We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: UNID 3223 kHz ~0320z  (Read 8044 times)

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
Re: UNID 3223 kHz ~0320z
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2012, 1245 UTC »
A LP AM'er  in SW Ohio uses 1610. I hear them very occasionally,maybe once a year,tops. Their format is a lot like college station. It's usually a guy/girl announcing team.

Other than them coming in via skip,1610 in my listening area is all Latino.

Offline weaksigs

• Central Florida
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2012, 1650 UTC »
Still wondering about the possibility of a second harmonic!
Could be as that sounds like a typical AM broadcaster who
might've included some non-music programming.

Just a guess!!

weaksigs
Central Florida
136' random wire for general HF,
Winradio Excalibur G31 & Kenwood TS-590

Peace!

Offline jFarley

• Marconi Class DXer
  • near Chicago
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2012, 2239 UTC »
It's pretty early (~2230) and this thing is still coming up.  I've been listening abt a half hour and have been getting a "POSSIBLE" correlation between audio on the UNID and this stream:  http://www.goodtimeoldies.webs.com/

Song tempos, song breaks, and some bass line has been jiving over this period.

It is a Part 15 near Rock Island, IL.  I will be away from the RX for a while, and just throw this out as a possibility only...

Joe Farley, Near Chicago
SDR-IQ / R8 / R7
Remote Resonant Loops for HF and LF / ALA 1530
Active 60" Whip / PA0RDT
QSLS appreciated to:    jfarley44@att.net

Offline Rafman

• DXing Phenomena
  • Virgilina Border
  • Pirate Radio: Radio FUN minus Station Management!!
    • View Profile
    • WirelessDX - Collection of Pirate Radio clips by Rafman K4RAF
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2012, 2344 UTC »
It's likely an AM BCB harmonic...
If it's coming up now [before sunset], it clearly shows it is being affected by sunset...
JMHO but if it were really late at night, it could be Pacific, like Papua New Guinea...
BTW: Welcome to the group N8 !!!
Rafman
~
Rafman
Onion Flats [Baskerville] VA USA
[All QSLs greatly appreciated: WIFIDX@gmail.com]
Elad FDM-S1&S2 / SDRplay1 & SDRplay2
Mizuho SX59 & SX3 preselectors / JPS ANC4 Noise Phaser
41m EU beverage / 40m loop / 75m CF Zepp / 41m Sloping Dipole
The "Real FCC" http://bit.ly/2lQDNYm

Offline n8hensley

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2012, 0307 UTC »
Let me throw in this juicy nugget: The signal has been broadcasting since I first heard it the other night. Or, at least, any time I tune in, it's on. It's very faintly on right now, playing what sounds to be metal. I think this possible 24-hour play supports the skipped-AM signal. (Either that, or there's a dead pirate somewhere with his/her transmitter still running.)

On the other hand, I listened to the broadcast for more than an hour yesterday [see above] without hearing one station ID or commercial. I would expect both of those from an AM station in the States.

I should also mention here that all the songs, and that crappy movie I heard, are all in English. Not sure if that thickens the plot.

ps: Hungry Like a Wolf (Duran Duran) is playing right now, 0323z
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 0325 UTC by n8hensley »

Offline zackers

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2012, 0413 UTC »
I've been listening off and on to 3223 since 2300Z this evening. I haven't heard even a hint of a signal in Urbana, IL. Not even a carrier.

WWCR on 3215 is 40 over 9 or better, almost pinning my s-meter.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 0420 UTC by zackers »
East Central Illinois
TS-850S, 40 meter full-wave loop, various dipoles

cmradio

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2012, 0537 UTC »
Carrier current "listen in any room" device? ???

Peace!

Offline zackers

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2012, 1431 UTC »
Hi N8,

First off, welcome to HFU!

What kind of a radio are you using? Antenna?

Is there anything in your vicinity you know of that might be doing an in-house transmission that just covers a building, as CM mentioned?

Can you DF the signal at all to get a direction?
East Central Illinois

Offline Rafman

• DXing Phenomena
  • Virgilina Border
  • Pirate Radio: Radio FUN minus Station Management!!
    • View Profile
    • WirelessDX - Collection of Pirate Radio clips by Rafman K4RAF
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2012, 1644 UTC »
Considering you hear it day & night, I's bet whatever you are hearing is within 500 miles of you...
As some suggest, it is likely even very close to you...
I have heard nothing here in VA since you posted this...

Very Curious Indeed!

Rafman
~
Rafman
Onion Flats [Baskerville] VA USA
[All QSLs greatly appreciated: WIFIDX@gmail.com]
Elad FDM-S1&S2 / SDRplay1 & SDRplay2
Mizuho SX59 & SX3 preselectors / JPS ANC4 Noise Phaser
41m EU beverage / 40m loop / 75m CF Zepp / 41m Sloping Dipole
The "Real FCC" http://bit.ly/2lQDNYm

Offline zackers

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2012, 2002 UTC »
I'm not hearing it approximately 150 miles to the south. I will probably be passing right by him next Saturday on my way to Wisconsin for Easter. I'll give a listen then.

Maybe it's coming from that huge tower on that building in Pilsen?
East Central Illinois

Offline n8hensley

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2012, 2307 UTC »
Ha! Maybe. I've always wondered what that was about.

To answer Zackers's question: I have a Grundig S350DL. Like I said above, pretty basic; not only am I new to this board, I'm new to SWL as well. My antenna is a "loop"--really a square--about 50 feet long. I don't have a whole lot of options where I live; I'm surrounded by buildings and electric wires.

I believe the "in-house transmitter" theory is probably correct. I'm not sure why someone would transmit on a SW frequency, or why they would have their music on at all hours, but there are a lot of weird cats in this city. I could attempt to locate the signal, but at 11,864.4 people per square mile, it might be easier said that done.

Offline jFarley

• Marconi Class DXer
  • near Chicago
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2012, 0114 UTC »
A few comments to FUBAR this whole thing up.

Observations the last two late afternoons have convinced me that at my location I am seeing two carriers.  There is a weaker one, typically around 3219.8 +/- change.  This carrier seems to be "fairly" stable in frequency, and is usually noted as a faint trace in the waterfall, although it does from time to time diminish in strength, only to reappear.  I have not been able to get any audio from this, even in USB, with either the SDR or an R8. 

The second carrier I note is always stronger, and lower in frequency.  It typically varies during a one hour listening period from a min of about 6219.397 to a max of about 6219.576 and between.  I have been able to get trace audio from this, and have been able to ID maybe 10% of the songs.

I use a small loop to DX.  I absolutely do not DF pirates, and if I did, I would definitely not put that information into the public domain.  The loop is mounted on mast at a fixed (although rotatable) azimuth which benefits my non-pirate targets as well as suppressing QRM from the closest house. 

Many of the above comments, especially those by CM and Pigmeat, taken together kind of forced me to believe that this UNID, at least the one I was hearing, was not a pirate, a commercial station or harmonic, or an int'l broadcaster.  That left a Part 15 op as a possibility.  I supposed that it would be possible for a bit of 2nd harmonic to go NVIS and make it here to Chicago.  I did an "exhaustive" search for Part 15s here in the Tri-State area.  I realize that they are most likely not all listed, but there were two in the area listed as using 1610.  One, in Michigan, had religious programming.  The second, near Rock Island IL, had a website with an embedded stream player.

Yesterday afternoon (Thursday 29Mar12) I compared audio from the web stream for the Part 15 to the trace audio on 3219+.  Listening to about 15 songs, the audio of about half of what I heard on both the radio and the web stream seemed to jive in their tempos and bass lines.  Two songs (Magic Carpet Ride and Bad to the Bone) were definite.  A third (Green Onions, unmistakable at any S/N ratio!) I was able to ID via the radio prior to checking the web stream.  Dead air between stream songs was consistently and accurately rendered in the SDR waterfall.

I was a little stunned, but convinced that the lower of the 2 carriers was indeed a harmonic of a listed Part 15 named Good Time Oldies 1610 in near Rock Island IL.  That being the case, I DFed it.  3 measurements taken over a half hour period of running in and out of the house and manually rotating the loop by hand put this about 5 to 15 estimated degrees South of due West (and also North of due East); Quad Cities.

I repeated this exercise this afternoon (Friday 30Mar12) with the same results.  The DFs were the same.  Out of twenty songs, I was only able to ID one first via the RF.  But it was impossible to mishear Frankie Valli singing "Girl, you make me lose my mind!"

So, I think this may actually make things worse for n8!  The playlist and presentation of GTO 1610 does not seem to, at least in this late afternoon time slot, match what he was hearing.  I would like to hear GTO far later at night, as possibly he goes off the playbook.  It's been a little too noisy the last couple of nights to do this. 

There are two carriers there.  It may be that I can hear one and not the other, the one that n8 is hearing.  And vicey versy...I just dunno.  Still need some boots on the ground for the second.

Joe Farley, Near Chicago
SDR-IQ / R8 / R7
Active 60" Whip / PA0RDT

Offline Andrew Yoder

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
    • Hobby Broadcasting Blog
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2012, 0148 UTC »
Joe: Awesome catch & great detective work. I've never heard of a true Part 15 station being heard so far away (whether via a harmonic or the fundamental). It's what, about 150 miles away from you?
Please QSL to: POB 109, BRS, PA 17214
Hobby Broadcasting Blog: http://hobbybroadcasting.blogspot.com/
Drake R8, AOR AR-7030, R-390A, R-388, SX-28A, Philco 44 + some others    Horizontal loops & 1/2-wave inverted V

Offline jFarley

• Marconi Class DXer
  • near Chicago
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2012, 0158 UTC »
Andrew; thanks, but the credit goes to n8 for a really great log, and the 2 guys I ment for their comments.

You used the term "true Part 15";  On the web site noted above, there is a statement of compliance to Part 15.  There is also a link to their coverage map.  I don't know know enough about such ops, but the coverage area shore do seem a bit large for legal power and antenna height...
Joe Farley, Near Chicago
SDR-IQ / R8 / R7
Active 60" Whip / PA0RDT

Offline n8hensley

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2012, 0301 UTC »
Great detective work indeed! I'm impressed by your moxie.

But alas! The radio station you posted was not playing the same songs as our mystery broadcaster. (Earlier today--starting at 2323z--the "pirate" played more than an hour of Foreigner songs. That's a lot of Foreigner.)

I'll be very interested to see if Zackers can pick up the signal while he comes through town.

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground T-Shirt
by MitchellTimeDesigns