We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Crossed Parallel Loop Antenna - back to passive  (Read 1360 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Crossed Parallel Loop Antenna - back to passive
« on: September 20, 2020, 2057 UTC »
My crossed parallel loop (Build notes on the Crossed Parallel Loop: http://www.radiohobbyist.org/blog/?p=2340 ) had a third party version of the LZ1AQ pre-amp, but was never happy with the performance. So today I removed the pre-amp and went back to a passive configuration. I made a custom version of my Cyclops Transformer, with 5 turns on the input and 13 turns on the output, as the loop presents a fairly low impedance.  I must say, it's working much better as a passive antenna. Strong signals, and still quite directional, even on HF, I was able to drop CFRX 6070 from S6 to S3. Much more directional on LW and MW of course.  I'll seal up the transformer once I am sure I am satisfied with the turns ratio (although I think I am).

This brings up a question - would there be interest in a Cyclops Transformer kit? The PCB, ferrite core, and choice of UHF or F connector. Maybe some wire wrap wire for folks who don't have any magnet wire?  Thoughts?

Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline M R I

• View Profile
Re: Crossed Parallel Loop Antenna - back to passive
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2020, 2150 UTC »
How does this loop antenna compare to a single loop antenna? Sometimes with a proper match with a step up transformer you can achieve good gain to the receiver without the added noise of using a matching preamp.
Mix.Radio.International [at] ProtonMail [dot] com

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2020, 1107 UTC »
LZ1AQ has some information/theory on the Crossed Parallel Loop here: https://www.lz1aq.signacor.com/docs/wsml/wideband-active-sm-loop-antenna.htm

The most important properties of CP loops are the ability to built loops with large area and low inductance which still preserve the small loop radiation pattern. Their short circuit current is higher compared to a single turn loop with the same area.

Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline M R I

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2020, 1703 UTC »
The S/N factor from the design of this wide band loop antenna is a big factor. Reducing the loops inductance can help. If the gain is not sufficient with your passive transformer you can design a different active per amp circuit with a acceptable noise floor.
Mix.Radio.International [at] ProtonMail [dot] com