We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Yet another potential massive RFI source - Wireless EV Chargers  (Read 941 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
The spurious emission limits proposed by the Wireless Electric Vehicle Charger industry would raise the current urban RF noise floor by approximately 40dB. You'd need to be about 1 km away from *one* of these chargers before the radiated emissions would be back to the current noise floor. 

https://docdb.cept.org/download/2fed7e3c-7543/ECC%20Report%20289.pdf
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Yet another potential massive RFI source - Wireless EV Chargers
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2020, 0123 UTC »
I don't get it.  Is it really above the intelligence of the average soccer mom that drives one of these things to plug it in at night?  Wireless charging is horribly inefficient, and you think the point of all this in the first place is reducing one's energy footprint, not broadening it.

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Re: Yet another potential massive RFI source - Wireless EV Chargers
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2020, 1235 UTC »
I don't get it.  Is it really above the intelligence of the average soccer mom that drives one of these things to plug it in at night?  Wireless charging is horribly inefficient, and you think the point of all this in the first place is reducing one's energy footprint, not broadening it.

+-RH

Indeed. Although you have to factor in the virtue signaling points from mere ownership of an EV. That might compensate for the significantly reduced efficiency of wireless charging.

My hope is that .gov and .mil users of the spectrum will put the kibosh on this. Also, I suspect even if these contraptions do come to market, they will be mostly installed at commercial locations in urban areas with obscene noise floors anyway, rather than residences. Wireless charging at the Starbucks for example, so you can top off your EV while getting a $12 coffee filled with 100g of sugar.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

HFUnderground Mug
HFUnderground Mug
by MitchellTimeDesigns