We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Arduschreiber HF-Beacon mkII  (Read 2182 times)

Offline greator

• View Profile
Arduschreiber HF-Beacon mkII
« on: July 15, 2020, 1619 UTC »
After having test run the mkI version in my garden with good results I have done a new construction of the transmitter, the basic design is the same but the source of the schematics is different(came with Chinese QRP TX from Ebay), some of the values are a bit different, and the source of the 74HC240 is other. I 3d printed a holder for the Arduino Nano, witch turned out nicely.

Now im just waiting for a few more components for the lowpass filter, according to the designer, the PA-stage will put out about 10W at 13.8v. Im expecting more lika 2-3W.

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Re: Arduschreiber HF-Beacon mkII
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2020, 1709 UTC »
Looks nice! I hope to hear it on the air!
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline greator

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2020, 1428 UTC »
This circuit gives a bit more than i expected, driven with 13v i get 5W out, with 55% efficiency! It also works surprisingly low in voltage. In standby mode the TX only uses 4mA. The frequency can be adjusted with about 2kHz, using the 22pf variable capacitor on the oscillator.

Offline greator

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2020, 1516 UTC »
Testing "CQ TEST" at 7001,6kHz, fieldhell, at 5W once every second minute from southern part of scandinavia. I will have a look at the web-sdr to get a picture of the range. The antenna is a longwire with a reasonable ground plane.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2020, 1533 UTC by greator »

Offline greator

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2020, 0559 UTC »
I havent seen my tx on any of the web-SDR, so i tried to switch over to slow-hell but discovered that the PA has a bit of an issue with frequency drift when transmitting longer than the short pulse of field-hell. The signal starts our at one frequency, but then drifts about 250Hz higher during that "dot".

This is a problem with fldigi, since the filter is very narrow. When using the shorter field-hell "dots" this isnt seen, but it wouldnt bee an issue either since the fldigi filter is a lot wider.

The TX didnt have any other issues, so i will take if off the air and start building its enclosure and work a bit more on the code.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 0606 UTC by greator »

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2020, 1135 UTC »
I did try checking a number of KiwiSDR receivers when you first posted it was on the air being tested, but could not get any reception, either.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline greator

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2020, 0636 UTC »
I accidentally overheated the circuit when it got stuck in transmission for a longer period of time(a wire short probably) whilst enclosed in a small airtight box, i think a couple of the components overheated. Since i didnt get the stability i wanted to be able to run slow hell i have started looking around after a better design of the PA-stage.

Offline syfr

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2020, 1914 UTC »
That's a nice looking build BUT I think you'll find that getting enough frequency stability for good HELL images is going to be tricky .   

BTW, design might have worked fine with a resonant antenna rather than random/long wire.  Feed it into a dipole and I bet it's happy!
Kiwsdr x 2. TenTec Paragon/NRD535

Offline Stretchyman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2020, 0911 UTC »
Wondered what that HUGE heatsink was for!
You need to be running the PA in class E.
You won't need the H/S at all just use the PCB and an insulating pad. Efficiency is around high 80% min. Also using a single Xtal it will be nowhere near stable enuf and will pull noticibly under transmission, I can see you're already seeing this. There's no reason to use a Xtal as they're rather expensive! DDS's are under $2 and will generate any frequency upto 12 MHz (using the AD9833). Stability is improved massively.

Str.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2020, 0938 UTC by Stretchyman »
'It's better to give than receive' so why Rx when you can Tx!

;)