Technical Topics > Part 15 AM and FM Station Operation

You can roll your own

<< < (2/2)

Finman:

--- Quote from: ThaDood on October 17, 2020, 1818 UTC ---I have, for the 22M 13MHz band in AM,    http://boomerthedog.net/13560.html      That 2mW, (Ooooooooo, what a flame thrower!), actually covers a few miles to anyone RX'ing with the decent 20M antenna set-up. It was all trashed and recycled parts, except for the 13.560MHz crystal, that was provided by Fearless Fred. (A very nice donation, indeed!) However, I'm not using that anytime soon. Why??? The 22M Beacon freaks went apeschytt on me. Even Glenn Hauser e-mailed to me that it was a bad idea for me to use this mW AM TX. So, O.F.W... However, it was a neat and fun experiment, for a while. So, what's next? An old idea, coming of new, again. A Layman's, Plug & Play, AM Carrier-Current, Medium Wave, Transmitter. And, we have several existing choice ideas to build prototypes from. Stay tuned!!!!!! (Literally.)

--- End quote ---

You get very many more miles-per-watt with a CW signal than you will with AM. Another thing to consider is the fact that an AM signal typically takes up about 3 to 6 khz of bandwidth. That being said, what the heck, give it a try. My guess is you'll need a lot more than 2mw to be heard much beyond your backyard.

Experimentation is a good thing.  8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version