We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: TDoA_service - Hams or FCC?  (Read 1733 times)

Offline OgreVorbis

• View Profile
    • DosaidSoft
    • Email
TDoA_service - Hams or FCC?
« on: June 01, 2020, 0304 UTC »
Recently I was listening to a pirate broadcast and this user called "TDoA_service" was entering some SDRs and set to the same frequency of the pirate station. Is this something that pirates typically experience from curious ham operators or is this the FCC?
Radio and Programming Blog: http://dosaidsoft.com/wp/

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Re: TDoA_service - Hams or FCC?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2020, 1245 UTC »
Curious listeners, the FCC has far more accurate technology. 
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Charlie_Dont_Surf

• Charlie's Point, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2020, 0731 UTC »
Recently I was listening to a pirate broadcast and this user called "TDoA_service" was entering some SDRs and set to the same frequency of the pirate station. Is this something that pirates typically experience from curious ham operators or is this the FCC?

The FCC has had pretty good capability for decades. I'm fairly confident in saying that given the commercial contractors they can access for equipment and software, who also do equipment for the military and "the spooks", that their capabilities probably far exceed the KiwiSDR network at this point.

In case anyone cares what the OP saw: it is a request from another receiver to use the KiwiSDR that he was using for 30 seconds to gather TDOA data.

When you go onto a kiwiSDR receiver's web interface and select the TDOA option, you then get to select receivers to use for TDOA. When you have selected the receivers and press "start" to commence the TDOA run, your computer will initiate a request for 30 seconds of reception on the "remote" receivers you have selected for the TDOA run. During that 30 seconds of collection, you will see "TDOA_service" as one of the users of that "remote" receiver.
I don't STRETCH the truth.

"Every minute I spend in this room, my signal gets weaker.
Every minute Charlie squats in the bush, his signal gets stronger."

Offline Brian

• Ireland
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2020, 1239 UTC »
I noticed a few  weeks ago that someone was using TDoA while listening to my transmission. I wonder how accurate it was?
Yesterday I tried it to located a HF  transmitter which I already know the location of and found it To be hopelessly inaccurate. Skywave wouldn't have helped.

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2020, 1445 UTC »
I noticed a few  weeks ago that someone was using TDoA while listening to my transmission. I wonder how accurate it was?
Yesterday I tried it to located a HF  transmitter which I already know the location of and found it To be hopelessly inaccurate. Skywave wouldn't have helped.

I am not sure at all why there is *any* concern by HF pirates regarding TDoA. It's not going to provide a significantly more accurate location than you can guess anyway based on propagation conditions and looking a logs by other listeners and comparing reception.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree