We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Antenna projects that were not successful  (Read 1389 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Antenna projects that were not successful
« on: June 27, 2020, 1549 UTC »
We all like to post our antenna success stories. How about the failures? Or at least what didn't work out as well as you hoped. I'll start.

The antenna in question is a giant MW loop, some details (at least on the initial build) here: https://www.hfunderground.com/board/index.php/topic,36639.0.html

It worked, but I never really used it much. Last year I got the the idea to try remotely tuning it with a varactor diode, and to change the wiring to coax cable. The plan was to use the shield of the coax as the conductor, as it was relatively large in diameter, so theoretically good for high Q.

Well, it didn't really work so well. I think in reality the resistance of the coax shield is not very low, for starters. It was resonant, but performance was nothing to write home about.

I still have the PVC frame, and may resurrect it (again) in some form.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline IQ_imbalance

• Central MD
    • View Profile
Re: Antenna projects that were not successful
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2020, 1626 UTC »
Well, my first attempt at a VHF/UHF diplexer didn’t turn out too well.  The calculations and simulation was for a crossover freq of 500 MHz.  As you can see, that didn’t happen!  I think the inductors I wound were the issue, so will give it another shot.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 1657 UTC by IQ_imbalance »
LOG/NE-SW unterminated BOG/DJ-130/800Mhz Yagi
AFEDRI SDR-Net ICF-SC1 SDS-200 various RTL-SDR
Central MD

Offline Brian

• Ireland
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2020, 2036 UTC »
Decided to "upgrade" my MW transmission aerial from the inverted L that I was using to a short vertical.
Plan was to be about 65 feet tall using aluminum poles of different diameters that slot into each other, like a massive telescopic aerial, sitting on insulators.
Couldn't get it above about 50 feet high though so that would have to do. The 3 top stay wires were acting as loading.
Managed to match it to 50 ohms and switched on the 1KW TX. SWR was perfect........for a  few seconds and then rapidly rose to beyond an acceptable level.
Water had got in to where the pole was sitting on the base insulator and the RF was literally boiling the water. No problem. Quick redesign and that was fixed.
A few weeks later I noticed that the tension of the top wires had altered slightly so the uppermost section was bending slightly to one side.
No problem, I'll sort it out in due course. Famous last words!
High winds took out the top 20 feet.  It remaining 30 feet is now used to hang an inverted V HF antenna and the MW TX is back on the inv L. 

Offline N0TLD

• somewhere in the Ozarks
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2020, 0940 UTC »
Oh yes, there have been failures. :)

My failures have tended to be more mechanical than electronic -- though I am decidedly not a genius in mechanics or electronics --  and while I have no especially spectacular or amusing tales of failure, I can certainly sympathize with the feeling of hearing trombones when the material you thought would work suddenly doesn't (an outdoor MW loop frame suddenly goes flying in a minor breeze off the deck and into the neighbor's lawn 40 yards off), or when the clever hook-up suddenly lets out the magic smoke (who knew those electrolytic caps would be THAT picky about polarity? Not young me!)... and etc., and etc..

Still, any experiment that teaches one how to do -- or how NOT to do -- a given thing is successful enough in my book, and worth the effort... juuuuuust as long as you don't kill yourself (or a neighbor) while you're learning!

Mike
N0TLD
Kenwood TS940s/at; Kenwood TS450s/at; modified Icom R75; modified Sony ICF2010; Panasonic RF2200, RF2600, RF2800, RF2900; Zenith Trans-Oceanic R-7000-2; numerous other vintage multi band receivers; Silvertone 4565, Grundig 2440U, Hallicrafters S38 and numerous other vintage tube radios; numerous homebrew crystal sets; numerous homebrew long/randomwires and loops including a 290' Loop On Ground with a homebrew 9:1 transformer; Par EF/SWL sloper; Wellbrook ALA330 and ALA1530LNP loops; 5/8 ground plane vertical.

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2020, 1907 UTC »
For me??? I had to learn the hard, and fairly expensive, way that high gain GND-Plane antennas that kicked-ass in fairly flat terrain just did not work at all in hilly terrain and deep in a valley. Co-linear antennas for VHF / UHF are pretty much useless where I live today. Even a 5/8-Wave GND-Plane is too high gain for here. 1/4-Wave, maybe even 1/2-Wave, and that less than Unity Gain Discone, seem to work best here. Live, learn, develop buyer's remorse.
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.