We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: As if, AM Radio can't sound bad enough, then there's this!  (Read 1837 times)

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
Ever listen to a station and wonder why it sounds like their audio is going through a vacuum cleaner hose? This maybe it,  https://www.radioinsights.com/2016/04/nielsen-ppm-making-radio-unlistenable.html     I asked Boomer if he heard 1100WTAM sound like this, and he, and others, certainly have. WTF???
« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 1848 UTC by ThaDood »
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: As if, AM Radio can't sound bad enough, then there's this!
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2020, 0029 UTC »
Yup, you can hear it plainly on FM's too.  I described it as broadcasting from a broom closet, or talking through a paper towel tube.  Its one of the principle reasons I stopped listening to major market stations.  Often the streams are encoded as well.

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline Kingbear Radio

• Universe
  • Kingbear Radio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2020, 0318 UTC »
I thought that sound was from broadcasting during Covid, since everyone is using Skype or Zoom, or what Cisco offers.

I'll be damned, that's what it was all the time. People should turn their radios off in protest.
K-Bear Radio

Offline Kage

• US
  • Modulating Madness
    • View Profile
    • The Free Radio Forum
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2020, 0951 UTC »
Wow now I know what that sound is after hearing the audio example in the link.
Lots of nights listening to Clyde Lewis and Coast to Coast AM and hearing that sound with the regular audio and I thought it was caused by a weird audio phasing issue, like maybe they were mixing left+right stereo together and somehow cancelling the audio material in some odd way since I only ever heard it at specific program points like right after the C2C AM "crash" thunder sound, but turns out I was wrong.
I have only ever heard it on nighttime programming on the major 50kw AM BC stations.
I'm not saying aliens are in the radio, but aliens definitely are in the radio.
The Free Radio Forum

Offline John Poet

• Lansing, Michigan, USA
  • I survived the Mad Lagomurph
    • View Profile
    • Free Radio Cafe forums
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2020, 2339 UTC »
Can't say as I've ever heard this... but I don't understand what it is supposed to do...

John Poet

"A treasonous voice of dissent"

The Crystal Ship Shortwave
Free Radio Cafe Forums

Offline Kingbear Radio

• Universe
  • Kingbear Radio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2020, 0758 UTC »
I've heard that frying noise at night on AM as well, and The Dood has it right, like talking through a section of vacuum cleaner hose, or I know, the Snuffleuphagus when he talks.

Sports is another place, real strong on the crowd, it sounds like a wall of that sound!

The thing is, how do we get something done about it?

K-Bear
K-Bear Radio