We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: 11m opening  (Read 1659 times)

Matt285

11m opening
« on: July 18, 2020, 2342 UTC »
I probably missed the better part of conditions, but i'm receiving a lot of stations. Particularly out of Louisiana.

Offline Polar Bear

• View Profile
Re: 11m opening
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2020, 1310 UTC »
In the USA, in the lower latitudes, it is not uncommon for 11 meters to open up to somewhere on an almost daily basis.  During certain parts of the year, Trans Equatorial Propagation exists between north america and south america of equal latitudes.

The problem is skip or bounce..  The skip zone seems to land in the same place most of the time when there isn't true band openings.

Mississippi, Louisiana, Florida, Georgia, Texas seems to have a skip zone somewhere around Pennsylvania, Ohio, West Virginia, Maryland.  true band openings would be from one end of the country to the other and outside the north / south america's.

2011 it was not uncommon to operate 25w SSB into Russia, Germany, Spain, Great Britain, everywhere in the European Union with nothing more then a Solorcon A99 30' off the ground from Pennsylvania..

Matt285

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2020, 1328 UTC »
Yes. I remember those great openings. For me it was between 98 and 03. I had a base station setup with an HR2510 to a Maco 5/8 vertical running about 100 watts and an RCI-2950 with a 250 watt amp in my truck with a modified 102'' whip. Good times. I haven't heard of openings into Europe,Africa,Australia for many years. I know there are openings through out the year regardless of band conditions. From Florida I always seem to have a duct into Ohio, New York and Eastern Canada or out west to Texas,Oklahoma,Arkansas. I rarely work 10 meters much anymore though. I'm holding out for the next big cycle. I tend to stick with 20/30 and 40 meters for the most part with a little 80m activity in the winter.

Matt285

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2020, 1333 UTC »
Correction- I didn't mean to say I 'Always' have a duct into those states. I meant when there is a band opening those seem to be the common places, among others of course.

Offline Polar Bear

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2020, 1501 UTC »
That is because those states has a high population of people with loose screws and a high day time temperature that forces most of them indoors during the summer months.

Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, Texas - were the people that forced me to turn my cb radio off in the 1980's because I couldn't stand to listen to their garbage cb'r talk.

Matt285

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2020, 1723 UTC »
I can honestly say I've heard idiots in all 50 states. Too bad there's not a WAS, DXCC type of award for that.

Offline chanito

• S.Texas
  • RF Exposeur
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2020, 2127 UTC »
I can honestly say I've heard idiots in all 50 states. Too bad there's not a WAS, DXCC type of award for that.

I like it. "Worked All Idiots" award.
PCR-1000, PCR-1500, RSP1A, RSP1, VR-120D, HDT-1, Accurian HD, Royal 3000
Caras HF-315, Belar LP-1A, SuperAntenna MP-1, RatShack 20-043 discone, MLA-30, 100' wire

Offline Polar Bear

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2020, 1715 UTC »
No to hyjack the thread, but I am hearing people on 10 meters telling other people that they are slightly off frequency..  (Only 10 meters is not channelized! )..  So its not only 11 meters that attracts the goofballs, 10 meters with a license is no better..

Only these days, other then band openings, I'm not hearing much of anything on 11 meters anymore..

The cell phone seems to have killed it, right along side amateur radio.

Matt285

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2020, 1724 UTC »
They're are probably telling people running RCI 2950's , HR2510's and various Mirage type rigs that their off frequency. This is just my guess.