We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: ESE, Earth-Sun-Earth bounce? Possible? Maybe....  (Read 1922 times)

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
ESE, Earth-Sun-Earth bounce? Possible? Maybe....
« on: July 18, 2020, 1923 UTC »
Ya know... If we have EME, (Earth-Moon-Earth.), bounce, could we possibly have Earth-Sun-Earth bounce? Possibly. I remember back in the 80's and 90's where ops would swear that they would hear their signal on a same FREQ that they've keyed up on 20min earlier. There was that subject with Art Bell on C2C AM over 20 years ago, where someone either called-in, or was the interviewed guest, where they talked about like a 20min delay signal coming back to them. Art then said, "That happened to me! I was on 15M, (21MHz), and about 20min later, I heard my voice key back to me from my last transmission!". Weird, but no one seemed to explore this subject after that. Now, doing the math, what's out in space that would take the time period of about 20min at the speed of light, about 10,000,000 meters per sec, to bounce an RF signal. Why not the Sun? You might argue, "That's too F'n far!", but consider just how much bigger of a reflector it could be than the Moon and Earth, or any of the planets in the known solar system. Could the Sun's atmosphere be attenuative? Maybe... But, just how reflective is the Sun's surface on various RF FREQ's? And, just where is the data that supports, or dispels, that? Passing though here... Ya think that this is a questions to pose to Dr. Tamitha Skov? She now has her amateur radio ticket.  http://www.spaceweatherwoman.com/   
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
Re: ESE, Earth-Sun-Earth bounce? Possible? Maybe....
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2020, 2048 UTC »
Yeah no it's not like the ability to record audio and play it back hasn't been around for ages now, or that anyone would ever dare to do that to bell.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline secretlab

• Northern Arizona
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2020, 2210 UTC »
It's an experiment that's almost certainly been done with high powered radar by now. There would be numerous applications if the sun or its magnetosphere turned out to be radio reflective. Even if that's so, the sun is an incredibly loud noise generator that would tend to drown out any reflections (just try watching your satellite dish during a solar outage). Calling Dr. Skov!
ICOM IC-7300, Chameleon EMCOMMII 60' inverted L, HF+ Discovery, MFJ-1886 rotatable RX loop. Portable: Xiegu X6100, mcHF, Chameleon CHA-TDL delta loop, wires.

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2020, 0317 UTC »
WHOA!!!! Ask, and you shall receive. THANKS!!!! Interesting, but did Stanford UNI ever follow up on that? That would be neat to do such a study with today's tech.
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline secretlab

• Northern Arizona
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2020, 0158 UTC »
That's an interesting paper, thanks Dr. Smolinski! If they were receiving echoes at 25 dB or so below the noise floor (if I read correctly), efficient modes like WSPR might work. If you had sufficient power and/or antenna gain. :-)
ICOM IC-7300, Chameleon EMCOMMII 60' inverted L, HF+ Discovery, MFJ-1886 rotatable RX loop. Portable: Xiegu X6100, mcHF, Chameleon CHA-TDL delta loop, wires.

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
Re: ESE, Earth-Sun-Earth bounce? Possible? Maybe???
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2020, 2107 UTC »
Huh... Well, having a back & forth e-mailing with Boomer answered my question of why RF Sun Bounce wasn't followed up after 1959. Satellite tech came into play. That said, political volatility today puts our birds into jeopardy. The SDI Research from the 1980's Reagan Administration certainly didn't end with the 80's, but other countries have followed suite, and satellite attacking could be happening right now, but never reported. Except, through alternative media. The Chinese, Russians, and don't count out Iran and North Korea, doing just that to our birds up there. So, if we do find that our birds are getting shot up, and thus we loose, GPS, broadcast links, and everyday COMM's, then Sun Bounce maybe an interesting alternative to consider again.

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2020, 2223 UTC »
As long as you don't mind waiting 16 minutes or so  :) 
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree