We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: You can roll your own  (Read 2418 times)

Offline JimIO

• QTH I.O. MA
    • View Profile

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
Re: You can roll your own
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2020, 1818 UTC »
I have, for the 22M 13MHz band in AM,    http://boomerthedog.net/13560.html      That 2mW, (Ooooooooo, what a flame thrower!), actually covers a few miles to anyone RX'ing with the decent 20M antenna set-up. It was all trashed and recycled parts, except for the 13.560MHz crystal, that was provided by Fearless Fred. (A very nice donation, indeed!) However, I'm not using that anytime soon. Why??? The 22M Beacon freaks went apeschytt on me. Even Glenn Hauser e-mailed to me that it was a bad idea for me to use this mW AM TX. So, O.F.W... However, it was a neat and fun experiment, for a while. So, what's next? An old idea, coming of new, again. A Layman's, Plug & Play, AM Carrier-Current, Medium Wave, Transmitter. And, we have several existing choice ideas to build prototypes from. Stay tuned!!!!!! (Literally.) 
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline KandiKlover

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2020, 2117 UTC »
I have, for the 22M 13MHz band in AM,    http://boomerthedog.net/13560.html      That 2mW, (Ooooooooo, what a flame thrower!), actually covers a few miles to anyone RX'ing with the decent 20M antenna set-up. It was all trashed and recycled parts, except for the 13.560MHz crystal, that was provided by Fearless Fred. (A very nice donation, indeed!) However, I'm not using that anytime soon. Why??? The 22M Beacon freaks went apeschytt on me. Even Glenn Hauser e-mailed to me that it was a bad idea for me to use this mW AM TX. So, O.F.W... However, it was a neat and fun experiment, for a while. So, what's next? An old idea, coming of new, again. A Layman's, Plug & Play, AM Carrier-Current, Medium Wave, Transmitter. And, we have several existing choice ideas to build prototypes from. Stay tuned!!!!!! (Literally.)

It's actually a fine idea. Don't worry about the autistic manchildrens, they just like to cry about everything.

Offline Kingbear Radio

• Universe
  • Kingbear Radio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2020, 0030 UTC »
Could the Black Cat System Beacon transmitter be modulated with AM or FM? That might be an easy way to get something ready to go at the proper power level.

I like The Dood's. I wouldn't worry about those guys either, they don't own the band. Most of what I've heard at 13.56 is just a continuous noise level centered around the middle of the band, it sounds like a hash from so many transmitters.
K-Bear Radio

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2020, 1655 UTC »
Could the Black Cat System Beacon transmitter be modulated with AM or FM? That might be an easy way to get something ready to go at the proper power level.

Not easily.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Finman

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2021, 1711 UTC »

You get very many more miles-per-watt with a CW signal than you will with AM. Another thing to consider is the fact that an AM signal typically takes up about 3 to 6 khz of bandwidth. That being said, what the heck, give it a try. My guess is you'll need a lot more than 2mw to be heard much beyond your backyard.

Experimentation is a good thing.  8)