time".   Enjoy the hunt - its all part of the fun.

This is certainly true. I used to live in a low noise area with a good antenna, now I live in an apartment near the city. I heard things there with cheap receivers that I cannot hear here with world class communications receivers. a good receiver is a great help, but so is a good antenna, location, etc.
In another life, I could have been a telephone engineer.

Offline NoSlacking

• Norwich, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 10, 2020, 1615 UTC »
I use a Tecsun PL310ET at the moment, often with a wire hanging out my window. Good starter unit, and especially good for listening at sea when I'm away for work.

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground Garden Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns