We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Canadian DGPS stations off the air  (Read 1279 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Canadian DGPS stations off the air
« on: September 12, 2020, 2156 UTC »
These stations seem to be off the air right now. I spent a good deal of time double checking my antenna and receiver and computer trying to figure out why they were not coming in yet. Checked an SDR in Maine, no sign of them, but it was getting the stations in the maritimes.

St Jean Richelieu 296.0
Wiarton, ON  286.0
Cardinal, ON 306.0

I think Lauzon, QC is on, but not 100% sure. Might create some NDB opportunities until they realize the janitor unplugged the transmitters when he was plugging in the vacuum cleaner, and get them back on the air.

This prompted me to check the Canadian DGPS outage page, but the USCG zapped it. Canada does not seem to run one.

Some searching for one however turned up this...  https://www.hfunderground.com/board/index.php/topic,71545.0.html
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
Re: Canadian DGPS stations off the air
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2020, 2204 UTC »
Those came in here last night, 1035-1058Z for their last decodes. They're nighttime only here. We'll see if they show up.

I've never found a status page for Canadian stations other than the one that the USCG used to maintain.
Minneapolis, MN

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2020, 2213 UTC »
Still nothing here, at least a few of them should have appeared by now, hours ago really.

OK Cardinal just appeared. And gone.  Western Head NS is twice as far away and coming in now.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2020, 2220 UTC by ChrisSmolinski »
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2020, 1458 UTC »
I've been getting them here at night... perhaps they were off for maintenance?
Minneapolis, MN

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2020, 1523 UTC »
Same thing last night, looking back at previous nights it seems Wiarton generally does produce fewer decodes than the other nearby stations, so perhaps I was just imagining it.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2020, 0326 UTC »
Or propagation was messing with you... it has been known to do that.
Minneapolis, MN