We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Solar cycle 25 . Very interesting? I have my doubts.  (Read 4487 times)

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
Solar cycle 25 . Very interesting? I have my doubts.
« on: August 19, 2020, 1806 UTC »
Ya know... After the let-down from the last Solar Cycle 24, and all the predictions for at least the last decade that say that Cycle 25 will just suck, I'll believe this prediction when Type O Negative does a cover of Madonna's, Like A Virgin. https://www.onallbands.com/%ef%bb%bfscientists-forecast-that-solar-cycle-25-could-actually-be-epic-for-ham-radio-operators/     (I would have to admit that the preceding Type O Negative feat would, at the very least, be amusing.)
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Re: Solar cycle 25 . Very interesting? I have my doubts.
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2020, 1844 UTC »
Using (discrete) Hilbert transforms on 270 years of
(monthly) sunspot numbers to robustly identify the so-called “termination” events, landmarks marking the
start and end of sunspot and magnetic activity cycles, we extract a relationship between the temporal
spacing of terminators and the magnitude of sunspot cycles

I'll take Torturing The Data for $1,000 Alex.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2020, 0157 UTC »
Well, so far, Cycle 25 is sucking, if that's any indication.

PS, Type O is no more. Singer / bassist Peter Steele passed away about 10 or so years ago, RIP.
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2020, 2316 UTC »
Well, so far, Cycle 25 is sucking, if that's any indication.

Meet the new solar cycle, same as the old solar cycle.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline EricPeterson

• Warren county VA (Shenandoah Valley)
  • website in progress...
    • View Profile
    • Old engineer but new at this
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2020, 1239 UTC »
I'll take Torturing The Data for $1,000 Alex.

Not only that, but they are  using your RF torture chamber.

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2020, 1927 UTC »
This is the paper in question: https://arxiv.org/pdf/2006.15263.pdf

I was of course skeptical, and still am to some degree. However...

One of the predictors is how the termination event (sudden rise in solar activity) occurs. We apparently are right now seeing just such a predicted event, with the rapid increase in solar flux. While this does not by itself confirm the paper, it is consistent with it.

There is a good explanation here: https://www.amateurradio.com/solar-cycle-25s-fast-progress/

It still is bit premature and optimistic, but the author suggests Cycle 25 could outperform... hope you're all sitting down for this... Cycle 19.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2020, 0726 UTC »
Well, tell ya what, propagation at night this week has just sucked on the amateur bands. Even down on MW. I usually have to drive pretty close to my QTH to hear my Part #15 AM1620 at night, due to Cuba and Pensacola, FL duking it out on 1620kHz, but not this week. And the HAM's that I do hear on the regular chit-chat FREQ's, (1880Khz, 3810Khz, 3919Khz, 3995Khz, etc.), are bitching up a storm that they have trouble hearing each other. I have to use the preamps on 40M to hear the normal decent 6, 7, upper 0, and Western 5, lands. I just hope for a nice "E" season for 12M, 11M, 10M, and 6M.
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2021, 0413 UTC »
Yeah, MW is sucking this season, and HF has a few mornings where you can hear about half of what could be heard 8 years ago, the rest of the mornings are mostly static.

And I don't think that's due to stations going off the air, as I haven't read of Chinese CNR1 jammers going off the air lately.

They are just not heard as well due to the propagation.

Offline NQC

• Boston,MA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2021, 1910 UTC »
Hey All.

I figured I’d chime in.

IMHO , when most people think “Solar Cycle “ it seems that the emphasis is on HF.

To me HF in 2021 seems to require a better home station than what you could “ get away with “ 25 or 35 years ago.

There has been a reduction of stations, especially outside of the ham bands and overall, the past cycles have been just “OK “.

At least for me , with all roof top antennas long gone AND all the RF noise in the apt.I am pretty much toast re weak HF. FWIW , AM BCB ain’t such a big bargain either and also requires a decent signal to work .But at least it’s  easier to null noise.Plus if I give up BCB (or occasional stronger HF ) in the apt., I’ve pretty much given up on “in home”radio ,which I refuse to do.

The only way I can really hear anything weak ,on any frequency ,is to set up away from my apt.As I grow older and times have changed, I am somewhat less inclined to attract attention to myself by setting up remotely.Especially late at night .

All this being said, even IF a cycle is overall mediocre, it STILL can have some real “ up” times as well . You just really have to be on top of your game more.

There are modes that are not fully (or at all) cycle dependent ie trans equatorial, gray line, E ,sporadic E cloud, tropo for VHF and up,etc.One could research these as a way around the long haul F modes (F1, F1.5? F2, F3 ?)

But I still will drift out at times , especially  to work AM BCB which is a lot more "subtle" than a big HF antenna and might not be as much “ cycle affected” either .On vacation, at a location that I PAY for , HF would be  more in the mix.

K
« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 0956 UTC by NQC »
Station main receiver : Bed springs to  blue razor blade detector to 2000 ohm cans to steam  radiator. Grid FN 42

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2021, 0834 UTC »
^^^^^ You make some good points. As the years progress, even if the sunspots improve it will take more of an antenna setup than would work in 2011 to hear much SWBC, if only because most of the activity is on the other side of the globe from the US. 

Ham radio may or may not be much better, except during contests, when they tend to light up the bands with activity.

UncleJohn

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2021, 2310 UTC »

At least for me , with all roof top antennas long gone AND all the RF noise in the apt.I am pretty much toast re weak HF. FWIW , AM BCB ain’t such a big bargain either and also requires a decent signal to work .But at least it’s  easier to null noise.Plus if I give up BCB (or occasional stronger HF ) in the apt., I’ve pretty much given up on “in home”radio ,which I refuse to do.

The only way I can really hear anything weak ,on any frequency ,is to set up away from my apt.As I grow older and times have changed, I am somewhat less inclined to attract attention to myself by setting up remotely.Especially late at night .

OK, this is THE honest to unowho truth: for the last 16 years I lived in a single story, single row appt. with aluminum sheet metal for the roof. Yes, lots & lots of "F'ing" noise. However, & this is the really hard bit to believe, I would alligator clip a wire (very short in length) from one of the antenna input jacks of my R8B to...get ready 'cause you're probably Not gonna believe me...the 8 foot baseboard heater annndddd I actually could catch pirates, often, even in the summer months!    Oh, I finally managed to move into a cheaper & smaller stand-alone cottage w/o aluminum anything! Meso happy looking forward to catching lots of stuff.  Oh, I realize there's still the god Propagation to give fealty to, if you get my drift.
Still "Bored Now".  ::)

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2021, 0121 UTC »
As far as I can tell, more than halfway through 2021, prop still is sucking poorly. MW isn't much better than SW.... There are still distant stations to hear, but it's nowhere what it was ten years ago.

Maybe next year will be better. Who knows.