We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Interference With Police Dispatch  (Read 3435 times)

Offline Matt_B

• Southwestern CT, USA
    • View Profile
    • Radio Free Connecticut
Interference With Police Dispatch
« on: June 01, 2020, 0139 UTC »
OK, I just heard something quite freaky. 

For the last couple of nights, I've been tuning into police scanners as I try to keep up with the riots.  Tonight, I was listening to dispatch messages from the Chicago Police Department (via Broadcastify). 

At about 0121 UTC on 1 June 2020, this came over the scanner. 

Looks like ANTIFA and their pirate buddies are out in force.  Heh. 
Matt Boland
Southwestern CT
Owner/Operator, "Radio Free Connecticut"
PS4: JupBol16

Offline shadypyro

• British Columbia Canada
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Interference With Police Dispatch
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2020, 0152 UTC »
That’s crazy, it reminds me of one YouTube video where someone was playing one of Hitler’s speech and it was jamming one of the Chicago Police frequency
Tecsun PL-880, MLA-30 plus loop antenna. Various sdrs.

Please eQSL to deserthawk1990@hotmail.com

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2020, 0220 UTC »
This is the kind of activity that pushes public service to digital and encrypted.

And while I am totally against banning any kind of radio from private ownership, this is also the kind of activity that gives strength to regulations on what can and cannot be sold in the country.

T!
T!
Mojave Desert, California USA

Offline shadypyro

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2020, 0528 UTC »
This is the kind of activity that pushes public service to digital and encrypted.

And while I am totally against banning any kind of radio from private ownership, this is also the kind of activity that gives strength to regulations on what can and cannot be sold in the country.

T!

The local police station where I live went encrypted years ago so I can't listen to them, however I can listen to the Victoria Police Department and the Sooke RCMP as they are digital and in the crest system.

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2020, 1946 UTC »
The local police station where I live went encrypted years ago so I can't listen to them, however I can listen to the Victoria Police Department and the Sooke RCMP as they are digital and in the crest system.

Almost nothing is encrypted here, and only a little is digital.  You can still grab 90+% of the stuff around here with a Pro-2004 ;)

Local PD has one analog FM channel and one digital channel, but it is not encrypted.  They speak on it at times like they think it is secure, I wonder if they think it is?  The local mil base went digital and secure for base operations, but the base PD and FD are still analog and clear.  All of the county agencies around are analog and in the clear.  The county SWAT unit has a digital and secure channel.  That is about it.

Basically I can hear almost everything for a 90 mile radius, with only a couple of channels that I can't get.  We are behind the times here, kind of very 1990's in comms here.

T!
T!
Mojave Desert, California USA

Offline sat_dxer

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2020, 1912 UTC »
Looks like ANTIFA and their pirate buddies are out in force.  Heh.
hearsay OM
---------------
In the same city in the Max Headroom signal hijacking incident the participants are still unidentified...
Most times & frequencies posted are only an approximation.

Offline radiogaga

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2020, 1941 UTC »
The last 2 jamming instances here were not surprising, 1 hambo and 1 fireman.
Antifa that....

rgg

Offline shadypyro

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2020, 0314 UTC »

Almost nothing is encrypted here, and only a little is digital.  You can still grab 90+% of the stuff around here with a Pro-2004 ;)

Local PD has one analog FM channel and one digital channel, but it is not encrypted.  They speak on it at times like they think it is secure, I wonder if they think it is?  The local mil base went digital and secure for base operations, but the base PD and FD are still analog and clear.  All of the county agencies around are analog and in the clear.  The county SWAT unit has a digital and secure channel.  That is about it.

Basically I can hear almost everything for a 90 mile radius, with only a couple of channels that I can't get.  We are behind the times here, kind of very 1990's in comms here.

T!

That for sure

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2020, 1821 UTC »
When the Rodney king riots were raging, someone keyed up the Omaha tac channel and told the officers trying to contain the rioters "gentlemen, you have a green light", meaning permission to open fire. The officers must have known they were being played. The Omaha Emergency Response Unit (swat) team used green and red light codes then, and comms were unencrypted.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline shadypyro

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2020, 0545 UTC »
Crazy stuff, and looks like the protest in New York is winding down haven’t heard any action on the NYPD citywide scanner feed.

Offline fpeconsultant

• DX Legend
  • I miss "Up Against the Wall Radio"...
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2020, 1846 UTC »
I live near chicago and was monitoring the shit show this past Sunday.  Indeed someone has the ability to broadcast on the police dispatch frequencies - it started about 3pm local time here - someone yelling things to block the police from communicating.  About 4pm it became what sounded like very loud choir type music with full orchestra - the cops switched to " city wide frequencies " - they did have some radio techs trying to figure out what was happening but the best I can tell, the pirate transmissions just all of a sudden stopped.  Busted?  Not sure but it stopped.
I'm a big fan of the "max headroom incident" type activity but blocking police transmissions could result in somebody (on either side) not receiving emergency aid if needed.
Strange times - even to an old Hippie.
Near Chicago, IL USA.  Drake R8, Ten-Tec RX340, JRC NRD545, Watkins Johnson HF-1000, Wellbrook loop at 28', 43m inverted vee.  Please QSL to fpeconsultant@aol.com thanks.

Offline shadypyro

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2020, 1816 UTC »
Seems the rioting has went quiet, don’t hear any interference anymore