We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: RPi Ethernet question  (Read 1986 times)

Offline IQ_imbalance

• Central MD
    • View Profile
RPi Ethernet question
« on: June 21, 2020, 0338 UTC »
So if I’m connecting a device with a static IP directly to my RPi via Ethernet, any speculation why it wouldn’t be detected?  I know the cable is good, I know the Ethernet is good (I can ssh into the RPi from my mac), and I know the device is fine (i can ping it from my macs Ethernet port).  There’s something about the damn RPi configuration that’s just not meshing...I even checked that the device and the RPi have the same subnet mask.
Any ideas?
LOG/NE-SW unterminated BOG/DJ-130/800Mhz Yagi
AFEDRI SDR-Net ICF-SC1 SDS-200 various RTL-SDR
Central MD

Offline NJQA

• Virginia
    • View Profile
Re: RPi Ethernet question
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2020, 1145 UTC »
To be clear, you are connecting the RPi directly to the device...a single ethernet cable with no switch or hub in between?  Is that correct?

Years ago it mattered if you had a normal ethernet cable vice a crossover cable for this situation, but it seems like most computers automatically sense and compensate for that today.  I have no idea if the RPi does this....maybe the Mac does and the RPi doesn’t?

Offline IQ_imbalance

• Central MD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2020, 1345 UTC »
Yep...direct connection.  The idea is to use an instance of icecast running on the RPi to stream the device’s (it’s a radio btw) audio wirelessly.

You being up a good point...while the Ethernet port on the RPi should autosense (they’ve done that for awhile) it’s possible something is wonky there.  Wouldn’t matter on the Mac since it would take up the slack, don’t know about the device’s own port.

I should try plugging in my afedri to the RPi and see if those two can communicate....
Central MD

Offline IQ_imbalance

• Central MD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2020, 2150 UTC »
Finally got it to work.  After messing around with static IPs, etc. just had to set relative priorities for WiFi and ethernet and let DHCP do its thing.

Now...if i can get the rtsp/rtp stream into icecast2...... 
Central MD

Offline syfr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2020, 1405 UTC »
PiFinder is a handy bit of software.....
Kiwsdr x 2. TenTec Paragon/NRD535

Offline a417

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2020, 1516 UTC »
Years ago it mattered if you had a normal ethernet cable vice a crossover cable for this situation, but it seems like most computers automatically sense and compensate for that today.  I have no idea if the RPi does this..

The RPi ethernet port fully supports Auto MDI-X (crossover), however the OP did discover that giving ethernet the priority and letting DHCP go at it was the solution

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2020, 2018 UTC »
Leases, especially of the dhcp kind, are messy.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground House Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns