We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: FM broadcast SCA audio from SDR software?  (Read 1885 times)

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
FM broadcast SCA audio from SDR software?
« on: June 27, 2020, 1909 UTC »
Ya know... I've been reminded of a kit that ya add to the IF of an FM broadcast RX to decode the SCA audio. I've thought for years of doing this, but in our ever encroaching digital age, I'm wondering if any major FM stations from major metro areas are doing it anymore. But, if any still are, can SDR software decode that? Am I wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy to late to even ask this?
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: FM broadcast SCA audio from SDR software?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2020, 0036 UTC »
...I'm wondering if any major FM stations from major metro areas are doing it anymore.

https://youtu.be/fdCkFrde4jQ

When I started in broadcast engineering, some of the local public stations did "books for the blind" using SCA equipment installed at the transmitter sites.

+-RH
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 0043 UTC by redhat »
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2020, 1759 UTC »
Ya know, with SCA MPX'ing around for decades, how come no one seemed to have the foresight to have those MPX'ed channels to broadcast various news, talk, NOAA WX, other MX formats, or even paid programming, to the SCA service, but to only have an incredibly myopic use of this service? The idea of extra channels, as with HD Radio today, could have been way more utilized years ago.   
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2020, 1846 UTC »
Primarily because receivers were not widely available and adding subcarriers does cause degradation to the host stations program audio, as well as loudness loss.  SCA injection needed to run around 20%, and this meant the host stations program audio would have to be reduced by that amount to keep the peaks under 100%.  The commission later added an exception stating that for every percent of subcarrier injection, the peak modulation could be increased by 0.5%.  This means if you are running 20% injection of SCA (or RDS interestingly) your new peak ceiling is 110%.

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2020, 1917 UTC »
I used to have several local FM stations transmitting SCA, but it had been several years since I checked, so I just did. I did not find any, except for 107.7 which is transmitting an unmodulated SCA carrier at 67 kHz.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline RobRich

• DX Legend
  • Tampa, FL USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2020, 2202 UTC »
AFAIK, there were some dedicated SCA broadcasters in South Florida years ago. Seems I remember Metrosonix being mentioned for modified portables.

http://www.metrosonix.com/

Looks like Metrosonix still offers some models. Around $40 to $90 from a quick skim of stock. o.0
« Last Edit: August 15, 2020, 0011 UTC by RobRich »
Tampa, FL USA | US Map Grid EL88
Airspy HF+ Discovery | KiwiSDR 2 | 2x Msi2500 Msi001 | 2x RTL-SDR V3 + NE602 | 2x RTL-SDR V4
148' Loop-on-Ground | 31' Vertical | 18' End-Fed Vertical | 9' NCPL | PA0NHC MiniWhip