We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Great Halloween Massacre of 1998  (Read 5824 times)

Fansome

Offline syfr

• View Profile
Re: Great Halloween Massacre of 1998
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2021, 1733 UTC »
I sure remember that event. "The Great Reset".
Kiwsdr x 2. TenTec Paragon/NRD535

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2022, 0100 UTC »

Offline Unca Billy

• 3 land; EPA
  • Mudhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2022, 0457 UTC »
Great Caesar's Ghost.!~!~!  Reminds me of 1992, or was it 1991?  Too old to remember exactly.  It was April.  First day of trout season.  Raining.  Got back home with my son and his award winning brown trout.  Now a wall hanger.  My XYL said that I had had a visitor, but he'd be back.  Sure he was.  John Rahtes, Field Engineer from the Philly office.  Showed him the station (turn tables, decks, compressor/limiter, etc).  Flipped on the rig at his request.  Yeah... 7415 lit up.  Got the "TALK".  He left. 

Later found out that I was not alone.  HOPE RADIO got the pinch, and two others (I think).  Radio Free OZ had been #4 "with a bullet" on an FCC press release.  Not sure about several others; probably all lumped into OZ.

Got a letter that they wanted $1k or it was gonna go to $10k.  I responded that the deal was $1k,... but nothing about 30 days.  Sure enuf... about a month later came a letter from the Feddy DA for the 3rd area.  I called.  We talked.  Told him about the $1k.  Told him about their specious claim of "interfering with health and safety frequencies".  Told him how we had to go QSY when VOA (Africa) came on with megawatts.  He started to whimper that it wasn't worth his time for $10k, let alone $1k.  So I shouted, "Then, FORGET IT.!~!~!"  [heh heh heh] 

Never heard from them again.  ;-))  AHhhhhh the mammaries.....
"Any (FCC) Commissioner who pays for his lunch is a fool."  p.35; Reluctant Regulators; Cole & Oettinger
e-QSL via howardlyon@aol.com

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2022, 0944 UTC »
LOL! Reminds me of "Uncle Charlie" coming after my Uncle and his CB buddies in the early 70's. God forbid the DX-60 was out of it's "secret drawer" at his ragchewing desk.

Offline Charlie_Dont_Surf

• Charlie's Point, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2022, 2208 UTC »
Told him about their specious claim of "interfering with health and safety frequencies".  Told him how we had to go QSY when VOA (Africa) came on with megawatts.

Yes, because you were interfering while using your 50 Watts transmitter and VOA was not while using their 500 kW transmitter.  ::)
I don't STRETCH the truth.

"Every minute I spend in this room, my signal gets weaker.
Every minute Charlie squats in the bush, his signal gets stronger."