We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Football matches in short waves  (Read 1114 times)

Offline Mateo32

• View Profile
    • Email
Football matches in short waves
« on: September 11, 2020, 1447 UTC »
Hi, I have recently been listening to short waves and can any of you know if there are any stations broadcasting football matches from their countries?

Online Ct Yankee

• Marconi Class DXer
  • 2 of our 4 food groups in Durham CT - Play ball!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Football matches in short waves
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2020, 1524 UTC »
Welcome to the board, Mateo!  I don't know where you are listening from but here is what I have heard in the north east of the United States over the past few years.

The BBC World Service, through last year, had broadcasted a live Premier League match on Saturdays and Sundays on their Sportsworld program ranging from 1500-1700 utc start time.  They will also broadcast important Domestic/European Cup and English National team matches.

If you type 909 into the frequency box in this SDR link, you will get BBC 5Live sports channel - many football matches broadcasted.  http://remoteradio.changeip.org:8073

Radio Exterior de Espańa in Spain will broadcast European Cup, La Liga, Domestic Cup, and Spanish national team matches in Spanish whenever there is action going on.  Generally after 1800 utc any day of the week if there is a match.  They are the most frequent broadcaster of football.

Deutsche Welle will broadcast a Bundesliga match in the Hausa language each Saturday in the 1400-1600 hour, I have gotten a qsl card for a match.  There have been times DW has gone to a special frequency broadcast for national team matches in German.

Broadcaster Rádio Clube do Pará from Brazil will transmit the Brasileiro and Brazil national team matches in Portuguese.

The Voice of Turkey broadcasts Süper Lig matches (not sure about national team) but only in Turkish on the weekends, they also sent a qsl card for a match.

Radio France International has broadcasted national team matches in French during the Euros and World Cup.

The Voice of Greece has transmitted important national matches in Greek.

Here is a link to daily football matches, I have found this helpful if I pick up a match in a non-English language to learn who is playing.  https://www.livesoccertv.com

I am a US born and bred supporter of City, was hoping for a year with De Bruyne passing to Messi - and you?  Hope this was helpful.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2020, 1613 UTC by Ct Yankee »
Tecsun H501x (broadcast received on this unless noted), Zenith T/O G500, Zenith T/O Royal 7000, Emerson AR-176, Zenith 8S154, T/O 7G605 (Bomber), Tecsun PL-600, Tecsun PL-880, Zenith 5S320, Realistic DX 160 using 40 feet of copper wire.  With apologies to Senator Gramm for his thoughts on firearms, "I have more radios than I need but not as many as I want."
QTH:  Durham, Connecticut (rural setting, 15 miles north of Long Island Sound)
qsl please to:  jamcanner@comcast.net  (Thank you)

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2020, 0928 UTC »
Radio Nacional Da Amazonica (usually audible on 11780 khz here in North America -- and often on 6180 khz -- when SW conditions are decent) used to do play-by-plays of Brazilian soccer matches, in Portuguese. Not sure if they still do. They used to be audible in S5 or S4 signals, earlier last decade.
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

Online Ct Yankee

• Marconi Class DXer
  • 2 of our 4 food groups in Durham CT - Play ball!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2020, 1004 UTC »

Good catch on that, Boombox.  I believe RN da Amazonia does broadcast the National team matches at a minimum.  I believe a qsl card I have from them was from a football match.
Tecsun H501x (broadcast received on this unless noted), Zenith T/O G500, Zenith T/O Royal 7000, Emerson AR-176, Zenith 8S154, T/O 7G605 (Bomber), Tecsun PL-600, Tecsun PL-880, Zenith 5S320, Realistic DX 160 using 40 feet of copper wire.  With apologies to Senator Gramm for his thoughts on firearms, "I have more radios than I need but not as many as I want."
QTH:  Durham, Connecticut (rural setting, 15 miles north of Long Island Sound)
qsl please to:  jamcanner@comcast.net  (Thank you)

Offline Mateo32

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2020, 0923 UTC »
Welcome to the board, Mateo!  I don't know where you are listening from but here is what I have heard in the north east of the United States over the past few years.

The BBC World Service, through last year, had broadcasted a live Premier League match on Saturdays and Sundays on their Sportsworld program ranging from 1500-1700 utc start time.  They will also broadcast important Domestic/European Cup and English National team matches.

If you type 909 into the frequency box in this SDR link, you will get BBC 5Live sports channel - many football matches broadcasted.  http://remoteradio.changeip.org:8073

Radio Exterior de Espańa in Spain will broadcast European Cup, La Liga, Domestic Cup, and Spanish national team matches in Spanish whenever there is action going on.  Generally after 1800 utc any day of the week if there is a match.  They are the most frequent broadcaster of football.

Deutsche Welle will broadcast a Bundesliga match in the Hausa language each Saturday in the 1400-1600 hour, I have gotten a qsl card for a match.  There have been times DW has gone to a special frequency broadcast for national team matches in German.

Broadcaster Rádio Clube do Pará from Brazil will transmit the Brasileiro and Brazil national team matches in Portuguese.

The Voice of Turkey broadcasts Süper Lig matches (not sure about national team) but only in Turkish on the weekends, they also sent a qsl card for a match.

Radio France International has broadcasted national team matches in French during the Euros and World Cup.

The Voice of Greece has transmitted important national matches in Greek.

Here is a link to daily football matches, I have found this helpful if I pick up a match in a non-English language to learn who is playing.  https://www.livesoccertv.com

I am a US born and bred supporter of City, was hoping for a year with De Bruyne passing to Messi - and you?  Hope this was helpful.
Thanks for the tips.  I am listening from central Poland.