We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Pixel active RX antenna  (Read 2710 times)

Offline Jolly Roger

• View Profile
Pixel active RX antenna
« on: May 25, 2012, 0213 UTC »
Hey, I got a Pixel receive only antenna. Been using it for a few months now and love it. It's pricey but well worth it. Using cheap satellite TV coax you can mount it more then 200' away. Using expensive satellite TV coax you can mount it up to 1000' away. Google them if you're interested.
Please QSL to MaplRadio@gmail.com

Next weeks contest: guess how many Volkswagons can fit in Joy Behars mouth. I pick five.

If Rosie O'Donnell jumps in the water Rosie doesn't get wet, the water gets ugly.

Icom R9000 (yes, a R9000!)
Pixel magnetic loop

Offline corq

• Global Moderator
    • ICQ Messenger - 6176320
    • AOL Instant Messenger - uncorq
    • View Profile
    • corq dot co
Re: Pixel active RX antenna
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012, 1536 UTC »
Hai JR! I just got one of these when I moved to my new (much noisier) qth with shopping centers nearby. VERY happy with it.

Before receiving it, I was seriously frightened I'd never hear weak pirates again due to limited space for antenna, and the new QRM etc.

This thing is pretty awesome. I haven't decided on using a remote antenna tuner yet, being in Florida I sorta just Aim it north and pivot it east or west but I'm getting good results so far.
Icom IC-705/AirSpyHF+ Discovery via GR5V
QTH: KMCO
plz qsl: corqpub ~at~ gmail.com
Captures posted to: http://youtube.com/uncorq
Kicks, Screams and Other Heresies: http://corq.co

Offline Jolly Roger

• View Profile
Re: Pixel active RX antenna
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2012, 1919 UTC »
I really like mine so far. I find it hears as well as my 55 foot Double Zepp in a fraction of the space and only 15 feet off the ground.
Although it has some directional characteristics I find that the biggest advantage to being able to rotate it is to avoid some noise, but even this is barely noticeable. I'm still experimenting with it to see if there's improvement to be gained from better grounding but that will have to wait: we have snow and the ground is frozen. No more antenna work 'til May.
Please QSL to MaplRadio@gmail.com

Next weeks contest: guess how many Volkswagons can fit in Joy Behars mouth. I pick five.

If Rosie O'Donnell jumps in the water Rosie doesn't get wet, the water gets ugly.

Icom R9000 (yes, a R9000!)
Pixel magnetic loop