We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: What were those antennas good for  (Read 1451 times)

Offline FS

• Stuttgart, DE
  • HAM OPR
    • ICQ Messenger - 424227163
    • View Profile
What were those antennas good for
« on: May 10, 2020, 2106 UTC »
Hi,
I'm from Germany, near Stuttgart.
A few years ago I discovered 4 antennas in the woods.
Coords: 48.689715, 9.085973
The antennas are secured by a big double fence (NATO-razorblase version).
I can see the feeding line (kind of Heliax Air >20kW) are cut.
There are 4 of 13 Element yagis. I would estimate the frequency at around 9-11 MHz.
Does someone know, what this station was used for? Does anybody have a clue?

Best regards,
 Fabian

Offline Ct Yankee

• Marconi Class DXer
  • 2 of our 4 food groups in Durham CT - Play ball!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: What were those antennas good for
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2020, 2204 UTC »

Fabian -

The coordinates you gave are near Panzer Kaserne, a U.S. military installation in Böblingen, originally German then post World War II it became American.  I am thinking under razor fencing, it may have been military related.  My. 90 year old father-in-law served in the American sector of Germany in the early 50's, I don't recall exactly where.  I will ask him the next time I speak with him, he was a radio operator.

By the way, welcome to the board.
Tecsun H501x (broadcast received on this unless noted), Zenith T/O G500, Zenith T/O Royal 7000, Emerson AR-176, Zenith 8S154, T/O 7G605 (Bomber), Tecsun PL-600, Tecsun PL-880, Zenith 5S320, Realistic DX 160 using 40 feet of copper wire.  With apologies to Senator Gramm for his thoughts on firearms, "I have more radios than I need but not as many as I want."
QTH:  Durham, Connecticut (rural setting, 15 miles north of Long Island Sound)
qsl please to:  jamcanner@comcast.net  (Thank you)

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2020, 2020 UTC »
Log periodics, mebbe 3 to 30mhz operation. Giant mofos! The one to the south of the facility seems to be having issues with the lowest frequency element.

If that's Panzer Kasserne, my uncle was there in the early 50s with the US Army Signal Corps(e). There's a few logs in and around Omaha Nebraska of that size located a few miles from downtown so as to "survive" nuclear blast I suppose, ATT owns one atop their building in downtown Omaha however, they did when I was there, might be gone now. OFFUT AFB has some rotatables at the Elkhorn Communications Detachment a few miles west of Omaha, as well as one in NP Dodge state park in north Omaha.

Might be interesting to note freqs, languages, and azimuths of these antennae when they become active (don't be surprised if certain "espione" transmissions are sent via these same behemoths).

:D
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline glimmer twin

• DX Legend
  • "I found my way to heaven , I did my time in hell"
    • View Profile
KCMO  Icom R 75 , SDR-IQ, Grundig Satellit 750 ,Tecsun PL 880, Tecsun PL660 , Tecsun PL380 & PL360  10 meter random wire  w/ RF systems MLB    Alpha Delta SWL DX sloper  
qsl   keithglimmer810@gmail.com

gentlemen,you can not fight in here, this is the war room

Offline ve6jy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2020, 2319 UTC »
Actually all 4 of the log periodics have issues with the lowest frequency element, on one it's missing entirely.  Makes one wonder if it is actually in use.

Don
VE6JY

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2020, 1838 UTC »
Yeah have to get someone enarby to monitor for radioactivity. Also, even with the loss of longest elements they still work fine on the higher bands.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline NJQA

• Virginia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2020, 0951 UTC »
I’ve heard that the antennas are gone and the area is now used as a paintball field.

The site is mentioned here:

https://www.usarmygermany.com/Sont.htm?https&&&www.usarmygermany.com/Units/Signal/USAREUR_SignalCorps%20CN-ECCCS.htm

Offline FS

• Stuttgart, DE
  • HAM OPR
    • ICQ Messenger - 424227163
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2020, 2234 UTC »
Hi,
I have pictures of the Station inside and close-ups of the antennas.

https://imgur.com/a/F7y37s4

The antennas were put down a few months ago. The construction workers were kind and let me take some pictures.
I hope this is not confidential stuff. If yes, please let me know.

Best regards,
 Fabian, DJ9FS
« Last Edit: June 04, 2020, 2244 UTC by FS »