We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Pizza without the crust  (Read 2331 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Pizza without the crust
« on: July 07, 2020, 1356 UTC »
Dinner the other night: Pizza without the crust. Mozzarella, Cheddar, Munster, and Colby Jack cheese, pepperoni, mushrooms, and a little pizza sauce. I shred my own block cheese since pre-shredded often has added corn starch to reduce sticking. 325F convection for about 40 min.

Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline fpeconsultant

• DX Legend
  • I miss "Up Against the Wall Radio"...
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Pizza without the crust
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2020, 2253 UTC »
Looks great.  Damn, I love pepperoni!
FPE
Near Chicago, IL USA.  Drake R8, Ten-Tec RX340, JRC NRD545, Watkins Johnson HF-1000, Wellbrook loop at 28', 43m inverted vee.  Please QSL to fpeconsultant@aol.com thanks.

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2020, 2304 UTC »
Looks great.  Damn, I love pepperoni!
FPE

Bridgeford pepperoni, one of my favorite!

That reminds me, Walmart (maybe other stores) sell a "Mama Mary's" pepperoni which is exactly the same as Bridgeford. Tastes the same, even made at the same plant per the USDA plant number. But it comes in a 6 ounce package for the same price as the 5 ounce package of Bridgeford.

Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline fpeconsultant

• DX Legend
  • I miss "Up Against the Wall Radio"...
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2020, 2111 UTC »
Thx for the heads up!
FPE
Near Chicago, IL USA.  Drake R8, Ten-Tec RX340, JRC NRD545, Watkins Johnson HF-1000, Wellbrook loop at 28', 43m inverted vee.  Please QSL to fpeconsultant@aol.com thanks.

Fansome

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2020, 0452 UTC »
I made my own pepperoni a number of years ago.. It came out tasting great, but it didn't have the "right" texture. I'll have to see if I can find the recipe.

Fansome

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2020, 1857 UTC »
https://www.mortonsalt.com/article/meat-curing-pepperoni/

Tenderquick is sort of an "instant" cure: finely powdered salt, sodium nitrite, and seasonings. It can be a bit hard to find, but is available online if need be. I've made bacon, corned beef, pepperoni, and other cured meats with it, with pretty good success

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2020, 1918 UTC »
https://www.mortonsalt.com/article/meat-curing-pepperoni/

Tenderquick is sort of an "instant" cure: finely powdered salt, sodium nitrite, and seasonings. It can be a bit hard to find, but is available online if need be. I've made bacon, corned beef, pepperoni, and other cured meats with it, with pretty good success

How does this differ from Prague Powder #1 ?
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD

Fansome

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2020, 1936 UTC »
It's much, much less concentrated with regards to sodium nitrite. From Wikipedia:

"Morton's Tenderquick is the brand name of another formulation of sodium nitrite, with salt and sugars added. It is not the same concentration as either "Prague powder #1 or #2". Since certainty about the amount of nitrite present in a recipe is essential for safety, one cannot take a recipe designed for Prague powder and simply substitute like amounts of such products as Morton's Tenderquick. To do so would invite the risk of botulism poisoning. Similarly, one cannot just substitute Prague powder #1 in place of Morton's Tenderquick. For any such substitutions, one must calculate the exact amount of nitrite required and make the proper adjustments."

The website has more info. I view it as more of a seasoning, to give the flavor and color of curing to fresh meat. It's very finely powdered, so it soaks in quickly. You can "cure" a pork chop in just a few hours. It took me some experimentation to learn how to use it without oversalting the meat. It's not meant to be relied upon to prevent botulism.

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2020, 2024 UTC »
Interesting stuff. Looks like something I could use the next time I make low carb Lebanon Bologna.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground T-Shirt
by MitchellTimeDesigns