We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: CHAZ Free Radio Stations?  (Read 1648 times)

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
CHAZ Free Radio Stations?
« on: June 17, 2020, 2311 UTC »
Are there any MW/FM/SW free radio broadcasts going on in CHAZ/CHOP?

Asking for a friend.

Minneapolis, MN

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
Re: CHAZ Free Radio Stations?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2020, 0229 UTC »
On a different radio forum it's reported that there are none in the area.
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2020, 0607 UTC »
Well, from what I've observed from CHAZ, CHOP, or whatever they will next call that now 3 block area, if it can't come over a smart phone, then there's no use, or interest, for it. That, and unless it's all plug& play, I suspect that the technical competency to build, assemble, and run, a pirate station there doesn't exist. Yes, I can certainly be wrong here, but that said in the preceding, it may be interesting to monitor the known pirate FM stations in areas where the protests, and riots, have been going on in other cities.   
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2020, 0646 UTC »
Seattle had a thriving free radio community back in the 90's.  There was a documentary about it called Pirate Radio USA, the link is here... https://youtu.be/hkQsHHwsj4M

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2020, 1948 UTC »
Oh wow!!!! Thanks for the reminder. I haven't corresponded with these two in years. Maybe, I should again. I even bought the DVD at the time and promoted the schytt out of their movie. I just can't believe that was just 15 years ago. (Here comes the Ben Stein WOW here.)
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline KaySeeks

• DX Legend
  • Quebec. Vive la différence.
    • View Profile
Just somebody with a radio, a computer and a pair of headphones...

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2020, 0723 UTC »
Oh wow!!!! Thanks for the reminder. I haven't corresponded with these two in years. Maybe, I should again. I even bought the DVD at the time and promoted the schytt out of their movie. I just can't believe that was just 15 years ago. (Here comes the Ben Stein WOW here.)

I bought their DVD too.  It took a lot of work to put together and glad they had the foresight to document all they did.

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2020, 0103 UTC »
This must be what you are looking for: https://fccdata.org/?call=CHAZ&ccode=2&city=&state=&country=CA&cansvc=B&party=&party_type=CDN&lang=en

It seems as though there just may be an international incident brewing. While CHAZ-FM is only 15W, they are established.

CHAZ claims they renamed themselves to CHOP, but that just moves the North American conflict east with the 5W blowtorch CHOP-FM is in Ontario.

Now, a protest at the HAARP station would be interesting...

Minneapolis, MN