We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Amateur satellite operation  (Read 1182 times)

Matt285

Amateur satellite operation
« on: July 19, 2020, 1228 UTC »
So has mentioned in my other post about filters,I have a Yaesu FT-818 on it's way. I really just wanted another 817, but they are still selling for over 500.00 on the used market and a new 818 can be had for $569.00. Part of my decision of choosing the 818 is to be able to do portable satellite operation with either an Arrow or Elk yagi. What have your experiences been working satellites whether they were FM or SSB? I having been doing some research on Amsat to see which birds are active and learning to look up pass times based on my grid square. Let me know what you think.

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
Re: Amateur satellite operation
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2020, 2115 UTC »
I did crossband FM UHF / VHF Sat contesting back in Summer 2006 ARRL Field Day with the Ontario County ARES Group. We used my then Alinco DR-620T to two separate beams, (One for UHF uplink, the other for VHF downlink.), and gained like 10 points that way. I've also done the UHF Mir Space Station Repeater from home. I've heard several STS calls on 145.550MHz FM and 145.800MHz, but couldn't beat the big-guns. I hear ISS on 145.800MHz on the scanner. I've yet to do SSB with crosslink via satellite, albeit I have the perfect rig to do so with a TS-2000X. I hope to try.
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Matt285

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2020, 1933 UTC »
Thanks for the feedback. I ordered the Elk log periodic since it had good reviews and did not need a duplexer. I'm looking forward to trying it out. I have noticed a lot of popular satellites that were operational for many years have met the end of their life in the last year or two. Trying to do some research now to see the best ones to start off with, both FM and SSB,

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2020, 1954 UTC »
Well, with a little over 100W PEP, +20dB preamp, and a tracking 2M boomer yagi, you can do the ultimate satellite, EME, and bounce yourself on the Moon. We certainly hope that won't end its life cycle too soon.
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

HFUnderground Mug
HFUnderground Mug
by MitchellTimeDesigns