We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: What are you using for SWLing?  (Read 10793 times)

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
Re: What are you using for SWLing?
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2020, 2038 UTC »
Try your hand at using an online sdr here;
http://kiwisdr.com/public/
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline alpard

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2020, 1030 UTC »
Great link for the SDR,  thank you.

I tried them, but I still prefer the old analogue HF receivers for its vintage tone and tuning method.
But SDR is good to have as bonus.

SDR sites like that are available all over the world mean, that you don't actually need to own one yourself?
ICOM R71E, Lowe HF-225, YAESU FRG100, TECSUN PL-330, PL-320, XHDATA D-109, D-808, MSi001 SDR, AOR AR3030, Sangean ATS803, ATS-909X, Antenna= Random Wire+ATU, Active Miniwhip

https://twitter.com/RadioPax88
https://www.youtube.com/@RadioPax88/videos

Offline kris

• Marconi Class DXer
  • N.Poland
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2020, 1331 UTC »
   The KiwiSDR network is a valuable tool for SWL.     In my opinion, this is only half the fun compared to  its SDR controlled by PlayUno or HDSDR. Band Scope and Waterfall show you everything that happens in the ether, allows you to quickly and consciously search and identify stations that interest you.
   Often, my set is better than Kiwi, which can be due to Sky Loop, own improvements and location.
You can have a bank of your stations, scan their activity, instantly select them from the bank, program keyboard or computer, with the mouse from the waterfall.
      Yes, the sound is a bit sharp, which also irritated me, but you can improve it by means of the equalizer and appropriate selection of the audio bandwidth, selection of active speakers or headphones.
  The noise of the receiver and the sound card are at a certain level not to be improved. Look for antenna matching, good grounding, HF power traps, maybe a different PC or sound card.
  It hurts me less because the advantages of SDR over analog radio are overwhelming for me.                                               Yes, it happens that the analog will have clearer reception from SDR. More often, however, thanks to sharp HF and audio filters, Synchronous Mode, Notch Filters, decimation and optimization of HF gain, you will get an understanding of transmission when the analog has died.

> Dear moderators, I think that this thread should be fully transferred to SDR receivers.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 1527 UTC by kris »
RX888 ( SDR-FE-PLAY, HRD-747, Sony XDR-F1HD),
Ant. Sky Loop 180m 15m AGL, Sky Loop 120m 35m AGL
       + QRM X-phase eliminator
QTH: Gdańsk N.Poland  Ru/Sp/Gr/Sb=Russian,Spanish,Greek,Serbien
eQSL appreciated to: 13krzycho@gmail.com

Offline Penmaker

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2020, 0049 UTC »
I use one of my Ham rigs. Yaesu FT-818ND because its easilly portable. At home I use a OCF dipole 40m 1/2 wave 30 feet up. At work or portable I use the rubber whip that came with the radio or a home made vertical thats up about 22 feet.

Offline alpard

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2020, 0837 UTC »
It seems that analogue receivers are still very good for hunting around to see what is out there in the bands, just tune around the knob for the interesting signals.

But if you are after certain stations for certain programs on the specified time, then punching in the freq. into the receiver on the time, then yes I would guess the SDR or Digital receivers are useful.

ICOM R71E, Lowe HF-225, YAESU FRG100, TECSUN PL-330, PL-320, XHDATA D-109, D-808, MSi001 SDR, AOR AR3030, Sangean ATS803, ATS-909X, Antenna= Random Wire+ATU, Active Miniwhip

Matt285

« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2020, 2342 UTC »
SDR is quite an advantage and offers a lot of features, but I still enjoy spinning a knob. I think I always will. However I think I'll always have an SDR receiver too!

Offline alpard

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2020, 2349 UTC »
Yeah, I think I am in the same opinion.

Now I have a vintage Sangean 803A, and it seems working quite well.  I was listening to Radio Korea on 9515 Khz for an hour on the 803A.  Problem is that it uses D size batteries which are heavy and expensive.  I will need to buy a DC adaptor for it.  But the old set is cheap, and working OK, so it is good.

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2020, 2144 UTC »
It's kind of the old tradeoff. The old rigs (esp. the tube ones) sound great and many were super sensitive without modern things like DSP or triple conversion. But DSP and triple conversion are cool noise reducing features and of course you can know exactly where you're tuned, or jump from, say, seeing if WWV is on 2.5 MHz straight to say, RNZI on 13840 kHz (13.84 MHz) with push button entry. And SDR's let you see a whole band. It's great.

I don't have any real good analog rigs. I have an ancient Airline tabletop model from the 30s that has SW from the MW band up through about 7 MHz but that part doesn't work any more. I have a Realistic DX-300 which is nice at times, but impossible to use if for SSB - it drifts like an unmanned boat on a swift river. My preferred rigs at the moment are my Icom IC-7100 and my SDRplay RSPdx, both of which I prefer to use with my G5RV, which seems my best antenna for rx as well as tx. But I have a few other loop antennas, both active and passive. You can see all I have in my comment signature.

Every rig has its strengths and weaknesses. My Satellit 750 easily overloads with strong signals on the MW band, so I can't use an external antenna without a band blocking filter. My PL-600 is actually better on the front end and about as sensitive, but the SSB is terrible - overdriven and you actually have simultaneous USB and LSB which you can't choose from. The IC-7100 isn't really a listening receiver in spite of continuous reception from 0.030-199.99 and 400-470 MHz, choosing frequencies is a bit awkward and the inbuilt speaker is weak (though that's par for the course, they want you to spend more money on a nice plug-in speaker). The SDRplay is a quality SDR for the money but there are better SDR's to be had if you spend more. It all depends on my mood which one gets used.
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

Offline alpard

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2020, 1752 UTC »
I have a Realistic DX-300 which is nice at times, but impossible to use if for SSB - it drifts like an unmanned boat on a swift river.

I almost got a DX-300, but missed out on the auction. Then I was going after a DX-160, and then DX-150, and outbid again.
But I managed to get a DX-392, and then Sangean ATS-803A in good price.  These are great receivers I find. They are very sensitive, stable and sounding good.

I am shocked to hear nice looking DX-300 is such a bad performer drifting too much to hear SSB.  Should I be glad that I missed them out, or is your DX-300 a lemon?

Offline Strange Beacons

• Naples, Florida USA
    • View Profile
    • Strange Beacons Website
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2020, 2235 UTC »
I mainly use my KiwiSDR with W6LVP mag loop, or my ICOM 7300 with Alpha Loop (I live in a condo, hence the reason for my reliance on magnetic loop antennas. Fortunately, my experience with them has been very positive). Finally, I occasionally hit the road with my Tecsun PL-660 and separate factory long-wire antenna.

I've really gotten more into SWLing since I moved from Seattle, Washington to Southwest Florida. The propagation in my current area is vastly superior to what I formally had in mountainous Washington.  8)

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2020, 0200 UTC »
I have a Realistic DX-300 which is nice at times, but impossible to use if for SSB - it drifts like an unmanned boat on a swift river.

I almost got a DX-300, but missed out on the auction. Then I was going after a DX-160, and then DX-150, and outbid again.
But I managed to get a DX-392, and then Sangean ATS-803A in good price.  These are great receivers I find. They are very sensitive, stable and sounding good.

I am shocked to hear nice looking DX-300 is such a bad performer drifting too much to hear SSB.  Should I be glad that I missed them out, or is your DX-300 a lemon?

I came into mine for a price I couldn't beat - free. The thing fell in my lap, I wasn't even looking for it. But it's old and probably has never had any of the tuneup work old receivers need. So I don't feel burned. If I knew how to fix it up, I would and perhaps that would take care of the drift. That said, I seem to recall seeing things about how the DX-300 had issues and was rather quickly replaced with the identical-in-appearance DX-302. Don't take my word for that, though. I can't recall what the issues were.
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2020, 0204 UTC »
I mainly use my KiwiSDR with W6LVP mag loop, or my ICOM 7300 with Alpha Loop (I live in a condo, hence the reason for my reliance on magnetic loop antennas. Fortunately, my experience with them has been very positive). Finally, I occasionally hit the road with my Tecsun PL-660 and separate factory long-wire antenna.

I've really gotten more into SWLing since I moved from Seattle, Washington to Southwest Florida. The propagation in my current area is vastly superior to what I formally had in mountainous Washington.  8)

The difference I had with just my PL-600 and a Sangean ANT-60 when I went to Florida in the fall of 2017, vs what I could (or more accurately, couldn't) hear with my Satellit 750 and W6LVP when I visited Seattle last summer. I know solar activity was rock bottom but that didn't account for it all. Florida is like a SWL dream spot. Probably all those wetlands and being a peninsula.
Denver, CO.

Offline alpard

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2020, 0713 UTC »

I came into mine for a price I couldn't beat - free. The thing fell in my lap, I wasn't even looking for it. But it's old and probably has never had any of the tuneup work old receivers need. So I don't feel burned. If I knew how to fix it up, I would and perhaps that would take care of the drift. That said, I seem to recall seeing things about how the DX-300 had issues and was rather quickly replaced with the identical-in-appearance DX-302. Don't take my word for that, though. I can't recall what the issues were.

Maybe that is why so many DX-300 is for sale? I see a few of them sale on eBay every week.
It looks quite decent DX radio, but never knew it had serious drift problems.
Glad that I am outbid on the DX-300 by other bidders.
I am happy with my Sangean ATS-803A and Realistic DX-392. They are awesome DX receivers.

Offline alpard

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2020, 0727 UTC »
For which type of receivers are better points, I suppose it all depends on your style of listening too.

If you are into any SW signals to find out where it is broadcasting from, and by who, and for that if you are referencing the SW schedule site on the internet, identifying signals you hear for their origins to see how many different countries you heard, then maybe SDRs and definitely some digital frequency readout receivers would be must.

But if you are, like me, just after English and your mother tongue language broadcast services, so you want to find signals and the contents that you understand from the program, then really frequency readouts doesn't matter. You roughly go to the active parts of the SW spectrum for the time of the day that you are listening, and tune about for the most interesting stations you hear, and just listen to them = news, commentaries or songs whatever, then vintage analogue SW radios do the job perfectly?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 0900 UTC by alpard »

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2020, 0503 UTC »
Maybe that is why so many DX-300 is for sale? I see a few of them sale on eBay every week.
It looks quite decent DX radio, but never knew it had serious drift problems.
Glad that I am outbid on the DX-300 by other bidders.
I am happy with my Sangean ATS-803A and Realistic DX-392. They are awesome DX receivers.

I don't know about the others. It's only SSB mode that drifts, though. It's rock solid in AM mode.
Denver, CO.