We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Would this dual antenna design work?  (Read 1382 times)

Offline OgreVorbis

• View Profile
    • DosaidSoft
    • Email
Would this dual antenna design work?
« on: August 04, 2020, 1441 UTC »
So at some point in the not too distant future, I'm going to purchase a new property with more space. I want to put up an antenna system with two antennas. One for shortwave and one for mediumwave (both for TXing and RXing). I want the minimum number of towers/supports for cost and size. The shortwave will be an inverted V and the mediumwave, inverted L. I want to insulate the base of the tower and drive it for mediumwave and for shortwave, I want to attach an inverted V to the top of the driven tower. Will this work or do I need another tower to support the V so I don't get interference or other problems? I won't TX on both at the same time if that helps.

Maybe you have a better idea?

(Note that the inverted V is not parallel with the L; it is perpendicular. It just looks like that cause I can't draw 3D.)
Here is a diagram:
Radio and Programming Blog: http://dosaidsoft.com/wp/

Offline Brian

• Ireland
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Would this dual antenna design work?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2020, 1814 UTC »
That will be fine on SW but on MW (Txing), the SW feedline running close to the tower may cause an issue with tuning.

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
Re: Would this dual antenna design work?
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2020, 1831 UTC »
That pretty much worked for me back in 2007. The difference there was that I only used the tower itself for 160M, 75-80M, 60M, and 40M. I did not make an Inverted "L" though, and by then, my 40M dipole ripped down, so doing a home-brew Tower Shunt feed was cheap and very attractive. My tower was only a 50ft one. On RX it was great on MW to about 10Mhz. However, on TX, I only have four 100ft GND Radials spread out, so a 100W PEP SSB signal was usable, I was told by several 160M ops that, "We hear you, but you are weak." The MFJ-941D tuner tuned up everything from 160M to 10M. It was, however, one of the best MW RX antennas that I ever had. I could RX the three main NYC stations, (660, 770, and 880kHz.), with an S9 in the middle of the day from over 300 miles away and very little QRM / QRN! It also did well upon RX'ing 6925kHz pirates. At that time, the rig was a Yaesu FT-857D, so not that great of an RX capable transceiver. (In my view, anyway.) So, all that I can say, from my Tower Shunt experience, is to try it. Especially RX'ing from LF to 6M. You'll hopefully get a pleasant surprise. On TX??? You may want to use like 20 GND radials, so I've been advised. Good luck!!!!
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.