We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: FCC vs God  (Read 2409 times)

Offline tybee

• View Profile
    • Email
FCC vs God
« on: September 18, 2020, 1243 UTC »
Congressman Mark Green request the FCC to allow churches to exceed part 15 limits, Pai says no, just use more transmitters instead.

http://www.radioworld.com/news-and-business/headlines/fcc-wont-raise-unlicensed-power-levels-for-churches

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
Re: FCC vs God
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2020, 1743 UTC »
Here's a case where folks need to understand the other alternatives out there.  I no longer will do Part #15 FM, except maybe to test a transmitter, since anything unlicensed FM where I am is so bastardized, due to the political climate today. So, I'm doing both the permissible Part #15 AM ways, radiating 100mW MAX OUT, (If not less.), to a 10ft antenna and Carrier-Current, coupling to the power lines. Unfortunately, with Radio Systems and LPB, Inc., both gone, there's few alternatives to what's out there in Carrier-Current, except to roll your own gear. (It's been done.) At least, there are several radiating AM transmitters out there that are FCC approved, albeit not cheap. (Some have rolled their own here as well.) For FM, the market is just littered with these cheap Part #15 transmitters, most being used to transmit net streams and satellite radio. (87.9FM seems popular for that when you drive around.) However, there range is from about 200ft with a decent car stereo, to maybe 50ft to a crappy portable.
            Anyway... Looks like there certainly a market out there for Part #15 radio transmitters, but folks need to be aware of just what's out there. However, there seems like there is nothing on mainstream media that points out AM Part #15 gear, just some FM stuff, like C Crane, par example.

I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline secretlab

• Northern Arizona
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2020, 0116 UTC »
That's an opportunity lost, but a good solution already exists with the Part 15 AM Rangemaster and Procaster products (plus the upcoming Parking Lot Radio should that make it to market.)

But AM is not their preference, as you might gather from Rep. Green's FM-centric letter to Ajit Pai.

Having installed a few Rangemasters and a Procaster, I called a number of local churches back in March, and found little interest in a Part 15 AM solution, as good as it is.  That was a surprise. I was later dismayed to find that local pastors prefer to hold services as usual, in spite of the risks.

ICOM IC-7300, Chameleon EMCOMMII 60' inverted L, HF+ Discovery, MFJ-1886 rotatable RX loop. Portable: Xiegu X6100, mcHF, Chameleon CHA-TDL delta loop, wires.

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2020, 0522 UTC »
I was later dismayed to find that local pastors prefer to hold services as usual, in spite of the risks.

Of course, much easier to guilt a donation out of a captive audience.

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline tybee

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2020, 2115 UTC »
That's an opportunity lost, but a good solution already exists with the Part 15 AM Rangemaster and Procaster products (plus the upcoming Parking Lot Radio should that make it to market.)

But AM is not their preference, as you might gather from Rep. Green's FM-centric letter to Ajit Pai.

Paul Riismandel of Radio Survivor just published an article addressing this same topic and emphasizes the illegal fm transmiters on Amazon as compared to the legal C Crane model. He goes on to point out the advantages, despite it usually requiring a substanstially more expensive initial investment, for the churches to opt part 15 AM instead of FM. Also mention of the new Parking lot Radio transmitter, potentially soon to be another certified AM option.

He himself uses a Talking House which he considers sufficient for his purposes, but acknowledges the pricey Rangemasters and Procasters to be superior.

Anyway it's a good read, below are a few lines excerpted from the article..

http://www.radiosurvivor.com/2020/09/21/social-distancing-sparks-interest-in-part-15-unlicensed-broadcasting-but-caveat-emptor/

"...It’s notable that Rep. Green’s request was for FM transmitters, which are far more limited under Part 15. While the regulations for the AM dial.. ..there’s no explicit limit on the signal distance. Clever and careful engineering can wring out a little more reach, and distances closer to a half-mile or more can be achieved....

..That said, I can actually empathize with the FCC on this one.... I can also imagine the waivers would be challenging to enforce. Without a license to revoke, how would the FCC ever verify that anyone is keeping to the new limit, ... ..That doesn’t mean churches, theaters or other organizations can’t leverage Part 15 broadcasting. As I mentioned earlier.. Despite the AM band’s diminished reputation, you can still get very good sound...."

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2020, 0719 UTC »
Oh yeah... As soon as I read your initial post on this, I've FWR that to Paul. His e-mailed RSVP was, "Very interesting." .  And, they do cover Part #15 stuff on Radio Survivor, on occasion. 
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline tybee

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2020, 0957 UTC »
Somewhat related and something I'm curious about.. about two weeks ago Walmart has converted 160 of their parking lots into pop- up drive-in movie locations. You listen on your card fm dial.... So, are they paying licencing to broadcast on fm for all these free movies for the next year or so? Or are they doing it licece-free ie: part 15?

https://thewalmartdrivein.com

Maybe the churches should look into however Walmart is doing it.

Offline tybee

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2020, 0010 UTC »
That was probably too far off topic. So back on topic; RECNET of Maryland provides excellent advice in their article earlier this year:

Advice for Churches: Drive-In services
https://recnet.com/drive-in-church