We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Toronto police charge 11, say tow trucks have been using encrypted radio  (Read 921 times)

Offline myteaquinn

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/toronto-police-tow-truck-radios-1.5622069;

Toronto police have laid further charges against an officer who allegedly took part in a scheme to provide encrypted police radios to tow truck drivers.

A total of 11 people are facing more than 50 charges as a result of the investigation, which has been underway since August 2019.

The accused Toronto police officer, Const. Ronald Joseph, is facing a series of charges including fraud and trafficking of property obtained by crime. Police announced last week that Joseph was facing charges of breach of trust and fraud over $5,000.

Investigators say the criminal operation put encrypted police scanners in the hands of "several" tow truck drivers working for multiple companies around Toronto.

"They used the radio's encrypted transmissions to learn about and arrive at traffic collisions before other tow truck drivers for financial gain," said police in a news release.

There are further allegations that calls made over the encrypted channels were broadcast to other tow truck drivers, who paid a monthly fee for access to the information.

Police say at least one of the radios was stolen by an officer.

Investigators from the force's Professional Standards Unit executed search warrants and made arrests over the last two months.

They have so far seized three radios, various other radio parts, six tow trucks and one loaded gun.

The Greater Toronto Area's tow truck industry has become a frequent target of police investigations over the past several years, with allegations of rampant violence and arson among drivers and companies.

Police announce arrests after probe into organized crime and violence in tow truck industry
In late May, police in York region announced multiple arrests due to an alleged turf war between companies.

York police say at least four homicides and 30 arsons over the past three years can be traced to organized crime groups operating within the industry.

CBC's Journalistic Standards and Practices|About CBC
Northeast Ohio
Now using Shazam for song identification
myteaquinn@yahoo.com

Offline Traveling Wave

• DX Legend
  • Western N.Y.
  • Nobody told me there'd be days like these
    • View Profile
    • Email
Based upon my personal experience traveling on the QEW/403 from Niagara Falls to the Greater Toronto Area is like witnessing "The Lemmings to the Sea" suicide myth. The tow truck drivers wait by the roadside for the crash victims.

On June 15, Toronto police Const. Ronald Joseph was arrested and charged in relation to the theft of one of the radios.

Joseph, who is currently suspended with pay, owned two tow trucks and a car rental agency.

Police allege Joseph received kickbacks from a network of tow truck drivers for the provision of stolen police radios, and got referrals to his car rental agency from people involved in collisions.

Police were always aware of Joseph’s car rental agency but did not know he owned two tow trucks. ......https://www.cp24.com/news/toronto-cop-deeply-involved-in-tow-truck-corruption-ring-police-1.4994559
« Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 1926 UTC by Traveling Wave »
Radio :TS480 with RTL-SDR pan-adapter, HDSDR software, Omni-Rig Control, Zenith T/O R600,T600
Antenna: 40m dipole, 20-17-15 meter fan dipole. One of N. Tesla's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production.
Knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules. The fate of all mankind I see is in the hands of fools - from Epitaph by King Crimson
eQSL appreciated KC2ZYL@gmail.com

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
I have not traveled that stretch of highway in ages, but in the late 80s and early 90s I made quite a few trips from Buffalo to Hamilton for field service work. I used to find it amusing (well, and useful) how the radio station traffic reports would sometimes mention the locations of radar speed traps, something I do not think I have ever heard here in the US.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
See, if dispatch was in the clear (as it should be) this kind of racketeering wouldn't exist.

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me