We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: What was the first pirate station you ever logged?  (Read 7075 times)

Offline Bowman1

• The cornfields of Iowa
  • Boris, Radio Kitty.
    • View Profile
    • HF Radio Review
    • Email
What was the first pirate station you ever logged?
« on: June 07, 2012, 2049 UTC »
Back in the spring of 1993, I managed to pick up WKIK out of Jacksonville (?) on an old Hallicrafter's SX-73. Later on that year, I got my first verification from WLIS: We Love Interval Signals. The QSL had charicatures of goose-stepping Nazis on it, with the caption: "Always the first order of the FCC: SEIZE THE RADIO STATION!" It got printed in George Zeller's Monitoring Times column later, which was a huge rush for me back then.

What was your first pirate, and what radio did you hear them on?
Receivers: Elad FDM-SW2  r390a, WJ-8718, Microtelcom Perseus
Antennas: 65' sloping vertical, Pixel Technologies magnetic loop, Array Solutions SAL-30
QSL info: bowman1 [at] gmail

"Bowman, what are you doing hanging out in grocery store parking lots? Kinda creepy."

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Re: What was the first pirate station you ever logged?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 2145 UTC »
I'm pretty sure it was Radio Confusion back in 1978.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

rdla4

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 2234 UTC »
First "pirate" was way back in the mid 70's some kids in my home town setup a few watts on 1610khz, and played radio everynight as "WSUE"

A few years passed when I heard Wolverine Radio---in 2010.

Fansome

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 2302 UTC »
In the mid-70s, when I was living in Pasadena, CA, there was a local college that ran a pirate FM station during finals week. They called themselves "KCAL". They started the week by playing "Ride of the Valkyries", and then anything that the DJs felt like for the rest of the week. It could be heard for maybe a half-mile around the campus. I visited the studio a few times; it was always filled with exhausted, drunken students who had been dragooned into manning the transmitter. I was appalled.

Offline Sealord

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
  • North East Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 2314 UTC »
WSKY in 1993 :)

1st QSL was from 6YVOS for their Jerry Garcia tribute show in 1995.

These stations were all heard on a Grundig Satellit 500.

Went back and looked at the log sheet from that night, the UTC times look later than I thought they were, but then again I could have been an hour off.  I should add that these are possibly not the first pirates I ever heard, but the first ones I ever logged.

01-02-93

7415 Mhz

05:10z WSKY
05:25z WMAD
06:10z Voice Of Garbage
06:18z Voice Of The Night with a call in # 713-780-1799

I have written down '(WCYC)?', but no time given; the two 'Voice' stations also had a QSO going at one point IIRC.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 2132 UTC by Sealord »
Indoors: WR-G33DDC & TT RX-340_DX Eng. 4-Square Array / Outdoors: Belka-DX_Whip / Poolside: SMC HF-150_MMD-40 (D.O.G.) / Off Air/Studio Recordings

Offline jFarley

• Marconi Class DXer
  • near Chicago
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 2337 UTC »
KQSB.  1982 I think.
First QSL was TCS 1983.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 2245 UTC by jFarley »
Joe Farley, Near Chicago
SDR-IQ / R8 / R7
Remote Resonant Loops for HF and LF / ALA 1530
Active 60" Whip / PA0RDT
QSLS appreciated to:    jfarley44@att.net

Offline Jolly Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2012, 0424 UTC »
Voice of Laryngitis. What a way to start, a TRUE classic. Still have the QSL. Next was TNFM. A true Canadian classic.
Please QSL to MaplRadio@gmail.com

Next weeks contest: guess how many Volkswagons can fit in Joy Behars mouth. I pick five.

If Rosie O'Donnell jumps in the water Rosie doesn't get wet, the water gets ugly.

Icom R9000 (yes, a R9000!)
Pixel magnetic loop

Offline Andrew Yoder

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
    • Hobby Broadcasting Blog
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2012, 1342 UTC »
#1 WRAM, May 1983
#2 Radio Clandestine, July 2, 1983
#3 KQSB, August (I think) 1983
Please QSL to: POB 109, BRS, PA 17214
Hobby Broadcasting Blog: http://hobbybroadcasting.blogspot.com/
Drake R8, AOR AR-7030, R-390A, R-388, SX-28A, Philco 44 + some others    Horizontal loops & 1/2-wave inverted V

Offline John Poet

• Lansing, Michigan, USA
  • I survived the Mad Lagomurph
    • View Profile
    • Free Radio Cafe forums
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2012, 1632 UTC »
It was either 'Free Radio North America', or 'WART' on shortwave.  I can't recall for sure, I heard them both within a month or two.... but I kind of think WART was first.  As I was already broadcasting TCS, I was much more focused on broadcasting than listening.

'WART' was more well-known as an AM pirate broadcasting to New York City.  I caught them on shortwave, called his announced loop number, and recognized him as someone who had called The Crystal Ship's telephone loop number a few weeks before.  Off-air he offered to do some work on our Knight T-150 transmitter which was having all kinds of fits, and did a great job on it for us, correcting many errors which the original kitbuilder had made, as well as replacing some aging parts.  WART used a Johnson Valiant II on both shortwave and the top of the AM band at that time, around 1620.

'Free Radio North America' was on Thanksgiving Day 1982.  They were quite powerful, broadcast station quality.  Unfortunately, it is said that they were busted within a week, and never replied to my reception report.

John Poet

"A treasonous voice of dissent"

The Crystal Ship Shortwave
Free Radio Cafe Forums

Offline Zoidberg

• DX Legend
  • Gopher Stomp, Texas
  • i c u
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2012, 1830 UTC »
Probably WGOE in Virginia, somewhere around 1590 or 1600 AM, early 1970s when I was visiting relatives in that area.  At least I think it was a pirate.  Sounded scurrilous enough.   :o
That li'l ol' DXer from Texas
Unpleasant Frequencies Crew
Al: Palstar R30C & various antennae
Snoopy: Sony ICF-2010
Roger: Magnavox D2935
(Off-air recordings.)

Offline DimBulb

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
  • New Hampshire
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2012, 2214 UTC »
Logged Pigmeat Radio on the FRN on 3/16/2007 (said he was only running 10 watts)

Logged Take It Easy Radio on #pirateradio on 3/17/2007

I don't remember what inspired me to listen for shortwave pirates (or what inspired me to choose my ID).
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 2218 UTC by DimBulb »

Offline moof

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2012, 2219 UTC »
Radio Wolf International 1990 I think on or near 7415 on a DX440.  I still have the QSL in an envelope and in the last year figured out who they were and we have even emailed a couple times. Very nice guy.  Amazing for me because I am not antisocial, just almost completely asocial, autistic-y, R. Crumb-ish.  Or robot-like or self-centered if you listen to my ex. :D

Offline myteaquinn

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2012, 0158 UTC »
I'm not sure which was my first pirate heard but I do remember my first pirate QSL; The Voice Of Syncom.
Northeast Ohio
Now using Shazam for song identification
myteaquinn@yahoo.com

Nella F.

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2012, 2029 UTC »
My first pirate catch was Radio Doomsday in March of 2002. No qsl. 26 minutes later good old Alan Maxwell boomed in. 6.950usb for both that evening. 1st. qsl from a pirate, too: "KIPM official QSL  #6_ _", the one with the kid's brain exploding out the top of his head.  
sooo many memories... ::)

Offline textim

• Raleigh, NC
  • Hello? *tap tap* Is this thing on?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2012, 0509 UTC »
The first pirate I ever heard was the Voice of Ganymede.  I don't recall the year although I'm reasonably sure it was pre-1979.  I had an old National receiver that I had picked up at a hamfest, with a hunk of wire strung up around the room.  I had their QSL as well, but it was lost long ago during one of many changes of residence.  I wish I still had it, as well as that old NC-2-40D receiver!
Raleigh, NC

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground T-Shirt
by MitchellTimeDesigns