We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Hallicrafters HT-40 transmitter 80-10m FS  (Read 3565 times)

Offline Andrew Yoder

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
    • Hobby Broadcasting Blog
    • Email
Hallicrafters HT-40 transmitter 80-10m FS
« on: April 18, 2012, 2355 UTC »
I posted this ad on the FRN & FRC for sale areas, but I'm not sure if anyone is checking them on a regular basis. My apologies if this is the wrong place to post a classified ad. I'll delete it if everyone would rather it be removed. Otherwise, just contact me with questions, etc.

---------------------------------------------------
1960s Hallicrafters HT-40 transmitter $40 + shipping. This is one of a few different crystal-controlled AM/CW novice transmitters from the ‘60s that pirates collectively called “shoebox transmitters” in the ‘80s & early ‘90s.

Condition: Missing the case & original knobs have been replaced. How could someone lose the case? I ran it into a dummy load and it fires up fine. Not sure exactly how much power it’s putting out, but I think it was about 30-40 watts peak on 43m & maybe about 10-20 watts on 15m (21 MHz)

The audio to this transmitter is input through an obsolete microphone connector on the back. I alligator-clipped an audio cable to the transmitter (bypassing the connector) and played music. The modulation sounded OK…screen modulation, restricted for voice use, and using the carrier-controlled scheme.

Application: I could see someone really enjoying using this as either a first transmitter or for use on the higher-frequency bands. It’s a great price for all of the frequencies in which this could be used. Because it’s missing the case, it’s not exactly a good transmitter to either let sit where anyone could touch it while it’s operating or for mobile operation. I could imagine it being kept at someone’s cabin or powered shed…it uses 110 VAC, but only draws about 90 watts in, so it could be run on a battery & most inverters as well.

Reliability: Didn’t hear any hum from the electrolytic caps, so my thought is that they’ll last for years. But if you want to be safe, replace them. I didn’t test the tubes, but the crystal oscillated, audio sounded decent, and the power output seemed pretty good, so I didn’t feel like there was a reason to test them.

Media: Photos available upon request. I might be able to do a video, too. Still experimenting with that…

Shipping/packing: I’m planning to double box it. These don’t weigh much for “boat anchors,” I’ve seen them listed at about 19 lbs. online, apparently mostly the power & modulation transformers.

I'll include a copy of the manual & a couple of FT-243 crystals
Please QSL to: POB 109, BRS, PA 17214
Hobby Broadcasting Blog: http://hobbybroadcasting.blogspot.com/
Drake R8, AOR AR-7030, R-390A, R-388, SX-28A, Philco 44 + some others    Horizontal loops & 1/2-wave inverted V

Offline zackers

• View Profile
Re: Hallicrafters HT-40 transmitter 80-10m FS
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 2007 UTC »
I still have one of those! I haven't fired it up in many years but it's still intact. I'm hanging onto it for now. I remember when I was a Novice we were limited to 75 watts DC INPUT, which meant this rig put out 40 watts at most. It did amazingly well for me; I used it for a few years after upgrading to General class and probably worked 40 countries with it on CW.
East Central Illinois
TS-850S, 40 meter full-wave loop, various dipoles