We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Eat your eggs  (Read 3592 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Eat your eggs
« on: October 09, 2020, 1855 UTC »
"In 3 large international prospective studies including ∼177,000 individuals, 12,701 deaths, and 13,658 CVD events from 50 countries in 6 continents, we did not find significant associations between egg intake and blood lipids, mortality, or major CVD events."

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31965140/
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Looking-Glass

• DX Legend
  • Condobolin, NSW, Australia
  • "Old fashioned DXer, no offshore computer rxing!"
    • View Profile
Re: Eat your eggs
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2020, 1046 UTC »
Love my fried eggs "sunny side up" and not supermarket eggs either, from my neighbours chickens that wander around his three acre block. 

Yolk from his hens is dark yellow and holds well when frying, not like the runny tasteless supermarket eggs...yuk! :P

Had a run of "double yoke" eggs from his hens for awhile too.

Don't care what the scientific geeks and "researchers" say about eggs and other SAE's (Self Appointed Experts), a good egg will do you more good than harm. ;)
Condobolin, NSW.

Grid Square:  QF37ub

Yaesu FT-1000D, Yaesu FT-2000D, ICOM IC-736 HF/50MHz, ICOM IC R75 & Tecsun S-2000 to 450 feet of wire, 27MHz 1/2 wave CB antenna converted to 21MHz & a multi band vertical of dubious reliability.

Offline Rob.

• View Profile
    • N1NTE KiwiSDR online
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2020, 1228 UTC »
Love my fried eggs "sunny side up" and not supermarket eggs either, from my neighbours chickens that wander around his three acre block. 

Yolk from his hens is dark yellow and holds well when frying, not like the runny tasteless supermarket eggs...yuk! :P

Had a run of "double yoke" eggs from his hens for awhile too.

Don't care what the scientific geeks and "researchers" say about eggs and other SAE's (Self Appointed Experts), a good egg will do you more good than harm. ;)

Both Chris S. and I raise chickens for the exact same reasons. I figured it out in rough numbers and fresh eggs produced on my property runs me about $1.86 a dozen (not including my own labor - feeding them, cleaning the coop, etc.). While not economical, there is no substitute for the quality of nutrient-rich food that you can go collect every day. I will be able to reduce that amount it costs once I get another dog (who will need dog food, there goes the profit!) who can protect them while free ranging so they won't eat purchased layer pellets as much. Too many hawks, fishers, fox, and other predators around.

Double yolks are very common in young hens as their reproductive system sometimes misfires and produces eggs with two (and sometimes more) yolks. We consider them a bonus whenever we get them. It is also nice to have extra eggs to give to other people. It is even more fun to barter them for homemade jelly and fruit, pickles, etc.

Chickens turn all sorts of things into eggs - stale bread, vegetable scraps, japanese beetles, etc. :) You can't beat showing your kids where food actually comes from. It turns into a good educational experience and helps them to appreciate the connection to healthy food.
- Rob

CT/MA border
Email: n1nte.rob@gmail.com
KiwiSDR (x4) online - http://sigmasdr.ddns.net:8073/
ΣSDR Blog - https://n1nte.blogspot.com/

Offline Ct Yankee

• Marconi Class DXer
  • 2 of our 4 food groups in Durham CT - Play ball!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2020, 1439 UTC »

Σ -

Several of my neighbors have chickens, last winter I found one missing its head on my lawn.  Another morning while walking down to get the paper, a fox was having its way with one near my blueberry bushes.  My wife thought I should add this to my radio/organic hobbies but with sons (and a soon to be grandson) living far away, I am away from home for periods - plus there are plenty of folks that sell their eggs here.  Also, the fox, fishers, coyotes, hawks, and perhaps now bobcats about the area have also been a deterrent.

It's great you got your kids involved with it, both our adult sons now grow/cook/ferment/can because they were introduced as children.  I'm thinking you and I are both Nutmeggers, if you are ever traveling through Durham and want to swap eggs for our canned goods (jams, jellies, pickles, applesauce, etc.)  I'm game, drop me a line. We grow berries, grapes, and whatever the wildlife doesn't grab for some of our products. I use to swap our canned goods by mail to a guy in the North East Kingdom of Vermont for a year's worth of maple syrup.  My wife is co-chair of the Canning Department at the Durham Fair, I'm been involved with the department since 2000. 

Tecsun H501x (broadcast received on this unless noted), Zenith T/O G500, Zenith T/O Royal 7000, Emerson AR-176, Zenith 8S154, T/O 7G605 (Bomber), Tecsun PL-600, Tecsun PL-880, Zenith 5S320, Realistic DX 160 using 40 feet of copper wire.  With apologies to Senator Gramm for his thoughts on firearms, "I have more radios than I need but not as many as I want."
QTH:  Durham, Connecticut (rural setting, 15 miles north of Long Island Sound)
qsl please to:  jamcanner@comcast.net  (Thank you)

Offline Rob.

• View Profile
    • N1NTE KiwiSDR online
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2020, 1858 UTC »
My hens get locked up every night for that reason. I have two fox kits that visit nightly and I have all the same predators here, too.

I am actually in MA but can see CT from here. Wish you were closer as I'd definitely be up for some trading. Although CT is pretty much closed off to us here due to the virus at the moment.
- Rob

CT/MA border
Email: n1nte.rob@gmail.com
KiwiSDR (x4) online - http://sigmasdr.ddns.net:8073/
ΣSDR Blog - https://n1nte.blogspot.com/

Offline Zoidberg

• DX Legend
  • Gopher Stomp, Texas
  • i c u
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2022, 0447 UTC »
I miss having a rural place where we had chickens and, at one point, a wild tom turkey that showed up injured as a young jake and decided to stay and lord it over the roosters and play god to the hens.

Mostly I miss the really good eggs.

Since this thread was begun in 2020, egg prices here skyrocketed from around a dollar a dozen to $5 a dozen. I noticed Kroger has 18 pack brown eggs for $5, mostly because some folks dislike the appearance of brown eggs, or the slightly darker yolks, or maybe the shells are harder to crack. But even at $5 for 18, it's a much better value than the white shell eggs. Flavor is a little better, but still can't compare with our free range eggs from hens that fed on a combination of feed and whatever they could find in the garden and orchard.
That li'l ol' DXer from Texas
Unpleasant Frequencies Crew
Al: Palstar R30C & various antennae
Snoopy: Sony ICF-2010
Roger: Magnavox D2935
(Off-air recordings.)

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2022, 1438 UTC »
... or the slightly darker yolks, or maybe the shells are harder to crack.

Man, those are things that demonstrate an egg's quality. They indicate a good variety of diet.

I had backyard hens for a while but my tendency to regard anything in my care as a pet wasn't helpful. Good eggs. Fortunately around my parts, some commercially sold eggs are of high quality. They have hard shells and darker yolks.
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2022, 1136 UTC »
We've (well, my wife, I'm just the maintenance guy) had a flock for a few years now. At first our net cost for eggs was definitely more than the supermarket, back when Aldi had a dozen for 59 cents. Now that it's north of $3, that has certainly changed. They free range in a large fenced in area, although they still require supplemental feed, more in winter than summer of course. Feed has gone up also in price (what hasn't?) but we found a local mill we buy from now vs Tractor Supply / Rural King, that produces feed from grain from local farmers. So it's cheaper, better quality, and helps support the local farmers, win win win.

There's absolutely a difference in the nutritional value of eggs depending on the feed. Not to mention a somewhat better lifestyle for the hens. Yolks are usually an amazing orange color. Shell color is breed specific, we have a wide range that produce from nearly white to dark brown chocolate, plus some blue/green colors.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree