We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: KRSV 1210 AM 0350 UTC 20 Oct 2020  (Read 1161 times)

Offline Treehouse SWL

• DX Legend
  • Lake Stevens, Washington
    • View Profile
    • personal website
    • Email
KRSV 1210 AM 0350 UTC 20 Oct 2020
« on: October 21, 2020, 0139 UTC »
A short, sad story: My old laptop was shared between my work and my personal stuff. When I was laid off at the end of July, I thought I'd transferred all my personal files off it to my new laptop at home.

At least one file didn't make it: Eight months' worth of MW logs; at least 150+ stations in all. I've looked for weeks in various email accounts, etc.

But I remembered last night that I posted my most memorable loggings on this board. So while I was searching this board and beginning to recreate my old electronic logbook, I finally settled my radio onto 1210 kHz.

I missed the details on the legal ID at 0400 UTC, as I was surprised it wasn’t KHAT, which I've heard before. Instead, it was another country music station: KRSV -- announced as “The Spur” during an ID at 0410 UTC that match the station's online stream from Afton, Wyoming. This one dominated the frequency for about 15 minutes until long fades started. Got this one without my better AM radio with its big external loop antenna.

Listed as just 250 watts at night; 651 miles from my house. My fourth station from Wyoming overall; there are fewer than three dozen AM stations in that entire state.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2020, 0146 UTC by Treehouse SWL »
Eric Fetters-Walp / eQSL to fettwalp@outlook.com

Radios: Eton Elite Field, Sihuadon R-108, Eton Grundig Edition Satellit
Antennas: 60-foot-long end-fed wire, MLA-30+ loop

Offline pinto vortando

• View Profile
Re: KRSV 1210 AM 0350 UTC 20 Oct 2020
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2020, 0935 UTC »
Wyoming is a tough catch here in Michigan. 
Managed to snag KRND AM 1630  last year early one morning.
They run only 1 KW at night but there are only 2 other stations on that
channel.  The problem was pulling out KRND from under KCJJ.
The Iowa station really booms in here (sometimes even in the daytime
if conditions are right). 

Too bad about your logs, that has to be a big disappointment.
Logs here are all paper with loggings going back to 1980 and QSL cards
from the early 60s.  Problem is in trying to find a particular station or QSO.  :-\

Good luck with your employment situation, hopefully you find something soon. 

Das Radiobunker somewhere in Michigan

Offline East Troy Don

• DX Legend
  • "If you can't convince them, confuse them" Truman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2020, 1637 UTC »
Ditto....I still use the spiral logbook type i used back in the 80's but as long as we're on the
subject, any recommendations for a decent SWL logbook for the MacBook Air ?
Thanks.
Primary: Yaesu FRG-7700  Secondary: ICOM R75 Tertiary: Grundig  750. Tecsun PL-990X, Tecsun PL-880 . Malahit DSP SDR V3,  Alpha Delta  SWL Sloper antenna. : Also, 1940 Mantola am/sw tube. CountyComm GP-5/SSB hand held, Tecsun PL-380 ,et al.  QTH: EAST TROY WI  USA.  Sea Level: + 320 meters .  75 miles (but not far enough) NNW of Chicago

Offline Treehouse SWL

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
    • personal website
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2020, 1918 UTC »
Ditto....I still use the spiral logbook type i used back in the 80's but as long as we're on the
subject, any recommendations for a decent SWL logbook for the MacBook Air ?
Thanks.

Can't help on that. I work in a Windows world, so my new personal laptop's a Lenovo, and my "logbook" is a Word document rather than using a specifically formatted program. My final piece of Apple tech, an iPod touch, died earlier this year.

Offline Treehouse SWL

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
    • personal website
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2020, 1921 UTC »
Wyoming is a tough catch here in Michigan. 
Managed to snag KRND AM 1630  last year early one morning.
They run only 1 KW at night but there are only 2 other stations on that
channel.  The problem was pulling out KRND from under KCJJ.
The Iowa station really booms in here (sometimes even in the daytime
if conditions are right). 

Too bad about your logs, that has to be a big disappointment.
Logs here are all paper with loggings going back to 1980 and QSL cards
from the early 60s.  Problem is in trying to find a particular station or QSO.  :-\

Good luck with your employment situation, hopefully you find something soon.

I still have my '80s-era logbook around here. But I'm so used to typing for work, my freelancing, etc., that I just use my computer now.

On the employment front, I snagged a new job after five weeks of unemployment. Now, instead of doing corporate communications for a big aerospace company, I'm quickly learning all about writing tech-related articles and social media content. Old dogs CAN learn new tricks!

Offline East Troy Don

• DX Legend
  • "If you can't convince them, confuse them" Truman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2020, 2152 UTC »
Yeah, the old manual logbooks are functional but one is SOL when  one wants to isolate/group column subject matter. 
Primary: Yaesu FRG-7700  Secondary: ICOM R75 Tertiary: Grundig  750. Tecsun PL-990X, Tecsun PL-880 . Malahit DSP SDR V3,  Alpha Delta  SWL Sloper antenna. : Also, 1940 Mantola am/sw tube. CountyComm GP-5/SSB hand held, Tecsun PL-380 ,et al.  QTH: EAST TROY WI  USA.  Sea Level: + 320 meters .  75 miles (but not far enough) NNW of Chicago