We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: ICOM ICR-75 vs. TECSUN S-2000  (Read 12621 times)

Offline jta

• View Profile
Re: ICOM ICR-75 vs. TECSUN S-2000
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2020, 1754 UTC »
As a long-time R-75 user, I agree that the internal speaker isn't that great - but it's intended for utilities (primarily sideband) and voice. I used an outboard Heathkit mono amplifier fed from the Record jack into an external speaker and it was quite good.

The dual PBT certainly does work, although only one of them works in AM mode. The filters also work quite well - but you have to tell the CPU that you've installed them by going into the menu and selecting each one. As Chris said, ya gotta RTFM!

The noise is generated by the power wart, NOT the receiver! I installed .01uF disc capacitors across the diodes in the power wart, which reduced the noise. To eliminate it completely, run from a external DC supply.

I purchased the R-75 somewhere around 20 years ago and only sold it after I picked up an Icom 756Pro3 (with no xmit) as a high-end rcvr. The R-75 is a flexible unit that you can customize to *your* specific interests, and there are a few easy modifications to improve it even more.

In my opinion: If you can find one at a good price in the used market it's still a good buy.

Offline alpard

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2020, 1854 UTC »
Great info. Thanks.

R75 is 2 - 3 times more expensive radio, so it wasn't to be comparable or competition thread.  But if one is to upgrade from portable HF radio such as PL-660 PL-680 or D-808, which one would be better one to go for, maybe that was the point.

It all depends on what kind listening one does too, I thought. I mean if you are mostly listening to strong stations in your continent, then any portable radio up to 20 - 50 box, and built in whip antenna will do the job and more. 

It only becomes an issue if one is trying to copy a station at the other side of Earth, say I am in Europe, and trying to copy stations in South America or Far East or South Pacific running only 1 - 10kW output, or if you are hunting for new countries on your SWL BCL DXing, then yes, those cheap portables won't cut the cake.  One must look for something more capable receiver with good DX antenna.

But for adjacent strong station bleed over, no inbuilt functions of radios worked for me. I used it with my old R71E, and now IC-751A.  They sort of work, but then immediately you put on these PBT, NOTCH or narrow filter, the audio degrades - it becomes not very intelligible or unpleasant to listen to.

The only way I could see to combat with the bleeding over station next to your signal is to use directional antenna such as Mag Loop, and rotate around for nulling the unwanted signal.

I still think S2000 is good value for money receiver for general SWL users with also DXing in mind.  I have seen it performs well on DXing on youtube. As long as you connect a good DX antenna, most radio will start dance the way you want to, I am sure :)

And maybe all those functions and gadgets are not really needed, unless they work absolutely properly and efficiently?

No doubt, if R75 and S2000 were same price, then yeah, it would be mad to go for S2000 just for the sheer spec and functionalities (even if they don't work 100%, sometimes they might, and come in handy) and all the rest of it,  but for half the price in used market, if one does not need all the gadgets loaded into R75? Then yeah, the whole thing becomes more multi dimensional to think about, I would say.

If you could pick up a S2000 for a half half price of R75 in used market in good working and cosmetic condition, and it will be a good buy, and even better buy too deepening on what your SWL DXing requires, and maybe put the money you saved into a better DX antenna with directivity, which I am thinking of doing. But I am also after a good SDR, and when I get more funds, I am planning to get a high end RX such as IC8600 or AOR 5001DX.

PS: I mean seriously, if you just lashed out 500 odd box for a comms radio, and still you must go and get external speaker extra, so that you will not fall sleep while listening to it, or get sick of SWL, and throw it out the window and take up gardening as your main hobby, or must order a new linear PSU for the radio so that the radio will not over heat and fry itself, then in my book, there is something wrong with the product, unless it can pull and hear whatever signals I want to hear in the band.

And RTFM? = If one has been doing this Radio hobby for over 20 - 30 years, and still must read manuals for every radio device he buys from front to back, wouldn't it be something wrong there too?  I mean there might be a thing or two, you might not know how to work it because they managed to hide the functions under the layers and layers of sub menus, but in general, you know what the box is supposed to be doing. RTFM is for some block who just bought or a given a shortwave radio for the first time in his life, and trying find what it is for. :D
« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 1928 UTC by alpard »
ICOM R71E, Lowe HF-225, YAESU FRG100, TECSUN PL-330, PL-320, XHDATA D-109, D-808, MSi001 SDR, AOR AR3030, Sangean ATS803, ATS-909X, Antenna= Random Wire+ATU, Active Miniwhip

https://twitter.com/RadioPax88
https://www.youtube.com/@RadioPax88/videos

Offline East Troy Don

• DX Legend
  • "If you can't convince them, confuse them" Truman
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2020, 1644 UTC »
I've had the R75 I bought on EBAY over a year ago and my overall assessment is that, generally, its overrated.   Its noisy, not as sensitive as many other receivers from that time frame and somewhat cumbersome controls (particularly the ICOM RF/SQ  hybrid feature is a classic example of over-engineering).  The stock audio was so abysmal that  I had to improve the fidelity by patching the R75 audio output thru the Grundig 750 speaker which helped immeasurably (thanks and a tip of the hat to Pinto Vortando). 
IMHO, save your money on the R75 - there are plenty of other options out there that perform considerably better. 
Primary: Yaesu FRG-7700  Secondary: ICOM R75 Tertiary: Grundig  750. Tecsun PL-990X, Tecsun PL-880 . Malahit DSP SDR V3,  Alpha Delta  SWL Sloper antenna. : Also, 1940 Mantola am/sw tube. CountyComm GP-5/SSB hand held, Tecsun PL-380 ,et al.  QTH: EAST TROY WI  USA.  Sea Level: + 320 meters .  75 miles (but not far enough) NNW of Chicago

Offline alpard

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2020, 1832 UTC »
Thank you for your notes and advice on the radios.

Yes, maybe R75 is not such a bad radio, but from Youtube reviews and demos, it didn't sound nice received audio.
And after reading the negative and critical reviews on R75, I could see what they meant.

I went and picked up a used S2000, and it is working great.
It is working far better than PL660 or any other portable radios I have tried.

For copying the weak and difficult signals, the S2000 sound more stable and clear than my PL660 or any other portables including the D-808.
And the S2000 has Antenna attenuation in 3 steps, plus RF gain control.  This makes huge difference in copying weak and difficult signals especially when the shack is RFI prone, or the band is noisy.  I can attenuate the amount of the signal coming in the antenna by the antenna attenuation switch, and then set the RF gain control for the best reception. It really pulls the weak signals into more readable signals. And the best things was it was cheap, only 150 box used, and in good condition and all working fine.

Apart from that, I love the way the substantial main tuning control which tunes so smoothly and quickly, plus the direct freq. entry key pad. Easy memory management. And looks so cool on the desk. I am glad I got it. PBT and Notch filters, I mean if they work well, like I said before, they would be great. But all my previous radios with the functions, it didn't.  The PBT and NOTCH and narrow filters on all my previous radios had been hardly used, because they kinda semi worked or worked but made the received audio muffled into intolerable state. :(

I will buy another radio in the future, if I know these functions work really well effectively making the weak and difficult signals into more readable signals.  But if they are not very effective, and not going to be used, then I would rather not have them.

Tnx & 73s :)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2020, 1921 UTC by alpard »
ICOM R71E, Lowe HF-225, YAESU FRG100, TECSUN PL-330, PL-320, XHDATA D-109, D-808, MSi001 SDR, AOR AR3030, Sangean ATS803, ATS-909X, Antenna= Random Wire+ATU, Active Miniwhip

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2020, 0014 UTC »
For sound quality, here's an idea. Do you have friend that have either the S-2000, or the IC-R75, or even better, both? Ask if you can bring your best headphones, and a favorite speaker, over to their QTH for a try-out. While you are there, ask about what outdoor antennas they use and their tough catches that they try and get.
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline alpard

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2020, 1239 UTC »
No, no one has R75 here from my pals.

I must admit that I am not too happy with the sound quality of the S2000 either. It is not a perfect radio either. I mean for 150 box a used second hand radio, it is OK. But it is a great improvement from my other radios such as D-808, PL-660 and PL-680, because this S2000 sounds and works far far better than them.

I noticed that when the received signals are weak, it sounds dull too. It is difficult to understand the incoming speech. When the signals is good, the sound quality is very good. I am not sure if it has to do with DSP receivers or something else. But I can live with it.

I mean when the signals are so weak, I just know it is there, no readability and no intelligibility. I know either male or female voice or music playing, but it is a rare DX, then I am thankful the signal is detected on the freq. and that is all I can ask for.

My ICOM IC-751A sounds great on AM with normal setting, but once the narrow filter is on, it becomes unreadable, even with the good signal reception.  With the Notch and PBT which only works with the narrow filter on? - it doesn't help anything.

The S2000 smooth main tuning dial and Ant. attenuation with RF gain just for these, it was well worth upgrading from all the portables I have.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 1243 UTC by alpard »

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
Re: ICOM ICR-75 vs. TECSUN S-2000. Radio Jay's Review on the S-2000.
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2020, 1714 UTC »
Huh... Radio Jay Allen covers the Tecsun S-2000,     https://radiojayallen.com/grundig-satellit-750tecsun-s-2000-another-look/
His reports and descriptions are quite layman's terms, (Which can be good and bad. Good for 95% of the populous, but bad for us that want tech specs.), but it is a look at another opinion on that portable.
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline alpard

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2020, 0837 UTC »
Still a very favourable review on S2000.  I feel that his review is accurate and practical for beginner SWLs.

Offline chanito

• S.Texas
  • RF Exposeur
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2020, 1655 UTC »
Apples and oranges. The R75 is a low end but mil spec communications receiver, while the S2000 is a consumer portable built into a large case.
PCR-1000, PCR-1500, RSP1A, RSP1, VR-120D, HDT-1, Accurian HD, Royal 3000
Caras HF-315, Belar LP-1A, SuperAntenna MP-1, RatShack 20-043 discone, MLA-30, 100' wire

Offline alpard

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2020, 1006 UTC »
Apples and oranges. The R75 is a low end but mil spec communications receiver, while the S2000 is a consumer portable built into a large case.

All the famous and popular HF radio makers such as SONY, Panasonic, Toshiba, Sharp, Sanyo ... blah  blah, their 99% of HF radios were for domestic use and models. But yet people love them. All of their HF radios are vintage 20 - 40 years old.  Many people collect them and keep using them even now.

You don't need mil spec. radios to be able to enjoy DX, do you? :D  And you are NOT in the military or war. Why would you have mil spec radios? :D

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2020, 1449 UTC »

All the famous and popular HF radio makers such as SONY, Panasonic, Toshiba, Sharp, Sanyo ... blah  blah, their 99% of HF radios were for domestic use and models. But yet people love them. All of their HF radios are vintage 20 - 40 years old.  Many people collect them and keep using them even now.

You don't need mil spec. radios to be able to enjoy DX, do you? :D  And you are NOT in the military or war. Why would you have mil spec radios? :D

It depends what your goals are. If you just want to listen to high power SWBC stations (of which there are sadly fewer and fewer of each year) then yes, a simple portable radio is usually adequate. If you're hunting for tough DX catches, or are interested in what is outside of the SWBC bands, then you probably want a more capable receiver.

As far as why do some people collect and use vintage radios, it's more about nostalgia than performance. People get emotional satisfaction from using stuff from their childhood or early adult years. It's the same reason some people collect/restore/use old computers from the 70s and 80s. They're fun to use, but certainly not "better" (by any reasonable metric, anyway) than modern computers.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline alpard

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2020, 1639 UTC »

It depends what your goals are. If you just want to listen to high power SWBC stations (of which there are sadly fewer and fewer of each year) then yes, a simple portable radio is usually adequate. If you're hunting for tough DX catches, or are interested in what is outside of the SWBC bands, then you probably want a more capable receiver.

As far as why do some people collect and use vintage radios, it's more about nostalgia than performance. People get emotional satisfaction from using stuff from their childhood or early adult years. It's the same reason some people collect/restore/use old computers from the 70s and 80s. They're fun to use, but certainly not "better" (by any reasonable metric, anyway) than modern computers.

Yeah, I would agree with you.
But the point in this thread was whether S2000 was as good upgrade as R75 for DXing.
And I think it is.  I was able to hear a lot of interesting DX signals with the S2000 for well less than half the money of R75.

Was it worth upgrading from my portables? Yes, it was.
Would R75 have given twice more DX signals that S2000 couldn't hear with all its loaded gadgets and bells and whistles on the same antenna?
I suppose the answers have to come from the R75 owners, who are hunting for the rare and interesting new DX signals with the radio.

PS: Collecting vintage radios and etc. was mentioned because chanito was saying the S2000 is not a mill. spec radio, whereas R75 is.
Mil spec. radios from pre 1945 or 1950s Korean War are the real collectors radios :D The real military radios are not even allowed into my house anywhere near it by xyl. :)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 1651 UTC by alpard »

Offline RobRich

• DX Legend
  • Tampa, FL USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2020, 2141 UTC »
If you do not get into a serious SDR setup right away, I would still suggest acquiring even a basic RLT-SDR. The RTL-SDR Blog V3 probably is a good as any IMO. Around $25 shipped.

https://www.rtl-sdr.com/buy-rtl-sdr-dvb-t-dongles/
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0129EBDS2/

Also remember connector adapters if needed. The model I linked has a SMA female connector. You can get adapters to F female or whatever for like a couple of dollars shipped at eBay.

With the right antenna and a decent computer, you might be surprised by what you currently are or are not receiving.

The RTL-SDR also is a good gateway into VHF and UHF monitoring.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 2148 UTC by RobRich »
Tampa, FL USA | US Map Grid EL88
Airspy HF+ Discovery | KiwiSDR 2 | 2x Msi2500 Msi001 | 2x RTL-SDR V3 + NE602 | 2x RTL-SDR V4
148' Loop-on-Ground | 31' Vertical | 18' End-Fed Vertical | 9' NCPL | PA0NHC MiniWhip

Offline alpard

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2020, 2208 UTC »
I almost bought a SDR from Amazon this week, but one of the reviewer said that his one works OK on VHF and UHF, but on HF it has many birdies and cross modulation. When I read it, I felt  oh man, I know it and hate it, and didn't buy it.  It was 29 box, so not expensive, and I think they would keep improving the products and be really usable soon, but when I read the negative review, I stayed away from it again.

But I think it would be good if SDR works well on HF MW LW and VLF. But then if you want to listen on MW LW VLF, then you need a good quality LPF they said.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 2211 UTC by alpard »

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2020, 2310 UTC »
I almost bought a SDR from Amazon this week, but one of the reviewer said that his one works OK on VHF and UHF, but on HF it has many birdies and cross modulation. When I read it, I felt  oh man, I know it and hate it, and didn't buy it.  It was 29 box, so not expensive, and I think they would keep improving the products and be really usable soon, but when I read the negative review, I stayed away from it again.

But I think it would be good if SDR works well on HF MW LW and VLF. But then if you want to listen on MW LW VLF, then you need a good quality LPF they said.

It was most likely an RTL dongle, maybe with an upconverter, maybe just using one of the hacks to directly tune RF. Either way, not that usable for HF.  Several of us have mentioned some good SDR choices for HF previously in this long and winding thread.  :)
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground House Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns