We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Dayton 2012  (Read 4402 times)

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Dayton 2012
« on: May 10, 2012, 1227 UTC »
Anyone going?  I'll be lurking for old broadcast gear among other things.

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline Jolly Roger

• View Profile
Re: Dayton 2012
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 1440 UTC »
I was there last year, wish I could go again but it's simply too far from here. Dunno if you've ever been before but if not here's a piece of advice: if you see something you want deal on it immediately. If you hope to keep moving in hope of finding a better example or to come back later the item WILL be gone.
Please QSL to MaplRadio@gmail.com

Next weeks contest: guess how many Volkswagons can fit in Joy Behars mouth. I pick five.

If Rosie O'Donnell jumps in the water Rosie doesn't get wet, the water gets ugly.

Icom R9000 (yes, a R9000!)
Pixel magnetic loop

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 0148 UTC »
I was there last year too, it was my first year.  Came back with stuff that's still sitting on the living room floor....sigh.  Neat place, despite the sewage ;)

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline Zoidberg

• DX Legend
  • Gopher Stomp, Texas
  • i c u
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 0235 UTC »
Wear steel toed shoes.  Best protection against broken toes from being run over by speeding power wheelchairs while jockeying for position.
That li'l ol' DXer from Texas
Unpleasant Frequencies Crew
Al: Palstar R30C & various antennae
Snoopy: Sony ICF-2010
Roger: Magnavox D2935
(Off-air recordings.)

Offline Jolly Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012, 1405 UTC »
You also need safety glasses to protect your eyes from the whip antennas attached to the mil spec HF manpack rigs that thoughtless dorks insist on wearing in the shoulder to shoulder crowd. And gum boots in case there's another Brown Trout migration from the washrooms.
Please QSL to MaplRadio@gmail.com

Next weeks contest: guess how many Volkswagons can fit in Joy Behars mouth. I pick five.

If Rosie O'Donnell jumps in the water Rosie doesn't get wet, the water gets ugly.

Icom R9000 (yes, a R9000!)
Pixel magnetic loop

Offline zackers

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2012, 1950 UTC »
I'll be there. I'm driving to Dayton on Thursday morning and should be in town early-mid afternoon on Thursday. I'm going to the VHF Weak-Signal banquet on Friday evening. Also should be at the DX, Contesting and VHF forums. In the evenings I'll be mostly in the SMC hospitality suite at the Crowne Plaza and I can't miss the annual CW Pileup Competition by the KCDXC on Saturday evening.

I also hope they have a Royal Order of the Wouff Hong ceremony this year. They haven't for the last few years. I've wanted to be in on that for several decades!   ;)
East Central Illinois
TS-850S, 40 meter full-wave loop, various dipoles

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2012, 0019 UTC »
Wear steel toed shoes.  Best protection against broken toes from being run over by speeding power wheelchairs while jockeying for position.

LOL!!!

I've often wondered why the folks at Hoverround and Jazzy don't have big sales tents at the larger hamfests.

Offline zackers

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2012, 1933 UTC »
Well, it was a blast! No Wouff Hong ceremony this year but everything else was fun. I'm still trying to get caught up on sleep ...
East Central Illinois
TS-850S, 40 meter full-wave loop, various dipoles