We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: UNID (Aggressive Policeman Station) 6950 USB 22:58z  (Read 11480 times)

Offline Andrew Yoder

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
    • Hobby Broadcasting Blog
    • Email
Re: UNID (Aggressive Policeman Station) 6950 USB 22:58z
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2012, 1300 UTC »
Can't believe it ran all night! I recorded it, but ran out of disk space around 3 or 4 AM. Strong at 1100 UTC, but much weaker by 1200. I didn't think to check MMSSTV, but it was running, so I should have an image there of some sort.

Thanks!
Please QSL to: POB 109, BRS, PA 17214
Hobby Broadcasting Blog: http://hobbybroadcasting.blogspot.com/
Drake R8, AOR AR-7030, R-390A, R-388, SX-28A, Philco 44 + some others    Horizontal loops & 1/2-wave inverted V

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2012, 1859 UTC »
Checking SDR recordings, 6950 went QRT at 1338z this morning. The signal was extremely weak when it went QRT, much weaker than nighttime. So that rules out NVIS and a semi local (to me) transmitter location.

Should this thread be moved to Other ?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 1901 UTC by ChrisSmolinski »
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Sealord

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
  • North East Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2012, 1916 UTC »
ya I guess this should be in the Other category - go for it man :)
Indoors: WR-G33DDC & TT RX-340_DX Eng. 4-Square Array / Outdoors: Belka-DX_Whip / Poolside: SMC HF-150_MMD-40 (D.O.G.) / Off Air/Studio Recordings

Offline Andrew Yoder

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
    • Hobby Broadcasting Blog
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2012, 2122 UTC »
I don't have the audio file from overnight. I guess the voice transmission stopped long enough for the SSTV to be sent and not that another station sent the SSTV overtop of the transmission? BTW, I did have nice copy on the SSTV pic
Please QSL to: POB 109, BRS, PA 17214
Hobby Broadcasting Blog: http://hobbybroadcasting.blogspot.com/
Drake R8, AOR AR-7030, R-390A, R-388, SX-28A, Philco 44 + some others    Horizontal loops & 1/2-wave inverted V

Fansome

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2012, 2141 UTC »
This was posted to the UDXF group regarding reports of a voice reading from "Huckleberry Finn" on 7536u:

RE: [UDXF] Re: [HFmonitors] Re: 7536.0 USB passages from a book being read

Ary Boender
To UDXF@yahoogroups.com

These transmissions are used for training of SIGINT operators, mostly by the US Navy, and these broadcasts are most often used during the various Training/Qualification/Certification phases for large battle groups (like a carrier or large-deck amphibious vessel). The Navy trains for all aspects of modern warfare; such as Anti-Air, Anti-Surface, Anti-Submarine, Mine countermeasures, Air/Flight Ops, and yes, SIGINT. The teams deployed within a battle group have to undergo many of the same qualification steps as the rest of the battle group including acquisition, processing/analysis, geolocation (Direction Finding) and reporting. They have been heard using the Harvard sentences, Huckleberry Finn, the Bible, and even some book that was very inflammatory (calling for the destruction of the US by muslim warriors). They often use speakers with accents or will switch from male to female or even switch speakers mid-sentence in an effort to confuse. Also, if there is voice activity, there is likely some simple digital mode (45/50/75bd RTTY, 110b ASCII or SITOR-B) also active once or twice each hour somewhere nearby. In the past, many of these transmissions have come from the vicinity of Mayport/Jacksonville, San Diego and Seattle/Bremerton. They are run by the Afloat Training Groups (ATGs) that are responsible for training and evaluating the battle groups. The station down on 6950/6990 kHz was coming out of the Mayport/Jacksonville area.

Ary